Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #196 of 391
Hello everyone.

I've just discovered that the VENUS is the king (queen) of small bells, a real fairy magician!

images

I'm still completely amazed by the beauty of the small bells in the Avatar soundtrack, where the VENUS excels.

My friend René K thought I was joking when I said I was completely captivated and amazed by the rendering of the small bells (of all beauty) in the soundtrack of the film Avatar where the VENUS excels, and that I concluded that the VENUS was the king (queen) of small bells, a real fairy magician!

Like Walt Disney's famous Tinker Bell, by the way. :beyersmile:

images

He retorted; quote: "There's nothing incredible about reproducing small bells with headphones,but hey, we're entitled to marvel at nothing!"

I replied him: ""It is still necessary that the headphones "correctly" reproduce the small bells, both at the correct SPL level (and not attenuate them drastically, as, for example, with my Kennerton Thror headphone) and also for the quality of the tone of the said small bells ; in fact the metallic and crystalline timbre of a small bell (reproduced at the right SPL level) is not so easy to reproduce with headphones or speakers (NB: my little desktop speakers: Harman/Kardon Nova speakers, which reproduce high frequencies well (without attenuation), don't reproduce the sound of small bells with the same beauty, tonal richness, refinement and precision as Moondrop VENUS headphones, far from it).
Last but not least, the VENUS also reproduces sub-bass layers and a multitude of very fine, subtle and tonally accurate little sounds that complement the said small bells.
To be more exact, I'm amazed and subjugated by the rendering of the small bells and all that accompanies them in this soundtrack to the AVATAR movie."

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #197 of 391
My friend René K thought I was joking when I said I was completely captivated and amazed by the rendering of the small bells (of all beauty) in the soundtrack of the film Avatar where the VENUS excels, and that I concluded that the VENUS was the king (queen) of small bells, a real fairy magician!

Like Walt Disney's famous Tinker Bell, by the way. :beyersmile:

images

He retorted; quote: "There's nothing incredible about reproducing small bellswith headphones,but hey, we're entitled to marvel at nothing!"

I replied him: ""It is still necessary that the headphones "correctly" reproduce the small bells, both at the correct SPL level (and not attenuate them drastically, as, for example, with my Kennerton Thror headphone) and also for the quality of the tone of the said small bells ; in fact the metallic and crystalline timbre of a small bell (reproduced at the right SPL level) is not so easy to reproduce with headphones or speakers (NB: my little desktop speakers: Harman/Kardon Nova speakers, which reproduce high frequencies well (without attenuation), don't reproduce the sound of small bells with the same beauty, tonal richness, refinement and precision as Moondrop VENUS headphones, far from it).
Last but not least, the VENUS also reproduces sub-bass layers and a multitude of very fine, subtle and tonally accurate little sounds that complement the said small bells.
To be more exact, I'm amazed and subjugated by the rendering of the small bells and all that accompanies them in this soundtrack to the AVATAR movie."
....proceeds to a/b all headphones in possession to small bells....😅

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #198 of 391
....proceeds to a/b all headphones in possession to small bells....😅

OK. To begin with, from what I have heard recently: Moondrop VENUS > Moondrop PARA > Kennerton Thror for listening small bells !

The VENUS is the King (queen) od small bells, a real fairy magician! as I've already said ! :smile:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #199 of 391
Eric, I have received the 58Xs this afternoon :L3000: One of the first songs I listened with them was "Birth of Venus Illegitima" by Therion and I remembered your thread... I see you are now comparing your headphones with bells :sweat_smile:

I'm loving the 58Xs bass :right_facing_fist: Thanks a lot for your advices about them :relaxed:

I'm browsing my metal playlist and I'll see what happens when the 58Xs meet Floor, but in my case with her first works with "After Forever" :relaxed: Now I'm listening to some melodic death metal: "Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Chaotic beauty" with very good results :L3000:

BTW, yesterday I listened (via youtube) to this Floor live concert from 2021, I liked a lot. I suppose you know it, but if not the case:

* She even tried to sing in spanish but... :rolling_eyes:... better in english :wink:

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #200 of 391
Hi everyone, wanted to share some pad rolling developments.

I found a great comfortable and perfect fitting pad for the Venus.

