Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #7,666 of 11,997
I feel like it's been long enough to make this post.

A few weeks ago I posted here asking for recommendations for new iems. I was initially mainly worried about rain and looked into some cheaper iems that I could treat as more or less disposable. I ended up sticking with my Samsung Galaxy Buds+. My justification ended up being that I was probably more anxious as a placebo than actually likely to break the things with some light rain every now and then. Worst case, I could always pick up something like a pair of Tevi as a replacement if they do end up breaking, but it makes more sense to wait until/if that happens than to spend money I may not have to.

But I also picked up a pair of Blessing 2. I... initially had mixed feelings about them. On the technical end of things, they kick the crap out of just about everything I've ever listened to, including the 400i that I use at home. At their best, they're also tuned pretty close to my preferences. But at their worst, they can be bright to the point of being outright painful, clearly not usable for the longer sessions I tend toward. Their aggression out of the box seems ideal for genres like pop and edm, especially on the vocal end of things. But distorted guitars were a no-go for me, especially if they're already tuned toward the higher end.

Soundstage is a bit odd. Instrument separation is almost too good. Instead of getting a larger stage with different elements taking the forefront at different times, it's more of a set of smaller stages with a distinct space between them. Vocals are very distinctly centered and always present. Recording quirks are particularly revealing. When production is doing interesting things with their staging, it can sound tremendous. But anytime production thought it was a good idea to have entire instruments presented exclusively in a particular ear, things can get very awkward sounding very quickly. I usually notice these things with my other gear, but here the issue can be that I can't not notice them.

I wouldn't describe it as a problem with music specifically. I'm generally of the belief that there's no such thing as a 'natural' sound in music, at least not in a recording. There can be awkward sounding practices like mono instrument production. But that's still not really an issue of natural versus artificial. I wouldn't say that about movies though. I've only watched a couple of films with them so far but I would definitely say these are not the right fit for the medium so far. The smaller split staging actively harms immersion in cases where the camera is 'inside' a body and the world is sounding around them. You can relate to that in an intuitive manner, you know what it's supposed to sound like. The Blessing 2 doesn't sound like what it's supposed to sound like, even compared to much worse overall headphones.

Initially I was very worried about the whole here. I didn't really want to listen to certain types of music with them, which was a problem when you consider that I don't want to carry multiple sets of headphones on the go. Wind over 10 or so mph is a problem compared to the Galaxy Buds. While the Blessing 2 are comfortable overall, their competition here is almost perfect for my ears. And there's no way in hell I'm taking these things out in the rain. So I begun thinking of the Blessing 2 more as an alternative for my home 400i than for my portable headphones. This was a problem partly because I don't really feel like I need a replacement at this price range right now (a real 400i replacement is ideally higher end) and partly because it would only be a limited replacement due to the movie staging weirdness.

But there's good news! I took a chance and threw more money at the problem by buying a Fiio BTR5. It was really supposed to be more about regaining the track selection that I was missing more than I thought I'd miss. I had another more longshot feeling use in mind but it didn't work out, somewhat as expected. But this thing is a ****ing savior. Bluetooth when clipped to my waist has been literally perfect so far, at least as far as connection is concerned. My past experiences with Bluetooth are more what I would describe as tolerable. Track selection works perfectly and I even prefer the solid buttons to the touch control on my GBuds. Having finer control over volume is more work but probably better for my ears in the long run. By far the biggest change though has been how easy it was to EQ away the stock Blessing 2 brightness woes. Just a slight boost (2-4 db) in bass frequencies and an even slighter reduction (1-2 db) in the upper mids almost completely fixed my tuning concerns. I see now why people seem to like the Dusk version so much. Even just using the custom EQ setting at all (even if you don't change anything) does introduce a veil of sorts to the sound and I have no idea what's actually causing it. Ideally I would keep the more relaxed sound and get rid of the veil for additional clarity. If anyone knows how to deal with it, please let me know. But even with the veil the more relaxed sound is absolutely worth it. I went from feeling very mixed to being extremely happy with the added BTR5. :L3000:
If you're still in the return window, I think you just described the Dusk's sound sig...

