Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Jan 14, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #226 of 403
I bought the official upgrade cable from Moondop, and I think the sound of this cable is stronger in low frequency and thicker than the original cable, but the resolution has not improved. Considering the price, it is acceptable
I had the same issue. The upgrade is mildly better than the stock for my PARA but I ended up getting the ZMF grand palladium cable. Definitely better. It fixed the sibilance problem at high frequency on the PARA. Problem is the cable cost more than the HP. Oh well.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #227 of 403
Hi all.

I invite you to watch this very informative video recounting the birth of the Moondrop MOONZERO electrostatic headphones, and the headphones directly from the MOONZERO, but in planar technology, the Moondrop VENUS.

You will thus know everything about the birth (and conception) of the VENUS, not from an Adam's rib, but from the diaphragm of the Moondrop MOONZERO (1.35 um thick for 100 mm in diameter) and which also shares the same acoustic coupling structure as the MOONZERO.

For those who do not have the courage to watch this very informative video in full, I have reproduced (as a spoiler below) certain passages subtitled in English from this video concerning the birth (the design) of Moondrop electrostatic headphones ( high-end) MOONZERO and planar (high-end) VENUS, directly from the MOONZERO.

Birth (and design) of the Moondrop MOONZERO high-end electrostatic headphones and the Moondrop VENUS high-end planar headphones ; birth and design directly from the MOONZERO.

" For electrostatic headphones diaphragm is most crucial component.
We have repeatedly verified the decision of selecting the diaphragm materials and thickness to verify the affect of different thikness diaphragm materials on the performance of electrostatics headphones.
The diaphragm of electrostatic headphones require a specified surface resistance to keep a stable electric charge..
The implementation of diaphragm conduction is the key to take the repeated experiments.
We have purchased costly magnetic control monitoring equipment used in scientific research and also tried many coating materials and coating methods with different characteristics.
Electrostatic headphones require uniform tension of the whole diaphragm.
The tension determines the resonance characteristics of the system, therefore, we have spent considerable energy to develop and verify the key patented equipment suitable for stretching diaphragm developed by computer.
Electrostatic headphones have extremly high requirements for the assembly environment ; the reliability of electrostatic headphones will be seriously affected by any tiny dust.
Therefore, the production and assembly of electrostatic headphones need to be carried out in a high-grade dust free workshop.
The diaphragm of the electrostatic headphone has very uniform stress.
So it also very sensitive to the surrounding acoustic structure.
The drawings of the transducer structure and parts as well as the materials of this electrostatic headphone have been modified count lessly and even set back.
That's really a big attack.
It has a large circular diaphragm unit of 100 mm. And the diaphragm is only 1.35 um. That's 0.00135 mm.
Such a large thin circular diaphragm is able to respond quickly to every detail ; you want to hear under conditions of uniform stress.
In order to ensure that this delicate diaphragm won't break during the stressing process we designed and developed an automatic and adaptative diaphragm stretching device with patented technology based on digital computer control.
Thus the key technical problem of diaphragm stretching can be solved to ensure the consistency of resonance frequency.
As the stretched diaphragm exerts a very large tension the diaphragm frame requires sufficient rigidity to resist the slight deformation caused by this tension which ensures that the installed diaphragm maintains uniform and stable surface tension.
A specially treated steel was selected to produce the support frame of the diaphragm.
After repeated experiments and verifications this special steel is able to handle more than 2 Kg diaphragm tension at a thikness of only 0.5 um.

VENUS follows the same acoustic coupling structure as MOONZERO (high-end electostatic headphone by Moondrop).
Both also have the same diaphragm size specifications (ie : diameter 100 mm ; thikness 1.35 um) in pusuit of ultimate acoustic performance.

Of course, the diaphragms of planar headphones cannot maintain the same uniform tension as those of electrostatic headphones..
Therefore in order to minimisize the split vibration and non linear distortion caused by the non-uniform stress of the diaphragm under processing we integrated the unstressed part of the diaphragm into the fixed area of the diaphragm to ensure that the vibration area can be uniformly stressed in order to present a more smooth and delicate mid-high frequency with more accurate timbre.
By the way, the printend circuit of our diaphragm is made of pure silver ! (> 99.9 Ag ; thikness printed pure silver circuit 1 um).
In recent years, we are made great strides in the design of transducer magnetic circuits and hace accumulated much valuable experience..
The magnetic circuit of Venus is optimized according to FEA finite element simulation.
We repeatedly simulated size and distance of the magnet and obtained a good balance in terms of foinal efficiency and standing wave resistance.
We created a planar headphone with an integrated driver and housing structure by using costly aviation-grad aluminum alloy and a CNC milling process.
The integrated transducer and housing structure greatly improves the control of product consistency in the manufacturing process and the durability and reliability of finished products.
As the same time, we specially designed the high-frequency waveguide structure intergrated into the aluminium alloy shell.
In this way, magnetic linearity and efficiency are not affected.
The phase problem caused by high frequency diffraction is solved ensuring smooth response at high frequencies.
In fact, there will be told many technical design when every manufacture releases headphones as we mentioned just now.
Unique technical designs mean little if they don't translate into real-life performance.
So take a look at the data display here.
Our measurement environement continues to be the free field laboratory of our MOONDROP Research and Deverlopement Center.
I've already introduced the data of high-end electrostatics, so now i'll show you the frequency response and distortion of our planar headphones.
Venus is the equal of current high-end headphones whether in linear distortion or nonlinear distortion, it can even match the flagship electrostatics."

