Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #256 of 384
Well, I just received this morning (in France) my VENUS upgrade balanced cable (UP series) with its XLR--> 6..35 mm Jack adapter, for my 2A3 tube amp.

The packaging of these cables is worthy of luxury Japanese production: impeccable: bravo to the little, very attentive Chinese hands.

The UP cable (and adapter) are superb; impeccable finish.

24012612415423553818344351.jpg

24012612415523553818344352.jpg

24012612415523553818344353.jpg

All that remains is to listen to the VENUS with it's upgrade cable (this afternoon) :).
(Note: My son's PARA inherits the silver V-LINE cable from the VENUS, for even more transparency for this headphone revealing a very beautiful, precise and clear midrange).

This afternoon I was able to listen to my VENUS headphones with their UP series pure copper Litz wire symmetrical upgrade cable versus the V-Line series silver-plated copper symmetrical stock cable supplied with the VENUS.

I must admit I was a little disappointed by this new UP cable; indeed, this UP series cable brings more warmth to the sound of the VENUS, but also a greater mattness; but for my ear, the VENUS didn't need it; compared with the silver-plated V-Line cable, we lose a little in sonic relief, sonic detail and "breathing"; the sound is more uniform and that's a bit of a shame. What's more, this UP cable is heavier and thicker than the VENUS V-Line silver-plated stock cable, which adds slightly to the weight of the headphone.

I then listened to my son's PARA headphones with this same new UP-series pure copper balanced cable, compared to the other balanced, silver (V-Line series) cable of the VENUS.

24012603424323553818344428.jpg

Both cables are interesting for the PARA, compared with the black stock cable (3.5 mm unbalanced jack) supplied with the PARA.

First of all (but this is not my case), these two balanced cables will bring more power (and gain) to the PARA if you have a headphone amp with true balanced outputs (XLR 4-pin or 4.4 mm balanced jack).

In terms of sound, as already mentioned, the VENUS' silver-plated cable gives the PARA a more transparent and slightly more defined sound, further enhancing the PARA's sensation of great clarity in the midrange and upper midrange (highlighted), but with a sound that's a little light, lacking a little thickness and warmth.

This is where the UP series pure copper symmetrical cable comes in, which is interesting with the PARA, bringing a certain warmth and fullness (thickness) to the midrange (which was a little lacking); the upper midrange is less emphasized; the highs are slightly recessed, smoother, which by contrast, when listening a little louder, gives a better perception and fullness of the bass.
Overall, listening is more pleasant, more euphonious and smoother, with this UP cable as a possible upgrade to the PARA (compared with its stock cable).

In short, these two upgrade cables for the PARA : UP series (pure copper) and V-Line (silver-plated copper) each bring something more (but different) to the PARA; I like them both and prefer them both to the PARA's stock (black) cable.

After all, as always, the choice of cables (and headphones) is above all a matter of taste and ear sensitivity; nothing will replace your own listening to these headphones and upgrade cables. You've been warned.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #257 of 384
DSC04558.JPG

DSC04547.JPG

I've put them through their paces, and they've passed flawlessly. My initial impression of them were they were exceptional, and that opinion has solidified.

I started out by running them through my various amps to see what power draw was like. I use Beastie Boys's 3-Minute Rule to really press the amps ability to output power, as there are multiple layers of low-bass, which draws more power than most other songs, and is very obvious to me when it distorts. I have kind of a broad selection of "normal" amps to get an idea of where the headphones can and can't perform under typical circumstances, from the lowly Apple Type-C dongle, to my Schiit Jote 2. To cut to the chase: it's not very interesting. As long as there's enough gain, and your amp can actually output to low impedance headphones, they're easy to drive. The Apple Type-C dongle I use for my easy-to-drive headphones didn't have enough volume to enjoy listening to, which is a shame. The Woo Audio WA2 almost literally can't push any electricity into 8 ohms, so I had to crank the volume to like 75% to get listenable volume, and then it was distorting like crazy. The Sony PHA-2A shown in the picture has both balanced and single-end out, and even the modest single-end output powered them with no issues whatsoever, with plenty of volume headroom and no distortion. Naturally, then, the Schiit Jote 2 was the same.