Otherwise, you can tip-roll some of that heat out if EQ still isn't cutting it. Give the Symbio W Hybrids a shot; I think they'll help. The B2 definitely has a gap. Really sweet and articulate midrange, but the lower mids are ducked just a little too much and I think it does something funky to the staging.

Running them balanced through the BTR5 might help with some of that as well. Shouldn't have to spend more than $15-20 on a cable from Amazon these days.

Oh and they're definitely more bass-heavy than the 400i. Otherwise would agree with how you feel about their similarities.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #7,668 of 11,997
More measurements to add to the confusion:

Moondrop Aria.png
Moondrop KxxS.png
Moondrop Starfield.png

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #7,669 of 11,997
It would be great if @MOONDROP could provide us with CSD and distortion plots :wink:
Our engineers replied to me that FR graph should be enough for someone's curiosity, so I haven't got any CSD graph here, but we do have the FR and distortion plot out therefr.jpgDISTORTION.jpg.

Last edited:
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #7,670 of 11,997
Got it.

Talking to the miserybeforethemusic I came to the conclusion that I care more for tonal precision, so Aria must be better for me.

But I'm really concerned about these variations in graphics (which apparently leave "vocals behind"). The @MOONDROP should clarify whether if there was a review in Aria or if the units are really experiencing this variance (which I would consider a quality control problem -perhaps Moondrop's first time with this problem-).
Well, if we can gather all the samples that produced the graph, we may be able to find out whether there's a production error.We do hold our standard of channel mismatch within 1dB(which we consider good enough) and there's many reason for the measured FR graph to look different in different trials.(but without these samples, we cannot prove or disprove ourselves)
From my past experience with 2-3 sets of each of their product, it's hard for me to believe that they can vary that much.

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #7,672 of 11,997
I feel like it's been long enough to make this post.

A few weeks ago I posted here asking for recommendations for new iems. I was initially mainly worried about rain and looked into some cheaper iems that I could treat as more or less disposable. I ended up sticking with my Samsung Galaxy Buds+. My justification ended up being that I was probably more anxious as a placebo than actually likely to break the things with some light rain every now and then. Worst case, I could always pick up something like a pair of Tevi as a replacement if they do end up breaking, but it makes more sense to wait until/if that happens than to spend money I may not have to.

But I also picked up a pair of Blessing 2. I... initially had mixed feelings about them. On the technical end of things, they kick the crap out of just about everything I've ever listened to, including the 400i that I use at home. At their best, they're also tuned pretty close to my preferences. But at their worst, they can be bright to the point of being outright painful, clearly not usable for the longer sessions I tend toward. Their aggression out of the box seems ideal for genres like pop and edm, especially on the vocal end of things. But distorted guitars were a no-go for me, especially if they're already tuned toward the higher end.

Soundstage is a bit odd. Instrument separation is almost too good. Instead of getting a larger stage with different elements taking the forefront at different times, it's more of a set of smaller stages with a distinct space between them. Vocals are very distinctly centered and always present. Recording quirks are particularly revealing. When production is doing interesting things with their staging, it can sound tremendous. But anytime production thought it was a good idea to have entire instruments presented exclusively in a particular ear, things can get very awkward sounding very quickly. I usually notice these things with my other gear, but here the issue can be that I can't not notice them.

I wouldn't describe it as a problem with music specifically. I'm generally of the belief that there's no such thing as a 'natural' sound in music, at least not in a recording. There can be awkward sounding practices like mono instrument production. But that's still not really an issue of natural versus artificial. I wouldn't say that about movies though. I've only watched a couple of films with them so far but I would definitely say these are not the right fit for the medium so far. The smaller split staging actively harms immersion in cases where the camera is 'inside' a body and the world is sounding around them. You can relate to that in an intuitive manner, you know what it's supposed to sound like. The Blessing 2 doesn't sound like what it's supposed to sound like, even compared to much worse overall headphones.

