Morse Code vs. Text Messaging
Feb 24, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 19
Haven't used it much lately, but I learned code for amateur radio.

The FCC has since dropped the code requirement for General and Extra, but it is still worth learning. The amateur licenses are worth getting - the electronics sections teach you the fundamentals and you get a good grounding in RF, as well.

You still have to know Code for the commercial marine licenses, but I wonder how much longer that will last.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't used it much lately, but I learned code for amateur radio.

The FCC has since dropped the code requirement for General and Extra, but it is still worth learning. The amateur licenses are worth getting - the electronics sections teach you the fundamentals and you get a good grounding in RF, as well.

You still have to know Code for the commercial marine licenses, but I wonder how much longer that will last.

You mean it was dropped as the standard, or dropped altogether? Wouldn't it be a requirement to still be fluent in this code for the "just-in-case" scenarios?

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 19
And I can get stuff done 10 times as fast with a console and keyboard as you can with a mouse; doesn't mean the keyboard is the technology that wins (or, even, the superior technology). Ease of use is an increasingly important factor.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Yeah. In fairness, it looked like those guys were using flip phones without full keyboards. I've seen some crazy text messaging on the iPhone that would kill morse-code hands down.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. In fairness, it looked like those guys were using flip phones without full keyboards.

Which is what 99% of the text-messaging world uses. It's the only fair basis for a test. We're not comparing Morse Code to typing, we're comparing it to text-messaging.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 19
I'll take a chisel and clay tablet thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back