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #228 of 403
Hi all.

I invite you to watch this very informative video recounting the birth of the Moondrop MOONZERO electrostatic headphones, and the headphones directly from the MOONZERO, but in planar technology, the Moondrop VENUS.

You will thus know everything about the birth (and conception) of the VENUS, not from an Adam's rib, but from the diaphragm of the Moondrop MOONZERO (1.35 um thick for 100 mm in diameter) and which also shares the same acoustic coupling structure as the MOONZERO.

For those who do not have the courage to watch this very informative video in full, I have reproduced (as a spoiler below) certain passages subtitled in English from this video concerning the birth (the design) of Moondrop electrostatic headphones ( high-end) MOONZERO and planar (high-end) VENUS, directly from the MOONZERO.

Birth (and design) of the Moondrop MOONZERO high-end electrostatic headphones and the Moondrop VENUS high-end planar headphones, birth and design directly from the MOONZERO.

" For electrostatic headphones diaphragm is most crucial component.
We have repeatedly verified the decision of selecting the diaphragm materials and thickness to verify the affect of different thikness diaphragm materials on the performance of electrostatics headphones.
The diaphragm of electrostatic headphones require a specified surface resistance to keep a stable electric charge..
The implementation of diaphragm conduction is the key to take the repeated experiments.
We have purchased costly magnetic control monitoring equipment used in scientific research and also tried many coating materials and coating methods with different characteristics.
Electrostatic headphones require uniform tension of the whole diaphragm.
The tension determines the resonance characteristics of the system, therefore, we have spent considerable energy to develop and verify the key patented equipment suitable for stretching diaphragm developed by computer.
Electrostatic headphones have extremly high requirements for the assembly environment ; the reliability of electrostatic headphones will be seriously affected by any tiny dust.
Therefore, the production and assembly of electrostatic headphones need to be carried out in a high-grade dust free workshop.
The diaphragm of the electrostatic headphone has very uniform stress.
So it also very sensitive to the surrounding acoustic structure.
The drawings of the transducer structure and parts as well as the materials of this electrostatic headphone have been modified count lessly and even set back.
That's really a big attack.
It has a large circular diaphragm unit of 100 mm. And the diaphragm is only 1.35 um. That's 0.00135 mm.
Such a large thin circular diaphragm is able to respond quickly to every detail ; you want to hear under conditions of uniform stress.
In order to ensure that this delicate diaphragm won't break during the stressing process we designed and developed an automatic and adaptative diaphragm stretching device with patented technology based on digital computer control.
Thus the key technical problem of diaphragm stretching can be solved to ensure the consistency of resonance frequency.
As the stretched diaphragm exerts a very large tension the diaphragm frame requires sufficient rigidity to resist the slight deformation caused by this tension which ensures that the installed diaphragm maintains uniform and stable surface tension.
A specially treated steel was selected to produce the support frame of the diaphragm.
After repeated experiments and verifications this special steel is able to handle more than 2 Kg diaphragm tension at a thikness of only 0.5 um.

VENUS follows the same acoustic coupling structure as MOONZERO (high-end electostatic headphone by Moondrop).
Both also have the same dipahragm size specifications (ie : diameter 100 mm ; thikness 1.35 um) in pusuit of ultimate acoustic performance.

