Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #6,781 of 12,007
Hello,

Your review is very interesting, I’m a headphone guy but I’m looking for an IEM when working at office.

What I’m looking for in term of sound :
- a wide and holographic sense of space
- a natural sound (but still musical) with no obvious coloration (I’m really looking for a « lifelike » experience)
- a dynamic and punchy sound

I have / had Sennheiser HD800s, Hifiman HE6se and (in a lesser way) Hifiman Sundara : they all tick the previous requirements (you have to hear 800s thru my Amp / Dac setup).
I guess that your Focal Clear tick also all the boxes except that it has more an intimate sound.

As a last note, I already had the following IEM:
- Dunu DN2000j (1DD+2BA) : punchy and clean sound, I loved
- Dunu Falcon C (1DD) : punchy and big sound but not so clean and a bit metallic
- Earsonics S-EM6v2 (6BA) : a monotoring and neutral iem, soooooo boring, I hated
- Earsonics Velvet 2 (3BA) : artificial sound, timbre are completely off, I hated

I mainly listen to vocals, live songs, rock, acoustic : so if money is no issue would you recommend B2 or S8 ?

Thank you
I'd go B2 personally. S8 was more boring and it seemed you didn't care for previous iems that felt that way to you.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #6,782 of 12,007
I'd go B2 personally. S8 was more boring and it seemed you didn't care for previous iems that felt that way to you.

Thank you for your advice, I’ll wait for B2 dusk

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #6,785 of 12,007
Hello,

Your review is very interesting, I’m a headphone guy but I’m looking for an IEM when working at office.

What I’m looking for in term of sound :
- a wide and holographic sense of space
- a natural sound (but still musical) with no obvious coloration (I’m really looking for a « lifelike » experience)
- a dynamic and punchy sound

I have / had Sennheiser HD800s, Hifiman HE6se and (in a lesser way) Hifiman Sundara : they all tick the previous requirements (you have to hear 800s thru my Amp / Dac setup).
I guess that your Focal Clear tick also all the boxes except that it has more an intimate sound.

As a last note, I already had the following IEM:
- Dunu DN2000j (1DD+2BA) : punchy and clean sound, I loved
- Dunu Falcon C (1DD) : punchy and big sound but not so clean and a bit metallic
- Earsonics S-EM6v2 (6BA) : a monotoring and neutral iem, soooooo boring, I hated
- Earsonics Velvet 2 (3BA) : artificial sound, timbre are completely off, I hated

I mainly listen to vocals, live songs, rock, acoustic : so if money is no issue would you recommend B2 or S8 ?

Thank you
Tick all the boxes:
Unique Melody MEST.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #6,787 of 12,007
S8 flabby bass?! LOL that is not what I'd call it. I'd say its tight and refined and could use a bit of extra wallop below 50hz but flabby? no!

I feel reassured :)

I do take that back. I didn't mean flabby,

the S8 didn't have issues with attack/decay of the bass. It is tight and light on its foot.

I simply meant the BA timbre of bass.

That is a common issue with any pure BA setup and not limited to S8.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #6,788 of 12,007
You state the S8 is more boring but was there any benefits to that fact? Would you say there was only negatives?
That statement was a direct reply based on the other commentors question/preferences. I think a Laid Back presentation definitely has its value, and I think it depends on how/when/what you are listening to. For me, more laid back stuff just doesnt do it.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #6,791 of 12,007
Do Azla Sedna tips fit the Starfields? Local hifi stocks the Xelastics and the Eartips. How are those rated generally?
Fits my lipless S8 quite well so I don't think it would be a problem fitting the Starfield.
Hard silicone, very wide bore so I recommend you go down one size (from M to MS for example), increases the trebles response, makes the sound 'sharper'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back