Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #241 of 399
Hi Terriero.

This can help you. :)

List of (known) headphones that my friend René K owns, which sound good, and which are sufficiently accurate in tone to not require equalization for listening.
AKG K371
AUDIOTECHNICA ATH-R70X
BEYERDYNAMIC DT1990 PRO
FOCAL CLEAR
FOCAL ELEGIA
FOSTEX TH-X00
HIFIMAN HE-500
MOONDROP VENUS
SENNHEISER HD58X
SENNHEISER HD600
SENNEHISER HD800S

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181308238.html#p181308238
The only pair of headphones I've tried from the list (I own the 58X, 580 -very similar to 600- and I'm loving both of them-, and the HD 800 which are untouchable in my collection) are the 1990 Pros, which at first I liked a lot, but with time, when listening to music, I felt overwhelmed by the cymbals presence and decided to sell them.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #242 of 399
I bought the official upgrade cable from Moondop, and I think the sound of this cable is stronger in low frequency and thicker than the original cable, but the resolution has not improved. Considering the price, it is acceptable
12265424.jpg

I had the same issue. The upgrade is mildly better than the stock for my PARA but I ended up getting the ZMF grand palladium cable. Definitely better. It fixed the sibilance problem at high frequency on the PARA. Problem is the cable cost more than the HP. Oh well.
DSC1136_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Hi all.

Which is preferable?

Upgrade PARA headphone (309 Euros) with a ZMF Grand Paladium balanced cable at 466 Euros?

Or upgrade the VENUS headphone (599 Euros) with a Moondrop UP series balanced cable at 90 Euros?

A question for @acclimatise: for your VENUS headphone, which of your two balanced cables best suits the VENUS and has your preference: the silver-plated V-LINE series balanced cable supplied in stock with the VENUS (silver-plated copper, Litz 392-core wire) or the latest balanced cable purchased as an upgrade, UP series (pure copper, Litz 1064-core wire)?

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #243 of 399
Hi all.

Which is preferable?

Upgrade PARA headphone (309 Euros) with a ZMF Grand Paladium balanced cable at 466 Euros?

Or upgrade the VENUS headphone (599 Euros) with a Moondrop UP series balanced cable at 90 Euros?

A question for @acclimatise: for your VENUS headphone, which of your two balanced cables best suits the VENUS and has your preference: the silver-plated V-LINE series balanced cable supplied in stock with the VENUS (silver-plated copper, Litz 392-core wire) or the latest balanced cable purchased as an upgrade, UP series (pure copper, Litz 1064-core wire)?
I think is preferred to visit the Sound Science sub-forum :wink: :beerchug:

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #244 of 399
There are definitely cheaper options out there. I almost max out my dac/amp so I can upgrade my stock cables. For others, upgrading their dacs and amps is a better option.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #245 of 399
I think is preferred to visit the Sound Science sub-forum :wink: :beerchug:

There are definitely cheaper options out there. I almost max out my dac/amp so I can upgrade my stock cables. For others, upgrading their dacs and amps is a better option.
Hello everyone.

I agree with both of you.

Even if my scientific mind does not really believe in the magical virtues of paladium, nor of rhodium, to transcend the sound of a cable, we must recognize that headphones do not sound the same from an amplifier to the 'other, and even from one cable to another.
This is just an empirical observation.
This is all the more easily heard as the headphone performs better.

Just one example: you all know Tyll Hertsens.
At one point, he even invited friends over to find out which of these 3 headphones they preferred (the Focal Utopia, the Audeze LCD-4 and the Sennheiser HD-800); by the way the Sennheiser HD-800 won the most votes at the time.
The big question for Tyll and his guests was to find the amplifier that sounded good with the HD-800, and that wasn't easy to find.

For my own experience, when I lstened my ex Audeze LCD-3F headphones, I have to admit that between the Audeze stock " spaghetti" cable (a very basic cable: see photo below in spoiler) and the Odin mk1's stock cable (cable which didn't cost very much, too), by swapping the cables (which both had mini-xlr connectors), the Audeze stock cable sounded clogged compared to the Odin stock cable, which to my ear, empirically speaking, sounded much better.

24012112105923553818341454.jpg

For the Moondrop PARA, I think that you can slightly improve its sound, with a slightly more transparent tone, just by using the optional 40-euro/dollars silver-plated symmetrical cable (V-LINE Series) supplied as standard with the VENUS, but not with the PARA.
In addition, this symmetrical silver upgrade cable is very pretty to look at and aesthetically suits both the PARA and the VENUS (same silver color). :)

24012112171423553818341455.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #246 of 399
I bought the Moondrop venus headphones but weren't impressed. I bought the mod house Vegan leather for them but sent the headphones back before the pads arrived. So let me know if anyone wants the pads, they sealed in the box they was delivered couple of days ago

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #247 of 399
I bought the Moondrop venus headphones but weren't impressed. I bought the mod house Vegan leather for them but sent the headphones back before the pads arrived. So let me know if anyone wants the pads, they sealed in the box they was delivered couple of days ago
Hello.