Of course, the diaphragms of planar headphones cannot maintain the same uniform tension as those of electrostatic headphones..
Therefore in order to minimisize the split vibration and non linear distortion caused by the non-uniform stress of the diaphragm under processing we integrated the unstressed part of the diaphragm into the fixed area of the diaphragm to ensure that the vibration area can be uniformly stressed in order to present a more smooth and delicate mid-high frequency with more accurate timbre.
By the way, the printend circuit of our diaphragm is made of pure silver ! (> 99.9 Ag ; thikness printed pure silver circuit 1 um).
In recent years, we are made great strides in the design of transducer magnetic circuits and hace accumulated much valuable experience..
The magnetic circuit of Venus is optimized according to FEA finite element simulation.
We repeatedly simulated size and distance of the magnet and obtained a good balance in terms of foinal efficiency and standing wave resistance.
We created a planar headphone with an integrated driver and housing structure by using costly aviation-grad aluminum alloy and a CNC milling process.
The integrated transducer and housing structure greatly improves the control of product consistency in the manufacturing process and the durability and reliability of finished products.
As the same time, we specially designed the high-frequency waveguide structure intergrated into the aluminium alloy shell.
In this way, magnetic linearity and efficiency are not affected.
The phase problem caused by high frequency diffraction is solved ensuring smooth response at high frequencies.
In fact, there will be told many technical design when every manufacture releases headphones as we mentioned just now.
Unique technical designs mean little if they don't translate into real-life performance.
So take a look at the data display here.
Our measurement environement continues to be the free field laboratory of our MOONDROP Research and Deverlopement Center.
I've already introduced the data of high-end electrostatics, so now i'll show you the frequency response and distortion of our planar headphones.
Venus is the equal of current high-end headphones whether in linear distortion or nonlinear distortion, it can even match the flagship electrostatics."

Man you work hard. I see you post on this thread like every day. So how much are they paying you for your services?

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #229 of 403
Man you work hard. I see you post on this thread like every day. So how much are they paying you for your services?
Zero Euros ! :beyersmile:

That said, I discovered this video very late on the Moondrop MOONZERO (electostatic) and VENUS (planar) headphones.

This video is very informative and reassures me about the seriousness and the fairly considerable means implemented to achieve the birth (and conception) of the VENUS (directly resulting from that of the MOONZERO).

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #230 of 403
Zero Euros ! :beyersmile:

That said, I discovered this video very late on the Moondrop MOONZERO (electostatic) and VENUS (planar) headphones.

This video is very informative and reassures me about the seriousness and the fairly considerable means implemented to achieve the birth (and conception) of the VENUS (directly resulting from that of the MOONZERO).
That review is almost 2 years old. You are a true fanboy. They need to send you the MoonZero so you can review it. FYI the MoonZero is still not out, yet.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #234 of 403
Forget about zero, it's online press conference video ; has been officially taken down.

This will leave the Moondrop VENUS high-end planar headphones (directly resulting from the development of the MoonZero), which will have benefited from all the research and equipment necessary for the development of the MonZero. :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #235 of 403
Kennerton was the first brand who paid to Eric, then Sennheiser and now Moondrop... He is like Scroog McDuck, swimming in a pool of € :angel:

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #236 of 403
Kennerton was the first brand who paid to Eric, then Sennheiser and now Moondrop... He is like Scroog McDuck, swimming in a pool of € :angel:

Hush, don't tell Terriero, but Scrooge McDuck (Picsou in France) is the idol of my youth.

24011807202723553818339306.jpg

I'm not as rich as Elon Musk, though. :beyersmile:

I have to make do with buying planar headphones for less than 1000 Euros/dollars; which, for Scrooge McDuck, who is a notorious miser, would be heresy.

A penny is a penny, especially his fetish penny, the source of his fortune.

I've also become stingy; why buy a headphones with one zero too many for its price when you can have the same one with one zero less.

That hig-end headphone, with a zero less for the price, is not the MoonZero, but the Moondrop VENUS (a planar headphone).

That said, Sennheiser headphones (HD-560S, HD-58X) are also headphones with one zero less for its price than some others, no better (and/or just tonally), this time in electrodynamic technology. :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #237 of 403
I bought the official upgrade cable from Moondop, and I think the sound of this cable is stronger in low frequency and thicker than the original cable, but the resolution has not improved. Considering the price, it is acceptable.
12265424.jpg
Hi.

I have just ordered a Moondrop UP series cable, to upgrade the cable of my VENUS (V-LINE series).

https://moondroplab.com/en/products/up

41kxuo1pZML.jpg

61mzUcudGML._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.fr/Moondrop-UP-Upgrade-broches-adaptateur/dp/B0BWDYB1JY?th=1

I couldn't find the part number of your cable (apparently not available in Europe); I ordered this Moondrop cable (UP series) with its optional adapter (XLR 4-pin / Jack 6.35 mm + 30 cm extension cable).

