Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #7,681 of 12,011
After 100 hours of burnin, just removed nozzle filter from Aria.

Below is Aria’s user guide, it states” LCP drivers got some issue at the time of beginning, and it needs 100 hours of burn-in”. Also I just noticed it comes with hex filter spares& internal acoustic filter spares. You can feel freely to remove hex filter.
79C76C4E-0674-478F-ABE6-3E4A01B9D550.jpeg

The muffled mid is almost gone!
-The sound is much more “lively”, finally a clear vision from top to bottom!
-The filter seemed still reattach-able
- do note I use Xelastec M (L makes it dark) eartip after rolling many others
-Trade off: a bit off-phase sub-bass, treble gets boosted as well, so it’s not moondrop’s house curve anymore
-diffusion field also got a bit narrower
-there are another layer of acoustic filter inside of the nozzle filter
-beware of proper fit, Aria needs deeper insertion than Starfield and KXXS, otherwise it will be a dead hollow sound; try to push it and listen to the sound change, when you get a completely sealed air vent hole, the magic kicks in, this is noticeable by driver flex sound due to insertion air pressure.
- I’d say this will bring Aria’s sound sigunature to bright neutral ( hints of U still exists)
-post burn-in, air presentation still seemed a bit rough but forgivable

bottomline: it’s not a magic to make Aria to top-of-the-line IEMs, but it is a significant technicality improvement. LCP is highly solid and elastic, the sound is very unique

I would refer Aria, with xelastec M, deeper insertion & full seal, removed nozzle, post 100 hr burn-in, as Mini-Softears RSV.

Sound image coordination and vector presentation is not what RSV level could offer, but as far as resolution and diffusion field width, it comes to closer region.

highly recommended to Aria owners👍now Aria hits on top of my list among KXXS/Starfield. It’s definitely not a “budget KXXS or Starfield” anymore.
Resolution is higher than NF Audio NM2+ now.

picture with stock nozzle filter : hex shape iron filter), the top black one is Aria.

2BEAAF70-0753-40BD-91F4-39CD38EBDC55.jpeg

After removing the hex iron filter:
3900BE6D-DDF9-4546-8870-B2C30EC52F73.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #7,682 of 12,011

-The filter seemed is still reattach-able
-Trade off: a bit off-phase sub-bass, treble gets boosted as well, so it’s not moondrop’s house curve anymore
-beware of proper fit, Aria needs deeper insertion than Starfield and KXXS, otherwise it will be a dead hollow sound
- I’d say this will bring Aria’s sound sigunature to bright neutral ( hints of U still exists)

highly recommended to Aria owners👍now Aria hits on top of my list among KXXS/Starfield. It’s definitely not a “budget KXXS or Starfield” anymore.
Looks like someone couldn't wait for the KXXS filters to arrive :laughing:

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #7,683 of 12,011

-The filter seemed is still reattach-able
-beware of proper fit, Aria needs deeper insertion than Starfield and KXXS, otherwise it will be a dead hollow sound

Good news!

Do you really think it's the filters? Or the burn-in? Because in fact Moondrop recommends 100 hours of burn-in, right?

Anyway, I'm going to buy the filters, they are really cheap.

Another thing I was thinking. When Aria's imaging is said to be bad, are they really bad or are they bad for the price?

In other words: are there better imaging for the same price as Aria? Or are they the best that IEMs in this price range can offer?

Because someone mentioned above (I don't remember who), that this is a limitation of the driver. So, if Aria / Starfield is considered a no-brainner in the $100 range, technically there is nothing better than that in this price range, right?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #7,684 of 12,011
Good news!

Do you really think it's the filters? Or the burn-in? Because in fact Moondrop recommends 100 hours of burn-in, right?

Another thing I was thinking. When Aria's imaging is said to be bad, are they really bad or are they bad for the price?

In other words: are there better imaging for the same price as Aria? Or are they the best that IEMs in this price range can offer?

Because someone mentioned above (I don't remember who), that this is a limitation of the driver. So, if Aria / Starfield is considered a no-brainner in the $100 range, technically there is nothing better than that in this price range, right?
I think bad if the wrong word.
It is more like Starfield has better imaging relative to Aria and Aria is better in terms of soundstage.

For the money I don't think you can find a better iem than the Moondrop Aria.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #7,685 of 12,011
Good news!

No, after recommended compulsory burn-in, the veil didn’t go off, I was a bit desperate and couldn’t wait replacement filters, I simply used a 📌 to remove the filter. It was very easy, no force needed.

