Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #11,191 of 12,008
Is it just me or does the Variations sound a bit weird in the bass for rock/metal? Adding 2 dB midbass and -1 dB subbass fixes this, i guess, which also helps for male vocals.
I also feel that the Variations can be quite lean/thin sounding in the lower mids and upper bass region. It depends a lot on the source though. The Apple Lightning adapter seems to be rolled off in the bass and pairs well with the Variations, no adjustments needed.
The Chord Hugo 2 which has very well defined and extended bass makes the sub bass overpowering, and on the Mojo 2 I like -3 … -4 dB sub bass and +2dB of the 250Hz shelf to tame the sub bass and fill in the mid bass/lower mids

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #11,192 of 12,008
Chu is a little bundle of happiness, and I enjoyed some aspects of it while not liking the others. Read here to know what I didl ike and what I did not:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-chu.25831/review/28605/

20220531_154219.jpg

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #11,193 of 12,008
I ordered a set of Chu as a "disposable" set in case I am traveling. I had a question about the removable cables; In my opinion, the Moondrop cables for their other "entry-level" (Starfield) are not good IMO (feels flimsy, and tangles easily). What is a good alternative that isn't going to break the bank?

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #11,194 of 12,008
decided to make my first purchase, the chu since it wasn't really hyped up and seemed underappreciated + just look at my waifu.
if I had to describe the chu it feels as if I'm not listening with earphones(if that makes sense) is this soundstage? it feels clear and crisp a neutral sound with lean bass easy to listen too and a bit airy as well
a con I'd say it lacks body and the treble gets a bit high at times
it comes with a carrying pouch(a lil small) 3 sets of spring tips and ear hooks
its a refined sound with a pleasant build quality and comfort it's galactically better than what I was using
I am happy with it and cant wait to learn more about this hobby I ask for your assistance in that thankyou and farewell

Attachments

• chu.jpg
    chu.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 1, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #11,195 of 12,008
I ordered a set of Chu as a "disposable" set in case I am traveling. I had a question about the removable cables; In my opinion, the Moondrop cables for their other "entry-level" (Starfield) are not good IMO (feels flimsy, and tangles easily). What is a good alternative that isn't going to break the bank?

U can try the NiceHCK 8 core copper cables, I bought like around 10 or so from Aliexpress. Around $6 - 8 USD each. Very well braided, supple, tangle free, no microphonics. And they have very low resistance on measurements.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #11,196 of 12,008
U can try the NiceHCK 8 core copper cables, I bought like around 10 or so from Aliexpress. Around $6 - 8 USD each. Very well braided, supple, tangle free, no microphonics. And they have very low resistance on measurements.
Too bad that XINHS is the only budget cable worth buying. :wink:

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #11,197 of 12,008
Jun 3, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #11,198 of 12,008
Got my Kato the other day. Some initial impressions from an inexperienced listener...

Day 1.
Been listening to KZ ZSX the day before to have a point of reference. When I unpack the Katos they look so small. But are so heavy. Overall, the look is awesome!

Sound-wise, from the first minutes, Kato gives an immediate impression of more refined mids and treble, bass also, but not as apparent. At first got a little of "where are all the highs have gone?" feeling. I guess this is the difference between "cheap" shouty highs (upper mids?) and "refined" ones. On the other hand, this "lack" of highs lets you turn up the volume a little and enjoy the full spectrum of the music. After an hour or so there is no feeling of lack of highs anymore. What is also apparent is hearing new details unheard of in ZSXs, but mostly these sounds are various rustlings, fizzling, riffles and other record artifacts that don't seem to add value to the music, so not sure if I can call this an improvement :grin:

So first-day impression of the sound is "WOW", money well spent. I'll see how long it remains ))

A note on the fit & comfort though. Been a while since I unpacked a pair ofo IEMs, but I am pretty sure I usually take the M tips first and get a fit with those or L ones. The L spring tips here are a tad too small. Due to the weight of the IEM, one was getting out of my ear when I moved etc., so I only found a good fit with the foam L ones which feel a bit unusual though. The hooks are softer than KZs as well. Overall, it's much more hassle to get these on. With KZs (and TFZ kings) I just get them in and they're in the right place naturally, in pretty-much a single move.

Day 2.
As I get through more tracks I get a better impression of the sound signature. Which I would describe as "delicate". Or should I say "thin"?

I've switched between my TDA1543 DAC with Cayin HA-2i and Cayin RU6 (NOS mode) and found liking the latter more.