It's a shame the VENUS headphone didn't work out for you.

Out of curiosity, apart from the fact that the VENUS didn't impress you, what didn't you like about the sound of the VENUS and what did you expect from these 600 Euro planar headphones?

I find this short review of the VENUS fairly honest in describing the sound of the VENUS out of the box.

Do you share it?

https://www.mimic-audio.com/blogs/reviews/moondrop-venus-review

That said, there are a few "tricks" you can use to make the VENUS even more to your liking, if that's what you're looking for, and not too expensively.

More than just changing the earpads (you'll have to try it out), you can start:
- If you want higher bass levels (+ 3 dB between 30 and 70 Hz) and to make them punchier, slightly open the pads opening on the front, to break the pads seal by 2 to 3 mm on the front (as with the Abyss); it doesn't cost anything to try.
- If you want to give the sound more substance and slightly attenuate the treble (and consequently have a deeper, "thicker" sound), you can buy the VENUS Upgrade symmetrical cable (Moondrop cable séries UP at $80), specially designed by Moondrop to improve their VENUS (more euphonic, warmer, less clinical listening?).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...reasonable-price.970569/page-16#post-17918268

24012204224323553818342569.jpg

Moondrop VENUS with it's upgrade cable of series UP.

As far as I'm concerned, the main weak point of the VENUS is the structural fragility of the attachment point of its suspension headband (a small, rigid and fragile plastic tab, which can tear over time if bent); However, for a few DIY euros, by lining the inside of the strap with a small portion of nylon webbing (10 x 20 mm, glued to the inside) (operation described in spoiler images below), you can easily solve the problem as a preventive measure; this is what I've done with my VENUS, which has given me complete satisfaction :).

24012212280023553818342404.jpg

2cm wide nylon webbing (Note: 1cm wide would have been better)

24012212280123553818342407.jpg

2 cm wide nylon webbing cut into two 1 cm wide strips

24012212280123553818342408.jpg

2 pieces of reinforcement measuring 2 x 1 cm cut from the nylon webbing

24012212280023553818342403.jpg

Dismantling the headband attachment: 1.5 mm Allen hex key

24012212280123553818342405.jpg

Note: the semi-rigid and brittle plastic strip, which can tear at the bending fold, just to the left of the 2nd hole: the area of fragility (at the level of the bending fold) appears slightly gray on the black strip.

24012212280123553818342406.jpg

We can better see in this photo the area of fragility (at the level of the bending fold) appearing as a slightly grayish line on the black strip, just to the left of the second hole.
Otherwise, do not take into account the black adhesive tape surrounding the fixing tab of the headband: it is a personalized device to block the suspension headband to the size of my big head (via a cork wedge surrounded by this black adhesive).
For heads of more conventional size, the self-adapting headband (via an internal elastic) is perfect; this modification is not necessary.

24012212280223553818342409.jpg

The plastic fixing tab (fragile, rigid and brittle) was reinforced here by the piece cut from the nylon strap (2 x 1cm), here glued to the internal face of the tab, with super glue.
You will need to make a hole in this reinforcement piece, at the level of the second fixing hole for the plastic tab.
Otherwise, we can see better in this photo the cork block surrounded by black adhesive blocking the suspension strip at the size of my large head, but that does not concern you (unless you also have a very large head).

24012212280223553818342410.jpg

The plastic fixing tab in place (refixed) with on its internal side the reinforcement piece (in lining) of 2 x 1 cm cut from the nylon strap and glued with super glue.

24012212280223553818342411.jpg

The plastic fixing tab in place (refixed, seen from the fixing and folding side) with on its internal face the reinforcement piece (in lining) of 2 x 1 cm cut from the nylon strap and glued with super glue.

24012212280223553818342412.jpg

My Moondrop VENUS with its headband adapted to the size of my large head and above all reinforced (preventatively, for a few Euros) at the level of its fixation (potentially fragile).

24012212280323553818342413.jpg

My audio Hi-fi system : headphones (preference) : Moondrop VENUS > PARA = Sennheiser HD-58X > HD-400 Pro >= HD 560S > Kennerton Thror, with a Viva 2A3 amp and an high-end Audiomat DAC + drive (Maestro Reference + D1 Drive) + Panasonic DMP UB-9000 (for Blu-ray).
Waiting to receive the VENUS Upgrade cable (Moondrop cable Series UP).

EDIT: the Moondrop advert says that the VENUS is an immersive headphone that excels in all musical genres.

What about classical and baroque music?

