more power than the UHA-4 for K701s
May 20, 2011 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PopandLocke

New Head-Fier
I took a chance on a Leckerton UHA-4 in the hopes that it might drive my K701s on the go, but it doesn't quite have the power I'm hoping for. It's better than plugging straight into my iDevice, but honestly, not by a huge amount.

I've been thinking about ordering the TTVJ Slim or the Arrow 12he to compare with it and returning the UHA-4 if whatever I order drives it better, but I like having the DAC, which isn't available on the Arrow and pushes the price of the TTVJ a bit out of my comfort zone.  Does anyone have any other recommendations?  

May 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Hmmm, the K701's are known for being VERY difficult to drive, some home amps can't even do it, I think there is a new IBasso offering that has quite a bit of juice, I think it is called the P4

May 20, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hmmm, the K701's are known for being VERY difficult to drive, some home amps can't even do it, I think there is a new IBasso offering that has quite a bit of juice, I think it is called the P4

Sigh, such a lovely soundstage, but so very demanding…  

Have you heard anything about the iBasso D6?  It seems to have similar power output (at least judging by their listed specs).  The D2+ also looks interesting, but they don't list a specific power output, so I'd imagine it's nothing special.  

May 24, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 7
I doubt that any of the iBasso amps prior to the current gen (P4/D6 and the balanced amps) would drive the K701. If you find headphoneaddict's old thread, he makes a point of the fact that the D4 has significantly more power than the earlier 'D' series amps. Given that it wasnt enough for my K601, I dont hold out much hope for the D2+ powering the K701, even with an opamp upgrade - always happy to hear otherwise.

May 24, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 7
The D6 is on its way to me, so I'll be able to offer my impressions (such as they are) soon enough.  I like how we're carrying out this conversation over several different threads. 

May 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
The D6 is on its way to me, so I'll be able to offer my impressions (such as they are) soon enough.  I like how we're carrying out this conversation over several different threads. 

Wait till you are carrying on a conversation over several different forums. You might be surprised by how many folk elsewhere will refer to something they 'saw on Head-Fi', and it can easily get tangled when they dont have English as their first language. I once posted that sales of a portable amp had 'exploded' following a favourable review - that was construed by a poster on sgheadphones to mean that one of the amps had actually exploded. And they said those speed reading courses wouldnt pay off  :wink:

May 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Wait till you are carrying on a conversation over several different forums. You might be surprised by how many folk elsewhere will refer to something they 'saw on Head-Fi', and it can easily get tangled when they dont have English as their first language. I once posted that sales of a portable amp had 'exploded' following a favourable review - that was construed by a poster on sgheadphones to mean that one of the amps had actually exploded. And they said those speed reading courses wouldnt pay off  :wink:

HA, nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back