More natural headphones
Jun 13, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 41
Man, I wasn't expecting quite this much feedback by this morning! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Emon:
I also find the ER-6s to be quite defined and detailed. I'm searching for headphones that will be more refined than those. The Etymotics are somewhat harsh/rough around the edges. Of course, for their price and purpose, they're fantastic.

As for amplification, I use the headphone stage in my NAD C370. Sources: Harman Kardon DVD101 (suprisingly good for CDs!), Technics SL-1600MKII turntable, DishNetwork HD receiver, or D-Link DSM-320 Digital Media Streamer.

I think I'll probably stay away from further Senns because of all the disagreement in their sound and the fact that I've tried two and neither have quite worked out for me. Keep anymore recommendations you have coming!

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 41
I really wouldn't feel like generalising from the sound of the HD497 and all the more so that of the HD590 -- moreover, the newest models/ranges are a definite change (for the better imo) from the more genuine sennheiser sound -- but in the end, it's alright for you to go the way you're drown to yourself (if there's any clearer one).
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 41
So I see my most interesting choices as:

Beyerdynamic DT880, Sony SA1000, Sony SA3000, AKG 240M

Has anybody compared all 4? Any of the 4? I'd love to hear comparison impressions. Also, other recommendations certainly still welcome.

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
holy goly...
eek.gif
...strange things are happening around these forums...
biggrin.gif

maybe you're just a victim of higher impedance on your integrated amps output, amartignano?

I try to be more clear: it is not the overall balance, which is "warmer" in the HD650, is the timbre of some instruments in high ahd mid-highs regions that was for sometime a little bit too "electric".

It's a Senn sound signature that belongs also to the PX100, HD497 for what I've heard.

No problem for impedance.

Just my opinion and my ears, however.

Bye
Andrea

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 41
The solution is simple. Just turn the bass down a tad, or better yet, get a good graphic equalizer. It sounds like you're 90% there. A simple EQ tweak will take you to where you want to be. The 590s are very natural sounding cans. You can find more detailed, but not more natural.

See ya
Steve

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 41
You might also want to check out the K501s...I say this as someone who's selling the K501s, because they're too natural for my taste
wink.gif
basshead.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
I regularly read of people here who prefer what to my ears would be an overly
soft and rolled off sound, warm mellow and easy going, and on the most part
a seemingly very enjoyable presentation.
My own preference is for a more incisive top end presentation, and when
I read of people describing the former warm sounding presentations as
neutral or natural I tend to think, huh?

The way to understand it is to think of the difference between sitting in a room with an acoustic guitar or piano or hearing the same instruments with up close miking. The up close miking sounds good and bright with tons of sparkle and detail, but it isn't natural.

Those who are used to listening to live acoustic music or through their high end speakers prefer a headphone with a more natural balance to those with a more detailed and up front one. I find for listening to headphones for long periods of time, a natural presentation is much less fatiguing.

See ya
Steve

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 41
I guess when I mean natural, I mean flatter. I'd like less emphasis in the lower midrange and have a flatter sounding headphone. Maybe a good way to put it would be a "drier" midrange as opposed to the "soggy" midrange provided by the Senns. An equalizer would be a good idea except that a decent could cost nearly as much as the headphones.

Those AKG 501s...are they very flat sounding? If they're for sale, I could potentially be interested. How much are you asking?

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 41
pm sent re: forsale

They really are very flat. I like them a lot for female vocals and for jazz. The longer I go without listening to my darth beyers the more pleasing these sound. But at the end of the day, I like my music to be more engaging.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #27 of 41
Kindly eliminate the 240M as it's not only neutral, but terribly flat sounding with a slightly muddy lower midrange and compressed highs. The K501's are a spectacular improvement over them in every way except isolation. The K240S is supposed to be much better than the 240M according to others, may want to give those a shot too. If you have big ears though, forget the 240, the pleather pads press them against your head and if you listen for more than a half hour tend to get uncomfortable.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
my akg 240m headphones were pretty darn neutral, if you want to hear how the actual recording sounds, these are pretty good.

If you keep pimping those cans I'm going to have to give them a try...

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nm2285
I guess when I mean natural, I mean flatter. I'd like less emphasis in the lower midrange and have a flatter sounding headphone. Maybe a good way to put it would be a "drier" midrange as opposed to the "soggy" midrange provided by the Senns. An equalizer would be a good idea except that a decent could cost nearly as much as the headphones.

Those AKG 501s...are they very flat sounding? If they're for sale, I could potentially be interested. How much are you asking?

[size=small]
If you are looking for flat, natural-sounding phones, the most obvious candidate would be the Joe Grado HP1/HP2 cans. Now strap yourself in and brace yourself for the attack of the HP1000 love club!
biggrin.gif

[/size]

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 41
OK, so now my shortlist gets longer:

Beyer dt880
Beyer dt860
Beyer dt660
Sony SA1000
Sony SA3000
AKG K501
AKG 240S

Anyone wish to offer a comment on the Sonys? I haven't heard anything since the original recommendation. Also, whats the price range for the Grados? And are they sufficiently different sounding from the SR line? I don't like them so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back