The next test was a battery of my most unforgiving songs. The most noteworthy song for being basically un-listenable on bright headphones is Tegan and Sara's Dying to Know. I used it for my Sundara Closed, and it was one of the most miserable experiences I've had with headphones on. The Para? Handles it beautifully. Even at high volumes it doesn't become sharp and unpleasant. It's kind of odd, too, because it's not muffled or foggy, or have any loss of definition. It just takes the edge off in a clean, non-destructive way. In fact, just in general these headphones handle high volumes very well without completly breaking down.

I'm sorta split on what the strongest aspect of this headphone is: the overall balance of it, or the mid range. I mentioned before that it's a mid-y headphone, which it is, but that doesn't accurately reflect the general sound of the headphone. Something like the AKG K612 or the CD900ST I used to own were mid-centric headphones, but they achieved that with huge sacrifices to other aspects. They both lacked low bass, they both had uneven treble, and the K612 could be shouty in the mids. In order to enjoy those you really need to want just mids. With these, you don't have to settle like that. Treble is beautifully extended, with dips and peaks in all the right places to avoid irritating and excessive brightness. These seem to peak more in the extreme high-treble, which is fine by me; it really allows them to sparkle and bite only when they need to.

Voices sound absolutely fantastic on these; probably the best of any headphone I own at the moment. It's full bodied, with tons of raw fine detail, but it's also remarkable in that it handles smoother, usually female voices excellently. I typically find that with most headphones you're stuck with headphones excelling with either gruff voices or smooth voices, but not both. The only aspect of the headphone that I don't have glowing opinions on are the bass frequencies. Don't get me wrong, the bass is good, it just doesn't satisfy the bass lust I've cultivated since getting the HE-R9. Still, it does extend low, with an acceptable level of impact, and it's a clear, unambiguous step up from the Hifiman Sundara. The headphone in general could best be described as being on the cool side, but it doesn't fall into any of the traps that "cool" headphones normally do: it's not overly bright, it doesn't lack bass, and the mids aren't shouty. It makes a good argument as to why "warm" isn't the ultimate ideal for a headphone, and makes it seem like other companies aren't even trying to refine the "cool" sound.

This is going to be a headphone that sticks around in my collection for a good, long while. There's really nothing else like it, ticking so many boxes, yet cutting its own path through the endless "reference" headphones. Every time a headphone comes out that really rattles my cage, I have to remember where this hobby was when I first joined it. The AKG K701/K702 was like $500-ish, and this Para is so, so, so much more headphone; back then people would have gladly paid $1000+ for it. At $300 this is going to easily be my go-to recommendation for just about everyone. Nothing is even competing at this price point.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #258 of 384
Hello everyone.

Hello @Kukuk, and thank you for your excellent feedback on the Moondrop PARA headphones.

You would be ready to pay 1000 Euros/dollars (instead of 300 Euros/dollar) for the PARA, so much its global qualities (and in particular its excellent midrange) impress you ; and well me too.

Likewise, I'd be prepared to pay 3000 Euros/dollars (instead of 600 dollars) for the VENUS, so impressed am I by its qualities, on a very good hi-fi system.

Now it's my turn to speak highly of the Moondrop PARA headphones that I may have been unwise enough to give to my son, especially since I upgraded them with Moondrop's upgrade cable, the UP series symmetrical cable, which corrected, for my ear, some of the PARA's shortcomings (with its stock cable), and further improved the quality of the midrange, with its astonishing tonal accuracy and clarity (which is no longer shouty in the upper midrange with this upgrade cable).