It's called Voarmaks Sheepskin Premium Ear Pads Foam Cushion Compatible with Hifiman SUNDARA

https://www.amazon.com/Voarmaks-Ear-Pads-Mounting-Ring/dp/B0BWDKL8TX

They are lambskin leather all around and smell like it. More plushy and softer than the regular Venus pad. The back is stretchy faux leather that fits the Venus without issue. There are perforations inside the cups. The inner diameter is smaller by about 3mm from the original but they are thicker and far more comfortable for me than the Venus pad.

The stage opened slightly and instrument separation is better. The image isn't so left/right anymore but more middle focused. Bass punch is more present. Mids stayed the same sweetness, maybe even better...just a touch less in your face but still very present.

General tone seems to have stayed balanced to original. They are not angled and there is slight air pressure when putting them on.

Just need to pop the plastic rings out and they fit the Venus perfectly. You can even spin them around while they're on.

PXL_20240109_034027008.jpgPXL_20240109_034102633.jpgOG PADPXL_20240109_035403366.jpgVoarmaks sheepskin few mm smaller innerPXL_20240109_035428358.jpg

I tried the angled Dekoni Fenestrated for older HFM but as you can see far too smallPXL_20240109_034803022.jpg

I also ordered the Modhouse Xenon sheepskin without perforations and will write a review when here.

These are my new Venus pad right now :) ❤️

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #203 of 391
concert live de Floor de 2021
Eric, I have received the 58Xs this afternoon :L3000: One of the first songs I listened with them was "Birth of Venus Illegitima" by Therion and I remembered your thread... I see you are now comparing your headphones with bells :sweat_smile:

I'm loving the 58Xs bass :right_facing_fist: Thanks a lot for your advices about them :relaxed:

I'm browsing my metal playlist and I'll see what happens when the 58Xs meet Floor, but in my case with her first works with "After Forever" :relaxed: Now I'm listening to some melodic death metal: "Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Chaotic beauty" with very good results :L3000:

BTW, yesterday I listened (via youtube) to this Floor live concert from 2021, I liked a lot. I suppose you know it, but if not the case:

* She even tried to sing in spanish but... :rolling_eyes:... better in english :wink:

Thanks Terriero for the link to Floor Jansen's Live 2021 concert. :)

Too bad she doesn't sing in French too! :beyersmile:

About the Sennheiser HD-58X, it's my second-best headphone ever (after the Moondrop VENUS); not wanting to clutter up my home with headphones, I gave it (my HD-58X) to my older brother this Christmas.

I'm happy for you that you like the HD-58X: the bass is very good, as is the well-balanced midrange.

I now own just 3 sets of headphones (in my own name): the Moondrop VENUS for Hifi use; the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro and HD-560S for Home Cinema use (listening for two) and the same HD-400 Pro for listening on my PC with my Harman/Kardon NOVA desktop speakers too.

The Kennerton Thror is on its shelf, and the Moondrop PARA on my eldest son's desk in his bedroom at home.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #205 of 391
Unfortunately, the headphones are quite heavy. How much does its weight impact on the listening pleasure? Is there any discomfort after an hour?
Hi.

The VENUS headphone weighs exactly 560 g (without cable).

Personally the weight of this headphone does not bother me; my head is resting on the top of the back of my couch while listening.

The weight distribution is quite good on my head: no hot spots; the original pads are large and quite soft to wear; no uncomfortable pressure points (clamping is just right).

Continuous listening times of more than 1 hour 30 minutes with the VENUS do not pose a problem for me.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #206 of 391
I agree with your assessment on the sounds on the PARA. The “relaxed” sounds in your review is exactly why I like PARA over Venus. It’s even better that the PARA sounds amazing compared to all the other sub 1k planar headphones and it costs way less than half.

Now if you want the PARA to compete with more expensive cans then you need good EQ equipment via a streamer or analog type like the Lokius. I personally like the R&B EQ setting on my WiiM Pro. Since the PARA has no extra tuning unlike other expensive cans, the sound has a better and more clear response to the EQ without any distortions.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #207 of 391
Thanks Terriero for the link to Floor Jansen's Live 2021 concert. :)

Too bad she doesn't sing in French too! :beyersmile:

About the Sennheiser HD-58X, it's my second-best headphone ever (after the Moondrop VENUS); not wanting to clutter up my home with headphones, I gave it (my HD-58X) to my older brother this Christmas.

I'm happy for you that you like the HD-58X: the bass is very good, as is the well-balanced midrange.

I now own just 3 sets of headphones (in my own name): the Moondrop VENUS for Hifi use; the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro and HD-560S for Home Cinema use (listening for two) and the same HD-400 Pro for listening on my PC with my Harman/Kardon NOVA desktop speakers too.

