Moondrop : Venus. .... mini review
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #16 of 53
Yes.

The result of the Pad mod...is that the sound deepened and widened, first and foremost, and the treble received a bit of smoothness, that didn't affect the overall clarity of the FR.
The pads are really comfy also.
I keep them on the Venus all the time.

I hope that Moondrop releases their E-Stat soon, as i'll get it immediately, and review it., more then likely.
Did the same and agree with all of the above. Just took them off and put them to bed. Didn’t want to, but it’s late. Great pairing though. Highly recommended 😀

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #17 of 53
I bought a Geekria headphone carrying case 13x10x5 and replaced their insert with the insert that came in the Venus box. Used the felt from the Geekria insert to fill in the gap at the top and presto! I can carry everything, including my Dac and my DAP in that one case. Need some glue to secure the insert, but nearly a perfect fit. Just an FYI.

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #18 of 53
Sometimes music needs to be loud enough for the user to enjoy. While my Sunniva earbuds says otherwise, this headphone is one of them. Underpowering it will result in a perceived lack of dynamics, while overpowering will result in sibilance and fatigue. However, the amount of power which it is able to feed on, is quite unending, even with a desktop amp, you can dial up to about 3 o'clock before feeling its capacity. With optimal power, (mine being 2w 16ohm rated) and the amount of power this guy consumes is about the same or more than a HD800 (rough estimation, as the HD800 can be powered from even a dongle), the Venus becomes a buttery headphone with superb layering capabilities, sub-bass reach, euphonic presentation, vocal separation, and lower treble clarity. This makes it ideal for Trance and J-Pop.

Though I have to say, the imaging and bass delivery isn't as good as my two other pair of earbuds, though they don't fall far enough for me to not enjoy them. When compared to my S12 planar IEM in memory, this headphone is miles above their capability. The resolution for this headphone is top :gs1000smile: kekw-notch. Not only is it fast, but it also resolves complex musical structures like eating breakfast. This is probably due to its planar structure. When it comes to timbre, the Venus are able to keep up pace with my dynamic driver earbuds, though the timbre can feel to be artificial abit the immersive presentation, and my buds are better on that department. However, when compared to my retired earbud, Venus offers unrivaled technicalities and immersion that is a league above what they could offer. Though, the Serratus wins on timbre, being more natural in their presentation. As someone who listens to a lot of J-Trance and Complextro, Venus is here to stay in my collection, even though towards slower music like classical, I still prefer my earbuds for them.

Tip: Do remember to position the earpads for optimal effects.

IMG_20230919_183726.jpg

Also this review was done with the 8-core 4.4mm balanced cable that comes with the Venus, as I can't find my 16-core upgrade cable that I bought it during pre-order. :sob:

Edit: ...And Moondrop just dropped their new planar with the same size at half the price of Venus. I guess my Venus's novelty was short-lived. 😢

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/see-moondrop-planar-para-cd-player-and-2dd-8ba-flagship-iem.969802

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 53
Edit: ...And Moondrop just dropped their new planar with the same size at half the price of Venus. I guess my Venus's novelty was short-lived. 😢
Hi there IamInnocentX3,

I read this line and was wondering if you are planning to or already put your order in for the recently announced Moondrop PARA headphones?

in any case I am wondering if you have any more information than I do. at the moment I have asked Moondrop CS in the thread you linked for details regarding whether the PARA is in-stock ready to ship and why it says "Preorder for 7 days" on the ShenzenAudio website.

do you know if the PARA is in-stock right now? or is there a release date? (sometimes announcement only means "it's coming soon")

I just found the PARA's listed on Moondrop's official Aliexpress store. it says earliest arrival is October 03. which is two weeks away, but it also often takes 2 weeks for orders from Aliexpress to arrive in my region, so I think it's in-stock??

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 53
Well, I for one have not put an order for the PARA headphones, and seeing as the FR introduces less bass and upper treble for the PARA, I will likely not place an order for it. Even though customer reviews have been saying their audio profile are smoother than the Venus. (And I do agree to a certain level, as I found the Venus to be quite harsh or unnatural sometimes with their more prominent upper treble.)