Do note I did not use stock ear tip, as it makes bass boomy for both. So I used AZLA’s xelastec M size. (Usually I use L size but it made Aria’s sound signature too dark). Now the signature resembles to Sennheiser’s HD560S with slight emphasis on treble/air presentation and few bass range boost.

who said Aria’s imaging probably had 2 conditions:
1: unclear mid interrupted to generate top-to-bottom picture
2: pre-burn-in, trebles is very rough, that generates off-focus image

#1 can be solved by removing nozzle filter
#2 can be solved by 100gr burn-in
After that imaging is top notch. i would rank it A+. The best thus far single DD could reach. RSV got S-, Those with Sonion EST could get higher of S.

At a glance, It pars with blessing2’s resolution, I need to verify this later.

It’s beyond price range can offer. NF Audio NM2+ is $190, it barely tie or surpassing the resolution of NM2+. Strangely the treble is not as stingy like NM2+‘s, despite now they both seemed to have same quantity of the treble, the quality of the driver reproduction is different. Carbon Nanotute diaphragm is much more harsh, compared to LCP’s soft touch.

I had to say HZSound Heart Mirror still is an anomaly, CNT single DD that sound as good as Starfield. But it’s CNT driver after all, the touch is still hard & slow compared to LCP’s soft and fast touch. This means CNT driver produces less 2nd and 3rd harmonics of overtone, in real world the overtone contributes timbre’s softness and hardness. Just FYI, FiiO BTR5’s app FiiO control lets you to adjust these 2nd and 3rd harmonics, very niche function!
If anyone is experienced enough with DAP’s digital lowpass filter, harder sound comes with low-dispersion or fast delay, softer sound comes with super-slow or slow delay.

However the midrange-muffle is not completely gone, the piano sounds are still those of rather cooler touch on Aria. midranage touch can be categorized as Soft/Fast/Cool.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #7,686 of 12,011
It is more like Starfield has better imaging relative to Aria and Aria is better in terms of soundstage.

If I stick with stock preset, yes Starfield got clear image from top-to-bottom.

After removing nozzle filter of Aria, the story is different, it’s not the most natural timbre, but what I call “focusing” of sound image gets to A+ tier vs C+ tier.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #7,687 of 12,011

You're right.

The correct sentence would be "not so good".

If I stick with stock preset, yes Starfield got clear image from top-to-bottom.

After removing nozzle filter of Aria, the story is different, it’s not the most natural timbre, but what I call “focusing” of sound image gets to A+ tier vs C+ tier.
Amazing!

Edit: does Aurora sound better now?

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #7,688 of 12,011
You're right.

The correct sentence would be "not so good".

Amazing!

Edit: does Aurora sound better now?
Within Moondrop/Softears line up: my current tonality preference is:

Softears RSV>Moondrop Aria(open filter)>Blessing2 >KXXS>Starfield
Which does not mean Starfield is bad, Starfield is flawless.

Technicalities: RSV>Blessing2 >Aria(open filter)>KXXS >= Starfield

With hex filter I have to put tonality preference to the bottom, and technicalities to Starfield >= Aria

Aria’s open filter produces female vocal to the best of all, almost par with Softears RSV, which many notable reviewers praise it to a good reference tuned competitors of top kilobuck TOTL IEM line ups.

I’d hgihly recommend to not only as sub$100 choice but to even to consider it as an option before buying $ an IEM that costs $1,000. Just buy and remove the hex filter, burn it for 100 hours, get a xelastec M, stick it deep into ear, all set👍

Still waiting Blessing 2 Dusk, and once it gets here, I will add a cross review, of which you will not be surprised to see Aria(open filter) to sit above 80/100 score, of which Blessing2 currently has 89/100, RSV 97/100, Thieaudio Monarch (with recabled linsoul LSC08) 97/100, UM MEST Mkii 99/100.
9B8AF155-90AF-4649-B0BF-59124855277A.png

92940D69-40A9-43B1-A763-841FE17C9095.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #7,689 of 12,011
IMG_20210428_185524_045.jpg
IMG_20210429_023125.jpg

Aria 😻 first Impression hmm wider stage, tighter bass then SF / kxxs but the highs slightly shy they definitely need some burn

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #7,690 of 12,011
Haven't heard much about the SSP since release.

Were there not many takers?

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #7,692 of 12,011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back