The Kennerton Thror is on its shelf, and the Moondrop PARA on my eldest son's desk in his bedroom at home.
Right now, the 58Xs are meeting Floor :L3000: with her first studio album (I think :thinking:): "After Forever - Prison of Desire"... I'm loving the sound :smile:

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #208 of 391
My loaner unit Venus arrived yesterday and the left driver is winkled. The right driver looks fine. The wrinkled driver has better bass output. I tried swapping the L/R channel and result is consistent: every time I hear more bass from the wrinkled driver.

1704876350820.jpeg

1704876390909.jpeg

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #209 of 391
Wrinkled driver aside, the Venus sounds pretty good on my system. I demoed it when it first came out and was unimpressed. This time I was able to test it more thoroughly on my own system. The overall sound is cohesive and inoffensive. Good detail retrieval, okay soundstage, great tonality---instruments sound like what they actually are. Some people commented their treble being too bright but I don't find that to be the case. It's a good all-arounder. At this price point I prefer the Edition XS and thus won't be buying this one myself, but if you have the money, this is a decent investment.

Oh and also, the bass on the winkled driver slams pretty hard. Looser diaphragm = more travel = better bass. I know it sounds funny but I would consider buying this if both side have wrinkled drivers.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #210 of 391
My loaner unit Venus arrived yesterday and the left driver is winkled. The right driver looks fine. The wrinkled driver has better bass output. I tried swapping the L/R channel and result is consistent: every time I hear more bass from the wrinkled driver.

Wrinkled driver aside, the Venus sounds pretty good on my system. I demoed it when it first came out and was unimpressed. This time I was able to test it more thoroughly on my own system. The overall sound is cohesive and inoffensive. Good detail retrieval, okay soundstage, great tonality---instruments sound like what they actually are. Some people commented their treble being too bright but I don't find that to be the case. It's a good all-arounder. At this price point I prefer the Edition XS and thus won't be buying this one myself, but if you have the money, this is a decent investment.

Oh and also, the bass on the winkled driver slams pretty hard. Looser diaphragm = more travel = better bass. I know it sounds funny but I would consider buying this if both side have wrinkled drivers.

Thanks for the photos, which speak for themselves.

What you describe (more bass on the crumpled (damaged) driver) is possible, but not normal.

It's not normal to have a VENUS planar driver with a crumpled diaphragm like that in an accordion (loose diaphragm?).

Is it a diaphragm damaged during a loan (since it's a loan headphone); or is it a construction defect that wasn't seen during quality control?

In any case, this is the first VENUS planar headphone I've seen in this condition, for one of its drivers. Quality control is usually good, and driver matching (right channel - left channel) is excellent to within 1 dB.

Driver matching (right channel - left channel)

The first sample of the VENUS, measured by Crinacle, seems to have a poorer matching of right/left drivers at 14 KHz (unless it's a measurement artifact and/or a failure to place the drivers rigorously on the measurement platform, with poor driver centering?).
Anyway, my old ears can't hear anything at 14-15 KHz...

The second sample of the VENUS, measured by TechPowerUp (more rigorously than Crinacle?), is exemplary for the matching of right/left drivers, to within 1 dB over the whole FR range; it's remarkable!

24011010523723553818334569.png

First sample VENUS (planar) driver matching (right channel - left channel).

24011008125523553818334764.png

Second sample VENUS (planar) driver matching (right channel - left channel).

Below you'll find four more examples of right/left driver pairing, for four headphones with three different technologies (electrostatic, orthodynamic (planar) and electrodynamic).

24011008420423553818334785.png

For first comparison. Sennheiser HE-1 (electrostatic) driver matching (right channel - left channel).

24011011041323553818334571.png

For second comparison. Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC (planar) driver matching (right channel - left channel).

24011009000123553818334795.png

For third comparison. Kennerton Odin (planar) driver matching (right channel - left channel).

24011009000123553818334794.png

For fourth comparison. Sennheiser HD-600 (2020) (electrodynamic) driver matching (right channel - left channel).

If you buy the VENUS, make sure both drivers have a well-tensioned membrane (not wrinkled).

As for getting more bass level (+3 to +4 dB between 30 and 70 Hz) with the VENUS and increasing their snap and impact, without changing the pads or using an equalizer, it's very easy to achieve: simply break the pads' seal slightly on their front, as described here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...reasonable-price.970569/page-13#post-17904176

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back