1695201040376.png

I think the shipping depends on Moondrop themselves. but I can't say for ShenzhenAudio, as I ordered my headphone previously from another platform, and due to a special case, I only paid for the upgrade cable, and I ordered the headphone from another shop. I will likely repurchase Line 'W' or the 'UP!' cable sometime soon. as my cable went missing while I was away from my home.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #22 of 53
You can contact Moondrop for the dimensions, it's not stated in the manual.

IMG_20230920_225308.jpg
IMG_20230920_225115.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 53
Well, I for one have not put an order for the PARA headphones, and seeing as the FR introduces less bass and upper treble for the PARA, I will likely not place an order for it. Even though customer reviews have been saying their audio profile are smoother than the Venus. (And I do agree to a certain level, as I found the Venus to be quite harsh or unnatural sometimes with their more prominent upper treble.)

I think the shipping depends on Moondrop themselves. but I can't say for ShenzhenAudio, as I ordered my headphone previously from another platform, and due to a special case, I only paid for the upgrade cable, and I ordered the headphone from another shop. I will likely repurchase Line 'W' or the 'UP!' cable sometime soon. as my cable went missing while I was away from my home.
thank you for your reply.

I see so you have decided not to order the Para.

may I ask what the measurement tool thing you are using in your screenshot?

I still haven't gotten a reply from Moondrop CS about the availability of the Para, but I am pretty confident if I order now it will arrive 10 days from now - according to Aliexpress estimates which are usually a bit exaggerated. Venus is out of my budget unfortunately.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #24 of 53
may I ask what the measurement tool thing you are using in your screenshot?
You wouldn't want to know... A plastic ruler.

Edit:
So, I do not want to double post but I do want to mention something: Venus pairs really well with the S.M.S.L. D300 DAC, which is said to have an R2R Analogue type of signature. When paired with the D300, the Venus becomes both a detail monster while singing with musicality in comparison to the flat SU-1. I'm hearing tons of more detail with the D300 along with more liveliness, which is a prime upgrade from the SU-1. I found my head bobbin to the drop of this song:

With the D300, I could turn up the volume with my headphone amp up to 2 o'clock, with sibilance only applied to several specific songs. With the SU-1, I can only turn up to 12 o'clock, any more than that the majority of the songs are prone to sibilance. Although with the D300, static may occur with my laptop and equipment, which is dangerous, and probably will lead to equipment failure. This is probably due to an electro shock that occured with an amplifier of mine last time. I have to open up and check for repairs soon, since its out of the warranty date.

Also, awaiting impressions of the PARA with the Venus.

Update: Welp, performed surgery checkup for my D300. Cant find the problem through multimeter checking, but I definitely found some of the plastic sleeves around the plug area being loose. Tightened them up and screw everything back in. So far, the problem has been solved...? Problem now, I have to check the voltage around my house and design a solution.

Update 2: Nah, caps need replacement. Although the tonality was top notch, can't risk the health if the equipment is leaking electricity.

Update 3: Issue likely related to the plastic sleeves. After applying a questionably limited amount of insulating tape, only enough to cover the exposed area of the plastic sheet, the issue seems to be mitigated. At least I don't feel the current leakage for now.

Update 4: Used a Voltage regulator to lower the voltage from 250V AC to 220-225V AC. Leakage issues majorly sorted.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #27 of 53
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #29 of 53
You wouldn't want to know... A plastic ruler.

Edit:
So, I do not want to double post but I do want to mention something: Venus pairs really well with the S.M.S.L. D300 DAC, which is said to have an R2R Analogue type of signature. When paired with the D300, the Venus becomes both a detail monster while singing with musicality in comparison to the flat SU-1. I'm hearing tons of more detail with the D300 along with more liveliness, which is a prime upgrade from the SU-1. I found my head bobbin to the drop of this song:

With the D300, I could turn up the volume with my headphone amp up to 2 o'clock, with sibilance only applied to several specific songs. With the SU-1, I can only turn up to 12 o'clock, any more than that the majority of the songs are prone to sibilance. Although with the D300, static may occur with my laptop and equipment, which is dangerous, and probably will lead to equipment failure. This is probably due to an electro shock that occured with an amplifier of mine last time. I have to open up and check for repairs soon, since its out of the warranty date.

Also, awaiting impressions of the PARA with the Venus.