I agree with you, @Kukuk, on the need for amplification with sufficient gain, capable of delivering enough current to make the PARA work properly.
Besides my Viva 2A3 tube amp, delivering at least 500 mW on the 8 Ohm of the PARA (and at least 1 Watt on the 18 Ohm of the VENUS), well, my son's little integrated amplifier, the Matrix M Stage amp, a 200 Euros solid state headphone amp, delivers at least 400 mW on 8 and 18 Ohm; the best sound is obtained, with this amp Matrix, with the maximum (adjustable) gain: + 20 dB.

With Moondrop's UP upgrade cable, the PARA literally blew me away with its overall balance and tonal accuracy (even better than that of the VENUS for listening to various classical music instruments, such as those in this excellent video (below), set to orchestral music by Tchaikowski - Swan lake).

The tonal accuracy of the instruments is amazing, with the headphone PARA and this upgrade cable UP.
All the musical instruments sound really well, with great smoothness and fluidity (violins, cello, double bass, transverse flutes, clarinet, bassoons, various brass instruments, timpani, etc.); the cymbal sounds particularly true, with body and harmonic extension (better than with the VENUS, where the harmonic extension is a little too prominent, a little too bright).

The VENUS with its silver symmetrical stock cable, a little less tonally accurate than the headphone PARA and its symmetrical upgrade cable UP, is distinguished from the PARA by a more voluminous, more extended, more spacious soundstage (in the sense of less compact); we are here longer located inside the orchestra surrounded by different musical instruments; the sound is also more precise, more detailed, more incisive, more extended at both ends (bass and treble), less mid-centric, even if I repeat, a little less tonally accurate than the PARA; the dynamics of the VENUS are superior; the sound is more involving, contrasted and “live”.

24012710375023553818345037.jpg

Moondrop VENUS: silver-colored headphones (just like its stock symetric cable plated silver), whose silver, chevron-shaped external grille here reflects the Lamborghini orange color of my Viva 2A3 headphone amp on which it is placed.
(Note: cropped photo, but not retouched, without flash, in natural light. AF-S Nikkor 85 mm 1/1.4 G photo lens open to f2 - Nikon D300s - 800 Iso; exposure time 1/20 seconds).

On a suitable recording, the VENUS is excellent for vocals, with voices a little less emphasized than the PARA, more integrated with the accompaniment instruments more present at both ends of the audio spectrum (bass and treble).
The three registers (bass, medium treble) are more balanced with VENUS than the comparatively more mid-centric PARA.
The PARA, emphasizing the medium register, is also excellent for vocals, with great clarity and smoothness, with very good tonal accuracy.

In short, I will even come to regret having given my eldest son the PARA, especially since it was improved with this UP upgrade cable.

But my son's bedroom is not too far from my listening room and my main hi-fi system, I think I would borrow his PARA from time to time, just for the tonal accuracy of its midrange and its great softness and smoothness.

24012707583423553818345018.jpg

Moondrop PARA and its upgrade cable UP + Jack 6.35 mm adaptor (background) on my eldest son's desk, along with the VENUS (and its stock cable) (in foreground) with, here, the small Matrix M Stage solid state amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #259 of 384
The AKG K701/K702 was like $500-ish, and this Para is so, so, so much more headphone; back then people would have gladly paid $1000+ for it. At $300 this is going to easily be my go-to recommendation for just about everyone. Nothing is even competing at this price point.

You would be ready to pay 1000 Euros/dollars (instead of 300 Euros/dollar) for the PARA, so much its global qualities (and in particular its excellent midrange) impress you ; and well me too.

Likewise, I'd be prepared to pay 3000 Euros/dollars (instead of 600 dollars) for the VENUS, so impressed am I by its qualities, on a very good hi-fi system.
C'mon guys don't give Moondrop any ideas now...😁

I also bought a dedicated pure copper "upgrade" cable for the Venus. It's the Tripowin GranVia. Tripowin is a Chinese brand known for their high quality low cost IEM cables such as the C8 cable which I own. I think the GranVia is the only headphone cable they made so far.