For the English, I listened this afternoon to Purcell's KING ARTHUR (1985 AAD ERATO recording with John Eliot Gardiner).
Voices are remarkably well reproduced, both male and female, without any harshness, with superb timbres, beautiful; violins are reproduced with just the right acidity; bass levels (earpads of the VENUS slightly unsealed on their front, of the half the thickness of my pinky finger) are well balanced in level. Percussion noises, when they occur (stick strikes on the floor, for example), are reproduced with the necessary dynamism and percussion.

For the Germans and French, I also listened to piano music this afternoon, with Schumann Fantaisie OP 17 and Davidsbündlertänze OP 6 with the late pianist Catherine Collard (AAD ERATO 1973 recording).
The piano is one of the most difficult musical instruments to reproduce with headphones, over its very wide frequency range, in terms of tonal balance in the 3 registers (low - medium - high), nuance and dynamics.
The VENUS fulfills all these conditions: the bass of the piano is superb, with depth, detail and texture, balanced in relation to the other two registers; the midrange is rich and expressive; the highs are, for my ears, at the right level, well present, but balanced (not prominent); the harmonics and note extension are convincing.
The ambient noises of the recording are also well present (NB: for example, a truck can be heard passing in the street next to the recording location, and the bell of a nearby church can also be heard ringing).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #248 of 399
Figured I might as well take a break from buying Hifiman headphones. lol.
Untitled.png

Is the cable pinout like the Sundara series, or the HE-R9/R10?

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #249 of 399
Figured I might as well take a break from buying Hifiman headphones. lol.
Untitled.png

Is the cable pinout like the Sundara series, or the HE-R9/R10?

Yes : Stock cable of the Moondrop PARA : Jack 3.5 mm (side amp) --> 2 x 3.5 mm (side headphone) (length 1.5 m)

cable-2.jpg

Stock cable of the PARA also delivered with a 3.5/6.35 mm jack adapter.

NB: you can buy (optional) from Moondrop the symmetrical cable (also supplied with the VENUS), pure silver-plated copper wires, from the V-LINE series, which adds even more transparency to the sound of the PARA headphones; I tried it.

cable-1.jpg

Stock cables of the VENUS.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #250 of 399
Not quite what I was asking; I have plenty of cables with 3.5mm connectors, but they aren't all pinned the same way, and I've heard you can damage your amp if the pinout isn't correct. I suspect the Sundara/HE5XX/Arya have a more standard pinout, since the HE-R9 and R10 have to account for single-entry pass-through.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #251 of 399
Not quite what I was asking; I have plenty of cables with 3.5mm connectors, but they aren't all pinned the same way, and I've heard you can damage your amp if the pinout isn't correct. I suspect the Sundara/HE5XX/Arya have a more standard pinout, since the HE-R9 and R10 have to account for single-entry pass-through.
What pinout do they have? The dual pin is using the tip and sleeve for each channel in mono, even if the connector is stereo. You can use a single pin mono connector on Venus/Para if that's what you mean.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #252 of 399
Hello everyone.

Below you will find the link to a good review of the Planar Moondrop PARA headphone made in January 2024, which I find very honest regarding the description of this headphone, including the sound.

Link to this review: https://primeaudio.org/moondrop-para-review/

(Note: The sound resolution and transparency of PARA will be slightly improved by using the (optional) balanced silver cable of VENUS (V-Line series)).

Otherwise, I listened last night, my PARA headphones with the VENUS headphones, for comparisons, on different music, and you will have a laugh, to end my evening, with the memorable moovie Grease (and John Travolta) which reminds me of my youth (NB: I don't just listen to classical music :beyersmile: ).

24012509530423553818344135.jpg

The VENUS stands out from the PARA in these points (nb: VENUS pads deliberately unsealed loose on their front by around 2 mm):
- More authoritative bass, in level and percussion (it's evident)
- More immersive, more three-dimensional, wider and more spacious sound scene around the head.
- Richer and warmer midrange and less emphasized high-midrange than PARA.
- Cymbals a little more present than the PARA (NB: the PARA is probably more accurate in tone for the cymbals).

The sound is more involving with the VENUS, and overall more pleasant, by its better soundstage (more immersive and three-dimensional), by its richer and warmer midrange, less emphasized ; and by its more present and impactful bass ; and for its more incisive treble giving more details and contours to the sound.

The PARA sound is exactly as described by the review cited in the link above : more mid-centric sound, with a slightly light bass (lacking slightly weight and impact), with a high midrange (around 3 KHz) highlighted, very present (giving great clarity to the voice, to the detriment of a certain thickness) and well-balanced treble (but not incisive, perhaps giving a less impression of detail than other headphones with more highlighted treble), and to finish a fairly wide soundstage, but shallow and not very three-dimensional.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #253 of 399
20240125_163506.jpg

Got here early. I figured they would use the same cable as the Sundara, and I was right. My balanced cable works just fine.