Initially I was very worried about the whole here. I didn't really want to listen to certain types of music with them, which was a problem when you consider that I don't want to carry multiple sets of headphones on the go. Wind over 10 or so mph is a problem compared to the Galaxy Buds. While the Blessing 2 are comfortable overall, their competition here is almost perfect for my ears. And there's no way in hell I'm taking these things out in the rain. So I begun thinking of the Blessing 2 more as an alternative for my home 400i than for my portable headphones. This was a problem partly because I don't really feel like I need a replacement at this price range right now (a real 400i replacement is ideally higher end) and partly because it would only be a limited replacement due to the movie staging weirdness.

But there's good news! I took a chance and threw more money at the problem by buying a Fiio BTR5. It was really supposed to be more about regaining the track selection that I was missing more than I thought I'd miss. I had another more longshot feeling use in mind but it didn't work out, somewhat as expected. But this thing is a ****ing savior. Bluetooth when clipped to my waist has been literally perfect so far, at least as far as connection is concerned. My past experiences with Bluetooth are more what I would describe as tolerable. Track selection works perfectly and I even prefer the solid buttons to the touch control on my GBuds. Having finer control over volume is more work but probably better for my ears in the long run.

By far the biggest change though has been how easy it was to EQ away the stock Blessing 2 brightness woes. Just a slight boost (2-4 db) in bass frequencies and an even slighter reduction (1-2 db) in the upper mids almost completely fixed my tuning concerns. I see now why people seem to like the Dusk version so much. Even just using the custom EQ setting at all (even if you don't change anything) does introduce a veil of sorts to the sound and I have no idea what's actually causing it. Ideally I would keep the more relaxed sound and get rid of the veil for additional clarity. If anyone knows how to deal with it, please let me know. But even with the veil the more relaxed sound is absolutely worth it. I went from feeling very mixed to being extremely happy with the added BTR5. :L3000:
Blessing 2 is not a very easy IEM to run for sure, and the tuning is Harman natural, which is not dead flat neutral like one of those ER4. As you seemed a bit treble sensitive from the EQ settings, which a notable reviewer Crinacle also mentioned about the same point about the treble about B2, so he came up with his personal target curse which sets few decibels lower on the treble range, and made sub-200hz range bit slammer, and called it Blessing 2 Dusk model. That might have been your pick.

As you mentioned the guitar sounded off to you, it could possibly mean your personal pinna gain is around 3kHz, vs the original blessing 2 set it as 2.5k Hz. Although FiiO BTR5 only comes with 2k and 4khz EQ lever, you may adjust both by a few dBs and you may get better mid-range presentations to fit with your own HRTF. If you ever consider an upgrade, Softears RSV does handle this 3k peak just like Blessing 2 Dusk, and it does it better way.

graph (3).png

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #7,673 of 11,997
Our engineers replied to me that FR graph should be enough for someone's curiosity, so I haven't got any CSD graph here, but we do have the FR and distortion plot out therefr.jpgDISTORTION.jpg.
@MOONDROP Amazing!! Would you mind sharing the distortion graphs like the one for B2 and S8?

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #7,674 of 11,997

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #7,675 of 11,997
I'll request them later today.
Terrific! So much transparency, from a company from the Far East! I wouldn't expect this much fair transparency even from a US company!

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #7,677 of 11,997
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #7,678 of 11,997
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #7,679 of 11,997
My usual go-to reviewers are @Redcarmoose , @Dsnuts , @tgx78 , @RikudouGoku, and recently @KutuzovGambit. I "get" how they hear. I cannot really say I understand how Crin "hears".
Yea the users you mentioned all got trustworthy reviews. Crin’s ear is extremely upper-mid sensitive, plus his target curve is basically what Blessing 2 Dusk or Softears RSV does, If it’s even a bit off, I guess the tonality score decreases drastically🤯

That part I think many others wouldn’t get why he refer many notable IEM as wonky/dark/chimpanzee 😂

Anyway I find my target curve is between Crin and Antdroid, so they are good benchmark for me to tell about certain IEM (above $200 segments, I think both pay less attention to sub $200 segments, unless it’s anomaly in the range)

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #7,680 of 11,997
D060B239-43A7-4BAE-8E6F-FBE3B431B953.png

This is on the Shenzhen audio web, RSV’s distortion chart, it’s a bit rough image though. Just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back