Unfortunately I won't get to try it for at least another month as I'm out of town and away from my Venus. The cable is waiting for me at home.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #260 of 384
Hello everyone.

In the case of low impedance headphones (like the 8 Ohm of the Moondrop PARA), with a thick copper cable (like the Moondrop UP or the one in this video below) versus the "thin" black stock cable of the PARA, changes in FR can be objectively measured and are in line with my perception of a more matte (less shiny), warmer PARA listening experience with Moondrop's UP (thick) upgrade cable versus the basic (black) stock cable, or the silver plated supplied with the VENUS (both thinner cable than the cable UP).

24020703482823553818352791.png

24012707583423553818345018.jpg

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #261 of 384
That high frequency roll off is an interaction of cable capacitance with high output impedance, into a low impedance load. Buying an uber expensive fat boutique headphone cable doesn't guarantee low capacitance.

So reiterating what I said way upthread, high output impedance amps just aren't designed to run loads like this, even if they have enough 'power'. Low output impedance is the only way you will get the best out of these <20 ohm headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #262 of 384
Eric!!! It seems that the old Nightwish members are preparing a live show for South America. I'm glad about this, but will be better if all of them cooperate with two singers (Tarja and Floor) :relaxed: :metal: It's funny to see them pronouncing places in spanish :wink:

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #263 of 384
Eric!!! It seems that the old Nightwish members are preparing a live show for South America. I'm glad about this, but will be better if all of them cooperate with two singers (Tarja and Floor) :relaxed: :metal: It's funny to see them pronouncing places in spanish :wink:

Good evening Terriero. :)

I'm glad that Marko has come out of his slump and is singing again with the first female singer of the band Nightwish, with singer Tarja.
I like Tarja's voice and Marko's, although I like Floor's voice even more.

I hope Marko joins Nightwish again, after they split up for personal reasons, because the band misses his voice, which complements Floor's (and Tarja's).

That said, these female and male voices are very well rendered, both with the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro headphones (aka HD-560S 2023, less bright in the treble (warmer in tone) than the old HD-560S, pre 2023) and also the HD-58X, even warmer in tone ; but also with the Moondrop PARA and VENUS planar headphones, with a slight preference for the VENUS for its precision, XXL soundstage and extra dynamism, over the PARA, which doesn't fall short, especially with its Upgrade cable (slightly warmer sound than with the stock cable).

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #264 of 384
Good evening Terriero. :)

I'm glad that Marko has come out of his slump and is singing again with the first female singer of the band Nightwish, with singer Tarja.
I like Tarja's voice and Marko's, although I like Floor's voice even more.

I hope Marko joins Nightwish again, after they split up for personal reasons, because the band misses his voice, which complements Floor's (and Tarja's).

That said, these female and male voices are very well rendered, both with the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro headphones (aka HD-560S 2023, less bright in the treble (warmer in tone) than the old HD-560S, pre 2023) and also the HD-58X, even warmer in tone ; but also with the Moondrop PARA and VENUS planar headphones, with a slight preference for the VENUS for its precision, XXL soundstage and extra dynamism, over the PARA, which doesn't fall short, especially with its Upgrade cable (slightly warmer sound than with the stock cable).
I want to stick with the 58Xs, because I'm in love with them :smile: These cans impress me a lot, even more given their low price. Recently, I also bought the Shures 1540, due to their comfort and to perceive an approach of the Harman tuning (with an elevated mid-bass)... I'm waiting for them to arrive here... Let's see if I like them, being closed back I would use them in some ocassions...

Ans yes, I'm tempted by other headphones, but I want to fall short, because I would not have enough time to enjoy them all, and the most important thing is the music and to discover new albums and genres/sub-genres, although I also like to revisit some albums with new headphones, but I prefer the former aspect of this hobby :L3000:

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #266 of 384
BTW, I found one Moondrop Venus unit at a little more price of a new Para in the classifieds... If anyone is interested (but only USA).
Hi Terriero.