After a while, the engagement in music got reduced... fatigue? You know, this feeling when you're not really happy with the sound and are looking for ways to "improve" something... Then I remembered about the interchangeable sound filters. Switched from default Steel ones to Brass. Nothing apparent changed in the sound signature, but the enjoyment was back. As usual, brass is better for sound than stell :grin: Not sure if from the change in sound or from "doing something to improve the sound". We'll see.

Day 3.
Day 3 is starting today, I'll see what it brings.

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_163405.jpg
    IMG_20220601_163405.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220601_164012.jpg
    IMG_20220601_164012.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220601_165043.jpg
    IMG_20220601_165043.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #11,199 of 12,008
Got my Kato the other day. Some initial impressions from an inexperienced listener...

Day 1.
Been listening to KZ ZSX the day before to have a point of reference. When I unpack the Katos they look so small. But are so heavy. Overall, the look is awesome!

Sound-wise, from the first minutes, Kato gives an immediate impression of more refined mids and treble, bass also, but not as apparent. At first got a little of "where are all the highs have gone?" feeling. I guess this is the difference between "cheap" shouty highs (upper mids?) and "refined" ones. On the other hand, this "lack" of highs lets you turn up the volume a little and enjoy the full spectrum of the music. After an hour or so there is no feeling of lack of highs anymore. What is also apparent is hearing new details unheard of in ZSXs, but mostly these sounds are various rustlings, fizzling, riffles and other record artifacts that don't seem to add value to the music, so not sure if I can call this an improvement :grin:

So first-day impression of the sound is "WOW", money well spent. I'll see how long it remains ))

A note on the fit & comfort though. Been a while since I unpacked a pair ofo IEMs, but I am pretty sure I usually take the M tips first and get a fit with those or L ones. The L spring tips here are a tad too small. Due to the weight of the IEM, one was getting out of my ear when I moved etc., so I only found a good fit with the foam L ones which feel a bit unusual though. The hooks are softer than KZs as well. Overall, it's much more hassle to get these on. With KZs (and TFZ kings) I just get them in and they're in the right place naturally, in pretty-much a single move.

Day 2.
As I get through more tracks I get a better impression of the sound signature. Which I would describe as "delicate". Or should I say "thin"?

I've switched between my TDA1543 DAC with Cayin HA-2i and Cayin RU6 (NOS mode) and found liking the latter more.

After a while, the engagement in music got reduced... fatigue? You know, this feeling when you're not really happy with the sound and are looking for ways to "improve" something... Then I remembered about the interchangeable sound filters. Switched from default Steel ones to Brass. Nothing apparent changed in the sound signature, but the enjoyment was back. As usual, brass is better for sound than stell :grin: Not sure if from the change in sound or from "doing something to improve the sound". We'll see.

Day 3.
I'm loving my Katos had mine a week, if u want s. Good fit in ears. I'm using Spinfit 240 on mine. They see the double ones. Give a great seal and great Bass , if your on Android check out wavelet EQ the AutoEQ has Kato listed do works fab

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #11,200 of 12,008
I just got a pair of Katos a few days ago. I have quite a few over-ear headphones, but these are my first IEMs (apart from freebies that come with phones).

Comfort is decent and I have no problem wearing these for hours, but I had to bend the ear-hooks to a more fitting shape.

The spring tips are a little weird for me personally, but maybe I'm just not used to them. They feel a bit flimsy and sometimes the IEMs get dislodged if I talk, chew or smile. I get a much more secure fit and seal with the foam tips, but they do alter the sound slightly. Also, the foam tips provide much better isolation than the spring tips. I have some Azla tips on the way too, so I'm curious how those will compare.

Tuning-wise these are well balanced, and to me they have a pretty inoffensive warm-neutral sound. I feel like the treble (especially the extension) is a bit on the dark side, kind of like an HD650. This could probably be altered by different tips or insertion depths though, but that's how I hear them at least.

For technicalities I can't compare these other IEMs (never had any), but based on my experience with over-ear headphones like the HD580, HD650 or Sundara, I would say these slightly lack in resolution as well as macro-contrast, but it could be unfair to expect IEMs to match over-ear headphones in those regards. On the upside, the Katos have a satisfying sense of tactility around transients while remaining fatigue-free at the same time. The soundstage doesn't impress with width, but it more than makes up for it with decent depth / three-dimensionality, and very good image separation and placement.