First impressions: they look stunning. Love, love, love industrial design on headphones, and these are some of the best use of it I've seen. They match my Schiit stack and WA2 almost perfectly. Build quality seems exceptional, with a nice solid feel to all the materials. I even like the little plastic cable housing.

Even running them balanced, they're harder to drive than they seem. I figured at 8ohm and 101db sensitivity they'd be a breeze, but they're really not, at least in terms of gain. I'm putting the volume at about the same level as the HE-500. I'll have to see what the actual power draw requirements are like, probably by running them out of the WA2 and my portable amp. They'll probably be a mess from the WA2, like the Sundara Closed is.

Sound-wise, it's still early, but so far they are incredible. Really blew away my expectations. I was thinking of comparing them to the Sundara, but I think they're swinging for Arya/HE-500 territory. Hard to say, I could just be mesmerized by their mid-y sound. I've let most of my mid-centric headphones go over the past couple years, and have been wanting to own something a little more advanced than the AKG K612, and this is definitely filling that need.

Bass is low reaching, with energy in all the right places, detail is excellent, and soundstage is very large. These are really ticking all the boxes for me; I'm excited to give them more time!

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #254 of 399

Got here early. I figured they would use the same cable as the Sundara, and I was right. My balanced cable works just fine.

First impressions: they look stunning. Love, love, love industrial design on headphones, and these are some of the best use of it I've seen. They match my Schiit stack and WA2 almost perfectly. Build quality seems exceptional, with a nice solid feel to all the materials. I even like the little plastic cable housing.

Even running them balanced, they're harder to drive than they seem. I figured at 8ohm and 101db sensitivity they'd be a breeze, but they're really not, at least in terms of gain. I'm putting the volume at about the same level as the HE-500. I'll have to see what the actual power draw requirements are like, probably by running them out of the WA2 and my portable amp. They'll probably be a mess from the WA2, like the Sundara Closed is.

Sound-wise, it's still early, but so far they are incredible. Really blew away my expectations. I was thinking of comparing them to the Sundara, but I think they're swinging for Arya/HE-500 territory. Hard to say, I could just be mesmerized by their mid-y sound. I've let most of my mid-centric headphones go over the past couple years, and have been wanting to own something a little more advanced than the AKG K612, and this is definitely filling that need.

Bass is low reaching, with energy in all the right places, detail is excellent, and soundstage is very large. These are really ticking all the boxes for me; I'm excited to give them more time!

Hi.

I am happy for you that the PARA meets your expectations: excellent headphones in the "mid-centric" category, robust, pleasant to look at and listen to, and efficient.
Using a quality balanced cable can only improve the sound (more transparent and detailed) than with the stock cable and the performance of the headphones (also with more power).

I agree with you that the PARA is a demanding headphone in terms of amplification and amplifier gain.
The PARA has the same sensitivity (in dB / Vrms) as the VENUS, and even higher current requirements than the VENUS.

Well, about the VENUS, I described in my last post (above) the differences perceived with the PARA (with its stock asymmetrical cable) on a very good amplification (Viva 2A3) magnifying these two headphones, in particular for the medium and the soundstage (and clearly showing the differences between these two headphones).

I strongly recommend that you listen to the VENUS one day (with a quality balanced cable), and perhaps you will obtain the same listening sensations as mine, and the same (obvious) listening differences between the PARA and the VENUS that I noticed during my various comparative listenings.

If the PARA is to be classified among the excellent headphones in the "mid-centric" category, with a listening quality (and construction) closer to a Hifiman Arya / HE-500 than a Sundara, well, for my assessment, the VENUS is more to be placed in the "full-range" category for the FR (with more extended bass, more present in SPL level, more dynamic and percussive than PARA, with more detailed and incisive treble, a high-mid less emphasis, better integrated; and an even more spacious, more volumetric (less 2D), more immersive sound scene than the PARA.
The VENUS is clearly in the category of the Hifiman Arya, and even more, with even better tonality, not to mention its aesthetics (superb) and its construction quality which I find great (apart from the fragile attachment of its suspension headband, which I recommend reinforcing as a preventive measure).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #255 of 399
Hello everyone.

@Kukuk just received his Moondrop PARA headphone.

Well, I just received this morning (in France) my VENUS upgrade balanced cable (UP series) with its XLR--> 6..35 mm Jack adapter, for my 2A3 tube amp.

The packaging of these cables is worthy of luxury Japanese production: impeccable: bravo to the little, very attentive Chinese hands.

The UP cable (and adapter) are superb; impeccable finish.

24012612415423553818344351.jpg

24012612415523553818344352.jpg

24012612415523553818344353.jpg

All that remains is to listen to the VENUS with it's upgrade cable (this afternoon) :).
(Note: My son's PARA inherits the silver V-LINE cable from the VENUS, for even more transparency for this headphone revealing a very beautiful, precise and clear midrange).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back