More natural headphones
Jun 14, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #31 of 41
If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find a lot of info on the Sony's. They've been the subject of multiple reviews and impressions in the somewhat short time since they've been launched.

Also, try to arrange an audition before buying whatever you choose to get. Guitar Center may stock the Beyers, and a dedicated Sony store should stock the SA1k and up to the Qualia 010. Your ears will be a much better recommendation than all of our opinions put together.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
The solution is simple. Just turn the bass down a tad, or better yet, get a good graphic equalizer. It sounds like you're 90% there. A simple EQ tweak will take you to where you want to be. The 590s are very natural sounding cans. You can find more detailed, but not more natural.

See ya
Steve

Sorry, but I disagree totally!

I live in the middle of acoustic instruments since I was born, all instruments... so i think to have about 24 years of direct experience in listening and playing instruments, particularly clarinet, bass clarinet, piano, flute and percussion.

I had the HD590 and I've never had an headphone so "false" in the timbre of the instruments. Sometimes they are simply unrecognizable, sometimes they truly disappear (specially if they are in the mid region).

just my two cents but... I can't see how the HD590 can be called "natural".

bye
Andrea

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I try to be more clear: it is not the overall balance, which is "warmer" in the HD650, is the timbre of some instruments in high ahd mid-highs regions that was for sometime a little bit too "electric".

It's a Senn sound signature that belongs also to the PX100, HD497 for what I've heard.

No problem for impedance.

Just my opinion and my ears, however.

Bye
Andrea

I strongly disagree.

My "truth" is just your statement reversed. 'Perfectly' natural and nothing "metallic", or "electric", by any stretch of the imagination. In MY system. To MANY ears though.
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I strongly disagree.

My "truth" is just your statement reversed. 'Perfectly' natural and nothing "metallic", or "electric", by any stretch of the imagination. In MY system. To MANY ears though.
wink.gif

Maybe you don't understand or you are not able to "connect" some things.

I'm not saying that the HD650 are "electric" in absolute, Jesus! They are beuautiful cans!

I'm saying that I've found the DT880 a bit more natural in the timbre of the instruments. And you can not agree or disagree, because you have not heard the DT880 as for the other top cans. Understood?

Andrea

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #35 of 41
Yup, understood. The DT880 is "smooth to a fault", said someone.

Sorry to say that, but, I think, you're picking on one of the best things about the HD650 ...

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #36 of 41
I report only what I've heard. I hope you can do the same, one of these days.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #37 of 41
* sorry double post

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #38 of 41
Obviously I'm reporting what I've heard too when I protect the HD650 from your funny criticisms.
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nm2285
OK, so now my shortlist gets longer:

Beyer dt880
Beyer dt860
Beyer dt660
Sony SA1000
Sony SA3000
AKG K501
AKG 240S

Anyone wish to offer a comment on the Sonys? I haven't heard anything since the original recommendation.

If it's natural, neutral sound you're after, I would cancel the Sonys. I have the SA5000, and while it's a very clean and detailed sounding headphone, it's also artificial, bright and inhomogeneous (to my ears), and the lower models are said to pursue the same route and to be even brighter and leaner.

I would also cancel the DT 660 and 860. I have the latter and heard the DT 660; both have a strong emphasis on the lower treble, particularly the DT 860, and sound very unnatural to me.

The DT 880 is a quite natural sounding headphone (with a slight emphasis on high frequencies), and the same applies to the the K 501 with its accurate midrange if you can accept a slight lack of bass or have compensating electronics.

The most natural sounding headphones to my ears are HD 600 and HD 650; the latter sounds smoother and has clearly better resolution than the former, which in turn sounds a bit airier.

If you're open to electrostatics, the SR-404 might be an option: It has the highest resolution and detail of all headphones mentioned and a quite neutral sonic balance -- although actually its frequency response isn't exactly flat -- with good extension to both directions. I can't deny though that I don't perceive electrostatics as optimal when it comes to naturalness. There's a slight technical flavor (although not too pronounced with the SR-404) and a trace of sharpness in treble. Also they generally lack a bit of the substance and attack dynamic headphones have to offer.

peacesign.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

I live in the middle of acoustic instruments since I was born, all instruments... so i think to have about 24 years of direct experience in listening and playing instruments, particularly clarinet, bass clarinet, piano, flute and percussion.

I had the HD590 and I've never had an headphone so "false" in the timbre of the instruments. Sometimes they are simply unrecognizable, sometimes they truly disappear (specially if they are in the mid region).

And, amartignano, please consider the fact that you're not the only one around here to have a good experience of live sound. Me, you know, I've played the piano for long ...I'm playing even as I write (see avatar)
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Perhaps you got a bad pair. I'm a sound engineer and I use HD-590s for pinpointing EQ tweaks. No other set of cans I've tried has been so good at letting me know what it's going to sound like through good speakers. With other headphones, exaggerated high mids and bass humps would make me overcompensate in my corrections, resulting in a really thin sound when monitored through my speakers. Most headphones I hear have way too much up close detail. That's what makes acoustic instruments sound false to me. I look for perfectly smooth balance.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back