Update: Welp, performed surgery checkup for my D300. Cant find the problem through multimeter checking, but I definitely found some of the plastic sleeves around the plug area being loose. Tightened them up and screw everything back in. So far, the problem has been solved...? Problem now, I have to check the voltage around my house and design a solution.

Update 2: Nah, caps need replacement. Although the tonality was top notch, can't risk the health if the equipment is leaking electricity.

Update 3: Issue likely related to the plastic sleeves. After applying a questionably limited amount of insulating tape, only enough to cover the exposed area of the plastic sheet, the issue seems to be mitigated. At least I don't feel the current leakage for now.

Update 4: Used a Voltage regulator to lower the voltage from 250V AC to 220-225V AC. Leakage issues majorly sorted.
sorry again for the delayed reply. I am not that active in this forum. 😖

umm yeah so I don't have any separate DAC + amps so sorry I don't have much to say for most of your comment.

regarding the Moondrop Para. I discovered something recently very unusual about it. this is the spec from Moondrop.
Sensitivity: 101dB/Vrms(@1kHz)
Impedance: 8Ω±15%(@1kHz)

so sensitivity is quite low, 101dB at 1Vrms means Apple 3.5mm dongle at maximum volume will achieve this spec. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...adphone-adapter-audio-measurements-png.18462/

but that is with 1khz test tone and need to account for headroom right? so 101dB is for peak volume and the actual listening volume will be below 101dB. I don't know how much lower it depends on the dynamic range of your source file I guess. do you know what the safe average listening volume is below the peak volume will be? 6dB? 10dB? I have never measured it but I am thinking I listen to and need at least 80+dB average.

anyway I always followed sensitivity dB/mW spec for loudness and power requirement. but this 8ohm Moondrop Para is cutting the power requirement very close. I wonder if it can achieve enough loudness with Apple dongle, I can only find out if I buy it and try I guess (it depends on Apple dongle power output at 8 ohms). if it not enough, I will need to buy a DAC amp extra to use the Moondrop Para, which means for me it lowers the value. something like Topping DX1 or maybe even Topping L30 which has plenty of power, but then I need to look for separate DAC as well.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #30 of 53
so sensitivity is quite low, 101dB at 1Vrms means Apple 3.5mm dongle at maximum volume will achieve this spec. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...adphone-adapter-audio-measurements-png.18462/

but that is with 1khz test tone and need to account for headroom right? so 101dB is for peak volume and the actual listening volume will be below 101dB. I don't know how much lower it depends on the dynamic range of your source file I guess. do you know what the safe average listening volume is below the peak volume will be? 6dB? 10dB? I have never measured it but I am thinking I listen to and need at least 80+dB average.

Considering the power draw, a budget stack like S.M.S.L. C200, or a Schiit Magni + Modi stack will do. I can't guarantee whether a dongle will provide optimal sound quality for a planar magnetic. This depends also upon the capabilities of the headphone, and whether they synergize well with your DAC/Amp. In head-fi review section, you can find people using Questyle M15 to power the Abyss AB-1266 phi TC, and SMSL C200 for powering a HE6Se, while leaving positive impressions.

I spent around 1300 Yuan or 178 usd to build my chain, not regarding the more expensive D300 DAC. I want to say a Topping E30 is enough, but the tonality might not be keeping up with this age. Heck, anything that provides 400mW is more than enough to guarantee the cleanliness of the sound. But yeah, you might have to research and cash in a bit to find idea powerhouse for the PARA. If possible, find some audiophile headphone local stores and demo their equipment, and find the sound you truly need.

if it not enough, I will need to buy a DAC amp extra to use the Moondrop Para, which means for me it lowers the value. something like Topping DX1 or maybe even Topping L30 which has plenty of power, but then I need to look for separate DAC as well.

Yeah, you might have to cash in a bit. I did mine by doing research. The 101db/Vrms is not mW, concerting to db/mW will result in 81db/mW, and people (I read in Reddit) state that they need more power draw than the Venus to sound optimally. Taobao customer review section consists of people spending quite a lot for their setup. Several of them owns DAC/Amp that costs more than the price of the PARA.

I would recommend the FiiO K7 for an AIO, but I'm not sure whether it powers as low as 8ohm. You might also venture into budget speaker amps to power these due to their 8ohms specifications that matches the output of many speaker amps. :floatsmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back