643f7d60fca627226f504b39_DM_20230419133234_035.JPEG

643f7d602ef62c7fdef6bdfb_DM_20230419133234_042.JPEG

I'll be able to compare it with the VENUS stock cable (the silver cable from the V-LINE series).

https://moondroplab.com/en/products/line-v-w

6440dd9a94b643772228c5f8_VW_02.jpg

If my preference is for the new Moondrop UP cable for the VENUS, then I'll give my current V-LINE VENUS cable (and its 4.4 mm symmetrical/jack 3.5 mm/jack 6.35 mm asymmetrical adapter) to my eldest son to upgrade the black stock cable on his Moondrop PARA headphone.

20220829_190246.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #238 of 403
Hi all.

I've just tried the VENUS silver-plated stock cable (V-LINE series) on my son's PARA headphones; there's a noticeable difference in sound with the PARA's stock (black) cable: the sound is more transparent (less veiled), and slightly better defined than with the stock cable.

I then compared my son's PARA headphone with the other planar headphone I'd given him, the Kennerton THROR (costing 10 times more than the PARA, by the way); I listened on my son's system (who mainly listens to YouTube videos on his PC with a small 200-Euros headphone amp, the Matrix M Stage) to Nirvana, music we both like despite the generation difference .

24011806502323553818340004.jpg

24011806502423553818340006.jpg

24011806502323553818340005.jpg

Well, for my ear, the PARA (with its new cable) does much better than the THROR: more natural voice (less distorted) and present; also (clearly) more treble (which is quite sorely lacking in the THROR, cut short in the high harmonics), more bass too; its less "flat", more dynamic with more of a desire for foot-taping with the PARA than with the THROR; In short, the THROR is not made for Nirvana and will return to its shelf :wink: (which will protect it from dust, unlike my son's desk :beyersmile:).

In short, compared with Kennerton's THROR, the Moondrop PARA is a very good headphone (and even better with the VENUS's silver V-LINE cable); in fact, it works well with all kinds of music ; it's a good general-purpose planar headphone that will require minimal amplification.
(Nb: the Matrix M Stage amp outputs 400 mW on 60 Ohm; amp gain is set to +18 dB ; amp potentiometer set to 12 o'clock, volume level on the PC is at 30%, allowing you to listen to the Nirvana video at a sufficiently high SPL level).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #239 of 403
Hush, don't tell Terriero, but Scrooge McDuck (Picsou in France) is the idol of my youth.

24011807202723553818339306.jpg

I'm not as rich as Elon Musk, though. :beyersmile:

I have to make do with buying planar headphones for less than 1000 Euros/dollars; which, for Scrooge McDuck, who is a notorious miser, would be heresy.

A penny is a penny, especially his fetish penny, the source of his fortune.

I've also become stingy; why buy a headphones with one zero too many for its price when you can have the same one with one zero less.

That hig-end headphone, with a zero less for the price, is not the MoonZero, but the Moondrop VENUS (a planar headphone).

That said, Sennheiser headphones (HD-560S, HD-58X) are also headphones with one zero less for its price than some others, no better (and/or just tonally), this time in electrodynamic technology. :)
"Tío Gilito" in Spain :wink: About Sennheiser, I'm ultra satisfied with my recent purchases (580 and 58X) but I'm still tempted by the "Para" and the new "Aune" headphones :thinking:

But... firstly, I want to try the Harman tuning with the AKG K 371 :L3000: Also, the new DCA E3 tempt me... :rolling_eyes: But they are very expensive and I have to be sure about them, so first I have to try one similar signature...

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #240 of 403
"Tío Gilito" in Spain :wink: About Sennheiser, I'm ultra satisfied with my recent purchases (580 and 58X) but I'm still tempted by the "Para" and the new "Aune" headphones :thinking:

But... firstly, I want to try the Harman tuning with the AKG K 371 :L3000: Also, the new DCA E3 tempt me... :rolling_eyes: But they are very expensive and I have to be sure about them, so first I have to try one similar signature...
Hi Terriero.

This can help you. :)

List of (known) headphones that my friend René K owns, which sound good, and which are sufficiently accurate in tone to not require equalization for listening.
AKG K371
AUDIOTECHNICA ATH-R70X
BEYERDYNAMIC DT1990 PRO
FOCAL CLEAR
FOCAL ELEGIA
FOSTEX TH-X00
HIFIMAN HE-500
MOONDROP VENUS
SENNHEISER HD58X
SENNHEISER HD600
SENNEHISER HD800S

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181308238.html#p181308238

EDIT: For my part, we can add to this list, the MOONDROP PARA, which sounds a little like an HD-600, but a little better: a little more bass and treble than the HD-600, a little more details, too.
Especially if you use the silver cable from the VENUS, V-LINE series cable, with the PARA, as I just did with my son's PARA this afternoon. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...reasonable-price.970569/page-16#post-17925956

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back