Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #9,691 of 12,011
Moondrop S8 will be on offer from Monday.

I live in Europe, if I order from the Shenzhen Audio shop with AliExpress standard shipping - 20 € declaration - do you think I will have customs fees? Experiences about it?
The EU tax regulation has changed recently. On AliExpress you automatically pay all fees during checkout (in theory). My last orders weren't that expensive but I didn't have to pay any extra.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #9,693 of 12,011
Do you have the Azla Crystal?
can you do a comparison?

thank you, 🙏
Compare with Azla Crystal. Fits wise is much comfortable as I don't like the sticky feel of crystal. Bgvp has much good vocals than crystal

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #9,696 of 12,011
Does anyone else just forgo using the filters on the dusk?
I do.
My B2 Dusk were second hand. The filters came off whey I changed the tips the first time. I installed new filters on.... and they came right off the next time I changed the tips in my tip rolling experiments. They are not worth the hassle IMO.

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #9,697 of 12,011
Another question, I have no experience with TOTL IEMs - Etymotic ER4XR the best I've had - but I've had very good headphones like the Hifiman Ananda and Focal Clear.

Is anyone by any chance able to make a general comparison between S8 and Ananda / Clear?

Soundwise, the S8 is sounds a bit different from the Clear, but close enough that I can pin down those differences. The Clear has more detailed and more impactful bass, though about on par with the amount to my ears. I find the S8 could use just a touch more upper bass, while the Clear doesn't need adjustment. The mids on the S8 are a bit drier and less present, while the treble is a bit drier and more present. The S8 shows excellent separation between different kinds of instruments (strings and drums are very separated, for example, but not so much strings and other strings), while the Clear has more consistent separation and more natural timbre. The Clear has better raw resolving power, but the S8 has some advantage in getting detail in your ears since it's sealed. Soundstage is wider on the Clear, but it's not a blow-out (like it really should be) and the S8 has pretty decent width for an IEM.

From a more subjective standpoint, my favorite headphones right now are the Arya, the Clear, and the HD800S, and my favorite earphones are the S8. All for the same general reasons.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #9,699 of 12,011
I do.
My B2 Dusk were second hand. The filters came off whey I changed the tips the first time. I installed new filters on.... and they came right off the next time I changed the tips in my tip rolling experiments. They are not worth the hassle IMO.

A bit of bluetac solved the nozzle slip issue for me, but imo it is a faulty design on Moondrops part.

Nozzles need to be reduced in diameter, and a notch be engraved to hold the tips. Period.

2 pin / mmcx should move towards slight indented version or something like JH audio screws. This well... Affects the whole iem business. Everybody is still using the stupid 2 pin flat which doesn't survive any accidents which is dumb.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #9,700 of 12,011
Has anyone had to replace filters on the aria? I didn't even realize that they came with them until today when I looked inside the box for them. I just assumed that there were no filters as I've never had any problems with it falling off.
Yup, took the chance to mod them too (by removing the clear adhesive rings from the metal wax guards before installing them) :slight_smile:

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #9,701 of 12,011
Moondrop S8 will be on offer from Monday.

I live in Europe, if I order from the Shenzhen Audio shop with AliExpress standard shipping - 20 € declaration - do you think I will have customs fees? Experiences about it?
AliExpress started adding country-specific VAT to prices based on your shipping address, so I guess you won't have extra customs fees, VAT will be paid with the invoice. Better to check at AliExpress of course, but that's my impression.

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #9,702 of 12,011
IMO this cable is the best for instrumental tracks, bar none. For vocal it lack some focus and mids thou.
Try listening to some accordion such as this one:
https://www.highresaudio.com/en/alb...artita-no-1-in-b-flat-major-arr-for-accordion
Tried XINHS Gold/Silver and it raise the bass floor with slight treble extension which adds bit of finesse to Variations. Great combination indeed but it’s heavy!!😭😭 I switched back to stock cable for thr lightness, and the cable is now being used for DUNU SA6.

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #9,703 of 12,011
If you're buying S8 might as well do it on SHENZHEN AUDIO. Have not heard about new generation S8 anywhere.

Could be knock offs or fakes.
It’s called M8, but it seems that’s still a prototype. The blue capacitor used for M8 is the same one I see on latest batches of RS10, so I’m hoping M8 to be an affordable—within same range or lower of S8—RS10 which costs $2,100.
875E2797-52B7-4097-AAC2-AD366ED53A37.jpeg

35BB612B-EA08-4D69-B651-7651D985C79A.jpeg

As the price competition getting hard with many EST models with 5+ high-end BAs with in $700s range, such as Monarch, Clairvoyance, SE11, etc and with market maturity, I won’t be too surprised if M8 gets a price tag of $600, which is above SA6, but lower than Monarch/Clairvoyance ESTs.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #9,704 of 12,011
It’s called M8, but it seems that’s still a prototype. The blue capacitor used for M8 is the same one I see on latest batches of RS10, so I’m hoping M8 to be an affordable—within same range or lower of S8—RS10 which costs $2,100.875E2797-52B7-4097-AAC2-AD366ED53A37.jpeg
35BB612B-EA08-4D69-B651-7651D985C79A.jpeg

As the price competition getting hard with many EST models with 5+ high-end BAs with in $700s range, such as Monarch, Clairvoyance, SE11, etc and with market maturity, I won’t be too surprised if M8 gets a price tag of $600, which is above SA6, but lower than Monarch/Clairvoyance ESTs.
8 BA ?

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #9,705 of 12,011
Yea 8BA. I see S8 is in 3rd year of its product lifecycle, from a speculative point of view, so from a consumer’s perspective I’m expecting some renewals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back