VENUS and PARA are two very different headphones in terms of tone.

24021506473923553818357443.png

I know you're a big fan of Sennheiser headphones, especially the HD-800 and more recently the HD58X.

Tonally speaking, the VENUS is quite similar to the HD-800S, with a little more bass (very fast and dynamic) and a little less treble at 6 kHz.

24021507250823553818357448.png

If I had to rank the volume of the soundstage, I'd classify the headphones as follows: HD800 > VENUS > PARA > HD58X.

Otherwise, the VENUS has a joker card, an advantage (which it shares with the Abyss), but which the PARA and Sennheiser headphones (HD-58X and HD800) don't have: it can boost the bass (and its dynamics) by around +3 dB between 30 Hz and 70 Hz, by slightly unsealing the VENUS pads on their front (2-3 mm of unsealing), which apparently PARA can't do with its hybrid (stock) pads, nor, I presume, Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S headphones with their velvet pads.

24021508445623553818357475.jpg

Note: this graph demonstrates how a small leakage (simulated using thin-armed glasses) can result in FR change.

24021508445623553818357474.jpg

Note: this graph demonstrates how a small leakage (simulated using thin-armed glasses) can result in FR change.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #267 of 384
The Venus and Para really needs powerful DACs and amps to drive it to optimal sounds. I just upgraded my chain from Bifrost/jot2 to yggy/MJ3 and the Para sounds much better and getting closer to the quality of the HiFiman HeK stealth (1.4k USD headphones) in mids though it still lags behind in bass and clarity. Where the Para shines are the vocal focused songs. So smooth and clear.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #268 of 384
The Venus and Para really needs powerful DACs and amps to drive it to optimal sounds. I just upgraded my chain from Bifrost/jot2 to yggy/MJ3 and the Para sounds much better and getting closer to the quality of the HiFiman HeK stealth (1.4k USD headphones) in mids though it still lags behind in bass and clarity. Where the Para shines are the vocal focused songs. So smooth and clear.
For info.

24021506473923553818357443.png

24021608040423553818357628.png

24021608040423553818357627.png

24021608040323553818357625.png

24021608040323553818357626.png

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #269 of 384
I want to stick with the 58Xs, because I'm in love with them :smile: These cans impress me a lot, even more given their low price. Recently, I also bought the Shures 1540, due to their comfort and to perceive an approach of the Harman tuning (with an elevated mid-bass)... I'm waiting for them to arrive here... Let's see if I like them, being closed back I would use them in some ocassions...

Ans yes, I'm tempted by other headphones, but I want to fall short, because I would not have enough time to enjoy them all, and the most important thing is the music and to discover new albums and genres/sub-genres, although I also like to revisit some albums with new headphones, but I prefer the former aspect of this hobby :L3000:
Agree. Fantastic little product for the price (and beyond). Also takes EQ really well and is easy to drive.

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #270 of 384
Agree. Fantastic little product for the price (and beyond). Also takes EQ really well and is easy to drive.
Yes. Totally agree with you ; the Sennheiser HD-58X is an excellent headphone with exceptional value for money.

I prefer it when listening, for its tonal accuracy, for example to my Kennerton Thror headphones, more than 10 times more expensive than the Sennheiser HD-58X.

23040410251023553818152655.jpg

You can read on the same thread too:

Sennheiser HD-58X versus HD-400 Pro versus Kennerton Thror, here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...-reasonable-price.970569/page-3#post-17843647

23112910275323553818311375.jpg

Moondrop VENUS versus Kennerton Thror versus HD-58X, here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...-reasonable-price.970569/page-3#post-17847446
and : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...-reasonable-price.970569/page-3#post-17848422

23120109185223553818312253.jpg

23120104534623553818312019.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back