While I have a few nitpicks, overall I'm pretty happy with these. I also have a pair of Chus on the way, so I'm looking forward to comparing those.

I got the Azla light short tips I ordered for the Kato. They have noticeably better isolation than the spring tips, and I like that they don't feel as flimsy as those. However, I'm really not a fan of the sound. I've heard that these would add more air above 10kHz, which is what I wanted, but the way they do this is pretty uneven to my ears.

Basically I'm just getting a very noticeable peak around 13-13.5kHz that adds a sharp high-pitched shimmering sound to hi-hats and alike. I would have liked to increase the air region as a whole instead of just adding one peak. I have to use an EQ filter with -4dB / 13300Hz / Q3.5 to make these tips sound more normal.

I'm not sure how much this depends on personal ear anatomy, but I won't be using these tips with the Katos. I'll try them on the Chus as well when those arrive.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #11,201 of 12,008
I got the Azla light short tips I ordered for the Kato. They have noticeably better isolation than the spring tips, and I like that they don't feel as flimsy as those. However, I'm really not a fan of the sound. I've heard that these would add more air above 10kHz, which is what I wanted, but the way they do this is pretty uneven to my ears.

Basically I'm just getting a very noticeable peak around 13-13.5kHz that adds a sharp high-pitched shimmering sound to hi-hats and alike. I would have liked to increase the air region as a whole instead of just adding one peak. I have to use an EQ filter with -4dB / 13300Hz / Q3.5 to make these tips sound more normal.

I'm not sure how much this depends on personal ear anatomy, but I won't be using these tips with the Katos. I'll try them on the Chus as well when those arrive.
Try spinfit 240 i love mine also. If on Android use Wavelet EQ and select Kato in AutoEQ

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #11,202 of 12,008
Picked up a Blessing 2 the other day and my RU6 arrived this morning so this is my first chance to listen. Wasn’t expecting much as this is just a portable rig for around the house since I rarely travel for work these days. As my first foray into IEMs I’m pleasantly surprised.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #11,203 of 12,008

Day 1.

Day 2.

Day 3.
Glad you like the kato and your experience seems to be the opposite of mine. :confused: Did you do a burn-in? I probably should try comparing them again.

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #11,204 of 12,008
I'm using an 8-wire silver litz to good effect but I also use Comply tips which helps tame the upper mids.
Yes, I've also tried different tips with S8 ... and stood with original ones at the end ... to get the most natural top-end sparkle. Foam tips smooth this too much for me.
I haven't heard pure silver cable (Isn't it spc?), but spc adds some fatigue to Low/Hi hats specifically.
My last best combination is 7N occ + orig. tips :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #11,205 of 12,008
Yes, I've also tried different tips with S8 ... and stood with original ones at the end ... to get the most natural top-end sparkle. Foam tips smooth this too much for me.
I haven't heard pure silver cable (Isn't it spc?), but spc adds some fatigue to Low/Hi hats specifically.
My last best combination is 7N occ + orig. tips :)
I'm not generally a fan of SPC but it varies like any cable made of similar materials. There's a $6k interconnect I love that is silver rolled over copper so I wouldn't make assumptions and just listen. Complys also don't sound like other common foam tips generally included with IEMs. They are more porous, open cell and also don't last nearly as long.

I use a pure silver litz plus complys. It's one of my cheaper cables as well. The complys work great with the upper mid forwardness while the cable retains the highs without getting lean in the bass. I've tried a lot of combos but this is what worked best for me on a variety of sources. I have another silver cable that's too hot up top and the 4 core version of this cable that's simply too lean so it will vary and your choice will also depend on associated equipment and preference. I use a NiceHCK LitzPS-Pro 8 Core 4N Litz Pure Silver with the Complys with a pretty great result, for me. They punch above their price point this way with my associations.

For me it's about phase, octave to octave smoothness/connectedness and resolution, PRaT. The s8 fits that bill well. The rest is voicing with tips and cable to get it where it competes with the costly sets. I've had costly customs, PP8s, Andromeda, EEs with ADEL(still own), e-stats etc and I like these the best as configured. I think I'm sensitive to phase or group delay etc. I haven't heard everything so not saying these are going to be everyone's endgame but they're a lot better than they should be once you get them voiced to preference. I think the complys give a slight ADEL effect as well and opens them up even more. I actually haven't liked Complys on other earphones I've owned as they damped the upper mids too much on those but I love them here with that cable. YMMV as some like extra sparkle etc. Viva la difference.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back