MOONDROP's first planar earphone - STELLARIS is up now!
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #17 of 33
oooh this means we need a comparison to crin's planar iem hahahaha

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #18 of 33
Alright, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you think about your marketing prose. There are some here that will not buy simply because there is absolutely NOTHING holy about hell. May God bless you.
We all know how people/companies here go out of their way to sound descriptive. Find it difficult to believe that for $110 they're a technical marvel and sound incredible.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #20 of 33
I wonder how they are compared, I have them, and they sound really good once you put a silver plated cable.
Wu Zetian HiFi 14.5mm,

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #22 of 33
Alright! Let’s get to testing!!
EF8D6CC2-1D0C-4A5F-A3D7-43024CB4D242.jpeg

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 33
Extremely bright and raw sounding. It’s way too much for me personally. As someone who doesn’t put effort into EQ, I think these will be be great for people who like intense treble. Minus the the treble complaint, I think the bass is done pretty well and the mids are super crisp.

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #25 of 33

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #28 of 33
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Dec 26, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #29 of 33
Nope… the engineers has been staying quiet for a while.
Thank you.

Could you let Engineers to reconsider instead of refining S8, maybe considering refining RS10, with making sense level of price offering?
Nowadays people wanted S8 have already got it, so it will be making more sense for bringing the $2k high-end to $sub 1k. Hopefully $799. Thannks!

So, I guess your twitter post about mysterious FR was Jiu then🤔

Re-sharing from twitter
ADEF9A11-7BAB-411E-BE7E-1A51617B751F.jpeg

5B1342F9-1B8D-4870-8C1B-91729F470E77.jpeg

9B49B007-31B9-4D74-9656-ED2F5BDC588C.jpeg

And late but merry Christmas!

Another repost from Moondrop twitter.
A31B6ED6-B207-44C0-B0E8-8E132635FCFE.jpeg

Love your twitter’s PR actresses!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #30 of 33
Because the Stellaris are not part of the positive online and social media group-think, let me just say these are tremendous, *especially* at that price. I am not a Moondrop fanboy by any means-it just is so very "full frequency-response" sounding. It does not have the "wow" effect of some IEM's soundstage (much less good open headphones), or super holographic representation, but sounds darn nice. I have a few following caveats, but do absolutely love them so far.

Cons:

-need more power; not too much, but more than the usual balanced armature IEM

-need precise fit-*all* IEMs do, but these are not forgiving and will sound *bad* if not fit well

-the new silicon tips are very unique sounding, but on my experience, hype bass, upper mids, and highs-it will make the Stellaris more challenging for some listeners sensitive to treble. I can use them but am not treble sensitive-still, some albums sounded a bit too much. I am currently using Spiral Dot++ (ML in my case) which cleans up everything and makes it sound extremely "hifi" and excellent sounding. It does sound good and "normal" with the stock, clear silicon tips, but some recordings are not as forgiving as others. Consider the silicon stock tips as a "tone enhancer" you may or not need (I haven't tried the foam tips as I never use them, of any type or brand.) Not "bad", but do affect the tone of anything they go into (I tried them in other IEMs, and they are not subtle in the way they alter the sound.)

Positives-very natural everywhere, forget the frequency response analysis of some. There are no big spikes everywhere, and the mids to upper mids climb is not far off from many well known IEMs. The upper treble emphasis is excellent, and its most loved quality by this "broken ears" listener, as many pro audiophiles would likely describe me.

In short, with this product, Moondrop falls victim to itself, by generally adhering to a well accepted curve in most of their products, and being punished when they do something even slightly different (because really, it sounds "standard" to me vs many other brands' tunings!) The planar driver gives great, great, extended lows that are never muddy, crystal clear highs, and doesn't over do it with an overly high 8k to 10k over emphasis as many treble happy IEMs and headphones tend to do (I do like that emphasis but recognize it is much more offensive to most ears than the brilliance region the Stellaris emphasize.)

It is definitely a "no" if you know you hate extended treble response. I crave it, and it is especially well done in the Stellaris, as nothing sounds truly thin (compare it to, say, the Ikko OH-1S which I have and like, but do not use much-IMHO, the Stellaris treble is better extended and much more pleasing to "most"; the Ikko has decent bass, Stellaris extends much better, is cleaner, but also super deep.)

I have and love DT990s-please do not think the Stellaris are that in IEM form. *Very* different treble presentation. I frankly am quite positively impressed by these affordable IEMs.

Weight is fine-they won't fall off, and you do not feel them much once fit well. Do feel heavy on the hand, but not on-ears. People likely feel the weight on their hands and let that influence their reactions on-ear. IME it is zero-trouble. Great fit and isolation.

The stock silicon tips are less forgiving of fit. They tend towards brightness, but still have a very powerful bass presence. If it sounds like "needle upper mids", bad bass, and bad treble extension, they are not fitting well. Seems like a good material, but quirky. Once the intended fit for your ears is reached, it will sound good, though the Spiral Dot++, IME, offer a more refined, beautiful sound-along an easier fit.

Classical is too good, every violin detail is superb during pianissimos. One can see the soloist playing in front of the microphone. Truly amazing. The airy extension is "killer".

Great cymbals, though I am sure many of you are wary of these sounds. I hate recessed cymbals. We can be different, no?

And just $109.99-the icing on the cake.

Included cable seems fine-I have good cables that do change the tone, but sometimes a change is not always good. Yes, for IEMs it often matters. I prefer to stick to this cable, because I feel my balanced cable may bring too much of a bassy response. I prefer this "clean" approach, and I think the cable they chose is more than good enough (aesthetically pleasing as well, if a bit simple vs the premium cables.) The bass it has is already excellent, so a "bass enhancing" cable is likely not needed-at least for what I like.

A "better" IEM all-rounder will probably have less bass and treble extension, and a slightly milder upper-mids climb. But I have many, many of those "reference" IEMs and headphones. Allow me to disagree with the current group-think: I feel the Moondrop Stellaris are excellent, and am happy with the gamble I took in purchasing them without any previous listening experience.

Each to their own-agreeing to disagree is always a good thing. Happy music listening to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back