Moondrop : Venus. .... mini review
Jan 12, 2023 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
1-12-2023

Moondrop Venus : mini review

Box : Simple Functional

Cables : (2)... Very nice/Impressive.....1.) Copper/cloth SE..... 2.) Silver Braided 4.4m Balanced.... Better than what comes stock with the recent ZMF Caldera.

Pads : Leather

Headband : Comfy : Pleather ??

Frame : Aluminum

------------------------------------------

The new Venus model is coming from a company that is new to Planar Headphones.
They have created a sound product, and its going to appeal to audiophiles who want neutrality and good linearity which does not attempt to add false clarity or fake resolution.
The Venus by Moondrop does not try to give you more inside its leather cups than what the music actually provides into the cables.

We are living in an age of Headphone manufacturing that tries to dial up too much resolution, vs providing accurate resolution and naturalness of sound : as Job 1.
The Venus is an attractive Aluminum designed gear, with an almost Apple type of aesthetic. Its mostly comfortable to wear, its not heavy, and its a $600 USD headphone that offers more sonic value than that price suggests.

What does it sound like?
This one is easy to define, as it sounds like a Hifiman, but smoother and warmer and with better midrange.
IN fact id estimate that this gear is designed according to the the Hifiman House sound.
If you like the HEK Hifiman gear, you will probably like the Venus Moondrop a lot, as it really nails the Hifiman idea of sound with added midrange, and its very affordable.
I do find it to offer a slightly more natural and more forward midrange tonality and Timbre then the HEK series which is a plus.

Treble
:

Extended, and has a slight energetic emphases in the area where Female vocals and Acoustic Guitars live and breath.
This allows for a touch of added clarity in this EQ region.

Midrange :

Its the star of the show. Its clean, its accurate, is very natural, not recessed, which accounts for the Venus's overall linearity.
Consider the Venus's midrange to be 1 step forward as compared to the Bass response which makes it perfect for Vocals.

Upper Bass
:

Very neutral, which allows the sound of the Venus to be perceived as very CLEAN

Sub Bass :

Extended but Linear. Balanced but does not slam. Full but natural.

Instrument Separation :

Very Good.

Soundstage:

Immersive, nice depth, and reaches more L<>R than Front.

Final Analysis :

Another nice sounding gear hits the obsessed Audiophile scene.
Not for Bass Heads, as this MoonDrop gear has a mostly polite FR and Sonic Signature.
Dynamically, its a bit smooth.

The Moondrop Venus is created to sound accurate, natural, with a very slight overall FR tilt towards the Treble, yet it remains quite natural within its midrange presentation.
The Venus has a n balanced bass response combined with very natural sound.

My set came from :

Headphones.com
-
Moondrop_Venus2_404089be-4b84-4ec6-ab35-4f5bcb56d9ba.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 53
Appreciate the thread and hope there will be more impressions of the Venus. When people said in reviews that they sounded similar to the Arya or HEK, I was intrigued and did some digging, and what I found is astonishing! Other than the bass and lower-mids being +10db more on the HEKV2, the FR of the Venus is similar to the HEKV2s. The graph of the HEKV2s can be found here.

Venus FR
Venus FR.png

HEKV2 FR
HEKV2 FR.png

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 53
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 53
550 grams I consider relatively heavy.
Thought it was 615g... either way, way too heavy.

The longer I,m in this hobby, the more sensitive i become to weight.

Personally, i consider anything over 450g too heavy.

Jan 19, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 53
Appreciate the thread and hope there will be more impressions of the Venus. When people said in reviews that they sounded similar to the Arya or HEK, I was intrigued and did some digging, and what I found is astonishing! Other than the bass and lower-mids being +10db more on the HEKV2, the FR of the Venus is similar to the HEKV2s. The graph of the HEKV2s can be found here.

Venus FR

HEKV2 FR

Its a good gear.
Perhaps, deeper cups would make it a must buy, as the Leather cups that are supplied are "neutral".
Ive ordered some ModHouse Alcantara deeper cups, and once i have them i'll update the review.
Nevertheless, if i dont like the deeper cups on them, id still be quite happy with them as they are, as they offer good sound. as is...

and...
once the Moondrop ZERO (E-STAT) is in a store, i'll buy it, and then review it, as if its as good as the Venus, then, that's a win+win.
I hope so.
I just picked up and reviewed the STAX SRM-D50 and the L-700 MK2's and im now a utter convert to E-Stats.
I'll let you know about the Moondrop E-Stats....as soon as the ZERO's are for sale somewhere in the world..

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 53
Definitely. The chinese have made many DIY offerings based on Electrostats and Planar headphones, some notable examples are the Original Voice & Nan headphones. HFM being the first, then we have Goldplanar, and now Moondrop. Yet, Moondrop excels in making ambitious products that are not only competitive priced, but also excels in both sound quality and build quality. I have high hopes for their upcoming Estats.

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 53
Got these last night and really love them.

One interesting thing that I don’t hear as much with other headphones is when I put my hands near the back of the cups I can really hear the sounds bounce off and back into the headphone. So I don’t recommend having anything near your head while listening, unless you enjoy the echo.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #13 of 53
Got these last night and really love them.

One interesting thing that I don’t hear as much with other headphones is when I put my hands near the back of the cups I can really hear the sounds bounce off and back into the headphone. So I don’t recommend having anything near your head while listening, unless you enjoy the echo.

Very good headphones.
I purchased the Mod House pads that Z-Reviews recommended and its a win.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 53
Very good headphones.
I purchased the Mod House pads that Z-Reviews recommended and its a win.
I was looking at those! Did you get th sheep skin? What happened to the sound?

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 53
I was looking at those! Did you get th sheep skin? What happened to the sound?

Yes.

The result of the Pad mod...is that the sound deepened and widened, first and foremost, and the treble received a bit of smoothness, that didn't affect the overall clarity of the FR.
The pads are really comfy also.
I keep them on the Venus all the time.

I hope that Moondrop releases their E-Stat soon, as i'll get it immediately, and review it., more then likely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back