Mosquito ringtone a.k.a., stop wasting money, I'm tone-deaf!!
May 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #16 of 68
A few interesting observation as I repeat the test, but with different gear:

1) With my PC on-board sound card headphone out, I can hear everything with my AD700. Same result as my first time when I used my Altec Lansing speaker. The only difference is, I can detect that the volume is going down as the freq goes up with headphone, but not much with speaker.

2) With my Go-Vibe USB DAC, I can only hear up till 15kHz before I have to turn the volume to max to hear the rest of the freq (was on 1/3 max before).

My conclusion is that the test is heavily equipment dependent (and it also tells me my sound card is less roll off at higher freq than my DAC).

May 13, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #17 of 68
I can't hear above 16khz, and I'm 18. I do believe that this test is heavily dependent on gear as well.

May 13, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 68
O.K., here's a question that I haven't heard anyone ask. How could a tone of that frequency POSSIBLY be reproduced by the garbage speaker that cell phones play ringtones through?

I believe the file actually encodes a tone at 18k or whatever it's supposed to be. I believe there are people who can hear to 20k and beyond. But I just don't believe that a cell phone can audibly reproduce that freq!!! The idea that kids are using this to covertly call or text each other sounds like high-grade hooey to me. I'd love Snopes to take a crack at this one.

I've been hearing about this alleged ringtone for over a year; I've heard segments about it on the BBC World Service and on NPR. There have been multiple threads about it here at Head-Fi (no worries, it's a fun topic, I don't mean that to be critical).

May 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few interesting observation as I repeat the test, but with different gear:

1) With my PC on-board sound card headphone out, I can hear everything with my AD700. Same result as my first time when I used my Altec Lansing speaker. The only difference is, I can detect that the volume is going down as the freq goes up with headphone, but not much with speaker.

2) With my Go-Vibe USB DAC, I can only hear up till 15kHz before I have to turn the volume to max to hear the rest of the freq (was on 1/3 max before).

My conclusion is that the test is heavily equipment dependent (and it also tells me my sound card is less roll off at higher freq than my DAC).

I think it's likely that your DAC is actually doing the job correctly and the soundcard is not. I say this because with my Benchmark DAC1 (which comes with test plots showing FLAT response) powering a GS-X or beta22 into 650's, D5000s and SA5000 I can't hear past 15.5 or so. No big surprise there; too many loud concerts and I'm 28. Also so you know I looked up on another site and the OHSA website and that's about right for my age the numbers on that website appear to be wrong.

But if I don't use a pure sinusoid (my signal gen software allows square waves, sawtooth, etc...)then I can "hear" the other tones as well.

May 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #20 of 68
Can't hear anything higher than 20Khz(Can hear 20Khz).
I assume it's alright.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: When I downloaded the 21Khz and the 22Khz noises i could hear them very clear when played in Winamp.
confused.gif

May 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's likely that your DAC is actually doing the job correctly and the soundcard is not..

I think neither are doing a great job. I just ask my sister to listen to those tracks with both my sound card and DAC, and she told me that she hear (and doesn't hear) the same sound as I did. She is 10 yrs younger than me and I don't think the chance of us sharing the same level of hearing is very high.

Myth busted?

May 13, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 68
20kHz on my HE60
19kHz, just, on my Logitech speakers

I doubt I would pick up on a 19kHz or 20kHz "ringtone" unless it was really quite loud. It would also have to be in a very quiet room as even the slightest noise drowns it out.

May 13, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 68
Is there something wrong with those? I hear those very weird. The 22k one gives just low frequencies. And the "lower" gives very different results. Weird. Or is it? Did I misunderstand the concept?

May 13, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 68
I wonder if some hardware cuts off the very high and the very low frequencies?

I can hear up to 17.4kHz, PC -> Creative Sound Blaster Digital Music SX -> Rotel RC-970BX -> Carver AV-405 -> cheap Chinese speakers -> my ears -> my brain -> my consciousness. Who should I blame?
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 68
on my crapy phones i can hear up to 20 but its faint.... could also be that i just got back from a metal concert like a day ago and the ringing in my ears hasent stoped yet.

May 13, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #27 of 68
I can hear up to 20. I'm soon 42.

May 13, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could hear them all, but the 22 was half the volume of the 19.

I am in my 30s'
and similar result here 21k and 22k just sounds like very low volume pink noises, maybe my headphones rolled off badly on high freqencies.

May 13, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K., here's a question that I haven't heard anyone ask. How could a tone of that frequency POSSIBLY be reproduced by the garbage speaker that cell phones play ringtones through?

I believe the file actually encodes a tone at 18k or whatever it's supposed to be. I believe there are people who can hear to 20k and beyond. But I just don't believe that a cell phone can audibly reproduce that freq!!! The idea that kids are using this to covertly call or text each other sounds like high-grade hooey to me. I'd love Snopes to take a crack at this one.

I've been hearing about this alleged ringtone for over a year; I've heard segments about it on the BBC World Service and on NPR. There have been multiple threads about it here at Head-Fi (no worries, it's a fun topic, I don't mean that to be critical).

Snopes doesn't have to do anything about this, because it really works. A co-worker had one, and as soon as it rang I asked what the noise was. He told me it was his ringtone, and everyone over 30 next to me couldn't hear it.

May 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #30 of 68
not a very accurate test..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back