Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #10,246 of 11,979
Oh the VDSF response somewhat varies based on the design of the model, it's not a definite law for us to follow a specific FR for all the products.
I know, but based on this below, you can see why my KATO is deviating from expectations.

1633191011843.png

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #10,247 of 11,979
I shared this in the other thread in the sponsor announcement section but figured I should do so here too. I think something's off with my KATO sample to where it almost exactly matches MOONDROP's VDSF target even though it should not:

Frequency response.jpg Comparison 2.jpg

It measures the same with other nozzles, tips, and even different cables. Sounds just like it measures too, definitely less bass than the Aria and gets darker quicker as well. I actually prefer the tuning here until it gets to the trebles where it got slightly sibilant before rolling off the cliff. Even so, it clearly doesn't match the set tuning on the product page.

@MOONDROP, any idea if this is an accidental tuning? Or did I just come across a unicorn KATO?

Well it may not be accurate to compare graphs using different measuring setups/couplers (like eg Moondrop's product page versus external measuring setup). There's so many variables at play, different equipment, insertion depth, coupler peak location, different seal/eartips used etc. Graphs are better compared for different IEMs using the same setup by the same individual.

Anyway, rule number one in this hobby, don't trust store provided graphs. Moondrop may not be one of the guilty ones, but a lot of other CHIFI companies like to stretch the axis of their graphs and make the FR look super smooth on the store page. This removes peaks and troughs and looks like an amazing FR that may entice some customers. But on actual listening, the sound doesn't correspond with the store graph!

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #10,248 of 11,979
Well it may not be accurate to compare graphs using different measuring setups/couplers (like eg Moondrop's product page versus external measuring setup). There's so many variables at play, different equipment, insertion depth, coupler peak location, different seal/eartips used etc. Graphs are better compared for different IEMs using the same setup by the same individual.

Anyway, rule number one in this hobby, don't trust store provided graphs. Moondrop may not be one of the guilty ones, but a lot of other CHIFI companies like to stretch the axis of their graphs and make the FR look super smooth on the store page. This removes peaks and troughs and looks like an amazing FR that may entice some customers. But on actual listening, the sound doesn't correspond with the store graph!
It's not just that, pretty much everyone else has the FR of the KATO in line with the Aria in the bass and lower mids but with my sample.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #10,249 of 11,979
Can someone recommend a decent balanced cable that has the flat connector ? the ones with the round plugs are just loose and i already had an accident that costed me 60 bucks plus whatever customs decides to charge me for "reimporting" my blessing 2.

Oct 3, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #10,250 of 11,979
Oh the VDSF response somewhat varies based on the design of the model, it's not a definite law for us to follow a specific FR for all the products.
I think he's trying to say the fr curve isn't consistent with other Kato samples because it's supposed to measure closely to the aria/starfield/kxxs in the bass/lower mid range if the other Kato samples are anything to go by. Unless you're trying to say every Kato follows a different fr curve?

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #10,254 of 11,979
Looking at your Aria graph, it seems to have more bass than the others I saw. Maybe the Aria is the unicorn.
If you look at the relative dB changes with the VDSF target, it's almost spot on with my KATO sample. Likewise, MOONDROP's factory FR for the KATO is quite off from mine in the lows. Now of course this is assuming they are using something compatible measurement-wise, so if not then it's all a different ball game. Then we can compare to other media guys using IEC711 couplers, who all have similar relative changes to the MOONDROP FR too so.. Let's see if they say anything, this sample came from HiFiGo so I don't really have a direct line of communication with MOONDROP.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #10,255 of 11,979
If you look at the relative dB changes with the VDSF target, it's almost spot on with my KATO sample. Likewise, MOONDROP's factory FR for the KATO is quite off from mine in the lows. Now of course this is assuming they are using something compatible measurement-wise, so if not then it's all a different ball game. Then we can compare to other media guys using IEC711 couplers, who all have similar relative changes to the MOONDROP FR too so.. Let's see if they say anything, this sample came from HiFiGo so I don't really have a direct line of communication with MOONDROP.
Measurements from @Otto Motor also show differences in the lows:
FB_IMG_1633272597459.jpg

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #10,256 of 11,979
Very interesting, I wonder if there are some major QC issues or sample variation ongoing?

With this new info, I think I'll delay publishing my review till I get some sort of clarity from MOONDROP if possible. I don't want to put out something that may be outdated info soon after. I'd rather get the story straight than publish early.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #10,257 of 11,979
Very interesting, I wonder if there are some major QC issues or sample variation ongoing?

With this new info, I think I'll delay publishing my review till I get some sort of clarity from MOONDROP if possible. I don't want to put out something that may be outdated info soon after. I'd rather get the story straight than publish early.
Measurements from Super Review also show some differences in the lows between Kato and Aria.

Maybe this is a useless question in this case, but what eartips did you use in the Aria measurements?

graph(2).png

In fact, the only measurements I've seen that show the two with "the same bass quantity were the ones of Crinacle.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #10,258 of 11,979
Measurements from Super Review also show some differences in the lows between Kato and Aria.

Maybe this is a useless question in this case, but what eartips did you use in the Aria measurements?

graph(2).png

In fact, the only measurements I've seen that show the two with "the same bass quantity were the ones of Crinacle.
If it's a good enough fit, I always use size M stock silicone tips that come with the IEMs. This was the case with the Aria as well, where we only get silicone tips in the box.

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #10,259 of 11,979
I don't understand what it is but I am having great trouble in making my newly bought Starfield to insert as deep as needed. I have ordered some triflange eartips but still...

Am I the only one with this problem?

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #10,260 of 11,979

I think if you want a satisfying answer there are few options.

1) You send back your unit to Moondrop so they can analyze whether it's a lemon or not.
2) Moondrop send another unit to you so you can re-measure and compare both units.
3) Someone loans a KATO to you or you send your unit to someone like Super*Review (@MRSallee) so he can compare it with his unit present on https://squig.link.

Both of them are kinda bothersome and add shipping costs for someone, so... dunno if it's worth it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back