Mosquito ringtone a.k.a., stop wasting money, I'm tone-deaf!!
May 14, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snopes doesn't have to do anything about this, because it really works. A co-worker had one, and as soon as it rang I asked what the noise was. He told me it was his ringtone, and everyone over 30 next to me couldn't hear it.

I sincerely doubt that a typical cell phone speaker (or any cell phone speaker, for that matter) can produce anything audible above 8 or 9K. We are talking about a part that costs a few cents and is designed to produce a narrow slice of midrange. I just don't believe that this is anything more than people refusing to admit that they aren't hearing anything.

Emperor's new ringtone?

May 14, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #34 of 68
I could here all of them clearly.

May 14, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robster1958 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this must have been covered but a search for "mosquito" did not turn this up:

Mosquito Ringtones - Download the Mosquito Ring Tone Free

I had heard about this for a while, and just now i stumbled across this "hearing test."

the test isnt very accurate. I have a real tone generator at work (professional cable provider and we do work and test audio signals) and the results are a bit different. I can hear up to 17khz when i crank the volume. On this web test i can hear almost up to 22khz....

May 14, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #37 of 68
21 easy at normal/quiet volumes, and 22 if I turn the volume knob a notch.
Thats odd, cause I'm extremely bad at distinguishing between bit-rate differences. No correlation I suppose.. =P

May 14, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 68
I can hear them all without changing volume enough that when i go back to the lower freq's it is much louder. Im 15.

I used my Livewires through the Behringer U Control USB.

Silent, and i can always hear a high pitched sine (not ringing) this is normal right? Just my ears searching for sounds? This sine masks out 17.4+ and makes them hard to hear, but i can just hear them if i stop it, then start it, it is noticable.

Is this very high pitched sine i hear in silence normal? I cant remember when it started, maybe it has always been like it, but i listen on low volumes, and stop turning the volume up when the channel imbalance on the lowest volumes go, and the soundstage is at its widest (maybe wider, but i dont like to go to loud). When i listen for it it is more noticabley annoying when its silent in bed.

Since joining i have used IEM's on low volumes, but i used to crank my CX300 canal phones up carelessly IIRC, but not as much as most kids max their ibuds too. I guess i have matured, and Head-fi has made me care for my hearing more...

When i go drag racing i wear ear defenders. I had to disable faulty smoke alarms (battery + dc power!) when going off about a year ago, and that is the only memorable time i may have damadged my hearing, but they had to be removed from the ceiling to cut the dc power, and my dad is disabled, so i had to do it....and stupidly didnt get my ear defenders out of my dads car, but i had been awoken by them both (upstairs and down) malfunctioning at 7am on a saturday morning, and woke the neighbour (semi-detached house.) They were hard to remove from their plates, and it took me a few minutes each. My ears were ringing afterwards, but it went away, just like i was told it would, just like after going to a loud concert.

I had impressions for my customs done, and the audiologist said my canals didnt have a problem with a lump of wax or anything, and i had the sine then too. Maybe she couldnt see far enough? I had my impressions taken to the second bend in the canal as per Earpeaces instructions.

Is my hearing damadged, or is this sine normal when everything is silent? Its not ringing, and not low pitched, but extremley high, and normally unoticable until there is TOTAL silence (eg. in bed/in a quiet room with my customs in)

Could the audiologist just not see far enough, and i have a lump of wax deeper in my canal or in build up deep in both canals?

Slightly curious about this.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

May 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #40 of 68
I'm 37 ("I'm not OLD!"...Monty Python reference...) and can hear up to 17K easily, but after that, nothing. I heard another one of these things recently, and I was the only one in my office that could hear an 18.5K tone. Dunno if I suffered serious hearing loss in the last year, but I doubt the accuracy of these things...

EDIT - If you want to play around with tone generation, I found this:
Tone Generator Software Download
You can create steady sine waves, square waves, triangular waves, whatever between 1,000 and 20,000hz...pretty cool!

May 15, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #42 of 68
i cannot believe we are using this a test for hearing. it is so far from what would be done in a proper hearing test that it is silly. again: if your iems can display the sound, then the wave is not going past 18khz and likely far below that

May 15, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sincerely doubt that a typical cell phone speaker (or any cell phone speaker, for that matter) can produce anything audible above 8 or 9K. We are talking about a part that costs a few cents and is designed to produce a narrow slice of midrange. I just don't believe that this is anything more than people refusing to admit that they aren't hearing anything.

Emperor's new ringtone?

Nope, it really works. He didn't even tell anyone about it. It just rang and I immediately noticed. Sorry to burst your bubble.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, it really works. He didn't even tell anyone about it. It just rang and I immediately noticed. Sorry to burst your bubble.
biggrin.gif

There is absolutely no way a cell phone speaker could audibly reproduce a frequency that high. Sorry do puncture your tall tale, but my bubble is fully intact.

May 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #45 of 68
You might try offering some technical details as to why it won't work, other than making assumptions. I heard it without even knowing about it, so that's proof. Or better yet, download one and try it for yourself. It would only take a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back