Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #2,236 of 12,007
The EX800 and the KPE are totally different IEMs IMO.
KPE has this liquid, slightly slow sound with emphasis on sub bass and (upper) mids, EX800 has a very flat lower frequency with much more speed/dynamics, clarity and detail, but less sub-bass, mids are not as forward as on the KPE and treble is more clear and pronounced as well. At low volume a very clear presentation, at high volume it's getting a little intense in treble. The huge back vent makes it sound very open in terms of soundstage.
Look at graphs, they show some of that

I received ex800st 2 days ago, i didn't do a direct comparison with Kpe, from the first 3 hours of listening i kinda agree with this but from what i remember i feel the kpe has more clarity and slightly bigger soundstage (may be because iam using KPE with a balanced cable) ,on the other hand i have to add ex800 is warmer with a fuller sound and has more weight in the mids and vocals, and the treble can get slightly hotter than kpe but nothing extreme for me at least.

i definitely enjoy them both, i need to get some balanced cable for ex800st (if there are any recommendations) and also give it some time to burn.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #2,237 of 12,007
How do KPEs sound with Shanling M0?

Thank you :)

probably sounds good too, i got shanling M2 paired with KP

The kpe has the best bass I've ever heard in an iem. However I have the Sony ex800st coming in so... We shall see. 16mm dynamic vs 10mm.

EX800ST have better textured sub bass and mid bass, but you may need to pump it up with EQ since its not as big as KP. I dont have EX800ST but I have EX1000 and bass on EX1000 is around same quality with EX800ST (I've listened to EX800ST too, very similar to EX1000 overall, with slightly tamed down trebles at 6 and 8khz

For my personal taste, relying only on graphs, EX800ST would be too "hot" in treble and overall too brightish sounding (especially @ 6-8kHz area) - not good sound signature for my ears & gear.

they are, but not that hot, 6khz is just nice, that 8khz can be a little fatiguing at higher volume, but not that scary, really.. on contrary, EX800ST got 3khz tamed down, i found 1 of KP downside is too shouty at 3khz, but really easy to EQ down luckily, just by 2db

Which is exactly why one needs to rely on ones ears and not graphs...one would say !
The ex800ST has never or will ever be accused with being too hot in the treble! Now the Ex1000...now that is another story :)
(Are you sure you or someone hasn't confused the two?)

even EX1000 actually not that hot, like i said maybe at 8khz can be fatiguing at high volume, but really not to be scared of.

I received ex800st 2 days ago, i didn't do a direct comparison with Kpe, from the first 3 hours of listening i kinda agree with this but from what i remember i feel the kpe has more clarity and slightly bigger soundstage (may be because iam using KPE with a balanced cable) ,on the other hand i have to add ex800 is warmer with a fuller sound and has more weight in the mids and vocals, and the treble can get slightly hotter than kpe but nothing extreme for me at least.

i definitely enjoy them both, i need to get some balanced cable for ex800st (if there are any recommendations) and also give it some time to burn.

for me soundstage is bigger on EX1000 / EX800. but what i like from KP is their superb clarity, like i wrote in my review of KP, i give them applause for clarity that can match TOTL.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,239 of 12,007
DSC07026.JPG

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #2,242 of 12,007
My first quick impressions of the a8 are its very much a refined version of the KPE. Tuning is nearly identical. Which means good things to me.

Good to know. I love the tuning and wide soundstage of the KP, even compared with some IEM demos I currently am testing that include. 64 audio- N8, a6t, a12t (waiting on the a18t and trio) JH- Layla, lola, 13v2. And Empire Ears- Legend X, and Phantom. I will say the Legend X is remarkable especially in the low and sub bass region, although it lacks a bit in the mids, most likely because of the overall presence of lows. The Highs are about the same as the KP. Where the KP really pulls ahead is the overall wide soundstage and evenness between all freq, I guess thats what you get with a really well tuned dynamic driver.

I was hoping the A8 was close in tuning. How is the width and over soundstage compared to the KP? The only real negative I have with KP is the fit, although it's not too bad, the nozzle could be a tad smaller, for a tighter seal also more secure fit. (for me) And maybe just a bit more mid bass fullness. Other than that I would pick them over all but the Legend X (minus the a18t and the trio from 64 Audio, until I hear them)

Can the higher end Chi-Fi products like the Moondrop A8, Fearless S8 be ordered as a custom (non universal) IEM?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #2,244 of 12,007
Guess what I just got, EX800STs and Moondrop A8. Time to have a showdown. Oh I have the KPE too.

Looking forward to your impressions and comparisons. I am especially interested in Sony vs KPE notes as I have KPE and I am considering Sony's as I find KPE to be quite all over the place with the FR reproduction.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2,245 of 12,007
Ok I have had the the oxygen's for 2 days and I personally believe that it is definitely an upgrade over the kpe if you don't mind a slightly less exciting and more gentle approach. The kpe's midrange was really good but the 02's mids go above and beyond to being the best iem I have heard for vocals. It is an overall more fuller, detailed and smoother iem then the kpe's for me. I am happy to have both iems as I feel the tanchjim could be a bit boring to listen too after soo many hours whereas the kpe definitely sound more fun and slightly more vshaped to my ears. I am using the tanchjim upgrade cable aswell as I heard it is an improvement over the stock cable. Lastly I would like to add that the 02's funnily have a better fit for my ears compared to the kpe's infact they are overall one of the most comfortable and best fitting iems I have tried.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #2,246 of 12,007
Good to know. I love the tuning and wide soundstage of the KP, even compared with some IEM demos I currently am testing that include. 64 audio- N8, a6t, a12t (waiting on the a18t and trio) JH- Layla, lola, 13v2. And Empire Ears- Legend X, and Phantom. I will say the Legend X is remarkable especially in the low and sub bass region, although it lacks a bit in the mids, most likely because of the overall presence of lows. The Highs are about the same as the KP. Where the KP really pulls ahead is the overall wide soundstage and evenness between all freq, I guess thats what you get with a really well tuned dynamic driver.

I was hoping the A8 was close in tuning. How is the width and over soundstage compared to the KP? The only real negative I have with KP is the fit, although it's not too bad, the nozzle could be a tad smaller, for a tighter seal also more secure fit. (for me) And maybe just a bit more mid bass fullness. Other than that I would pick them over all but the Legend X (minus the a18t and the trio from 64 Audio, until I hear them)

Can the higher end Chi-Fi products like the Moondrop A8, Fearless S8 be ordered as a custom (non universal) IEM?

Cheers!
The Soundstage is deeper and wider depending on the song compared to the KPE. Its not drastic but audio queues do seem to be outside my head if I close my eyes. It's not over-the-ear big, but for an IEM, near the top (pending EX800ST). The bass is more controlled and as deep as the KPE but does sound like BA bass... beats the DM6 bass by a hair, being more extended. I'm a basshead and I know my dynamic driver bass sound. I like dynamic drivers for punch and ear punishment. BAs are great for critical listening. The A8 bass is verrry satisfying and the KPE has some of the best bass i've ever heard in anything. I prefer sub-focused lows and rolled off midbass because it interferes with low midrange and causes veiling. I'd say the A8 has a hair more midbass than the KPE. Just a hair.

Mids are glorious, better than the DM6 by a bit. Listening to male and female vocals (in some live Orchestral music). Wow is all I can say, the mens voices have a visceral rasp that has body to it and the womens voices, soaring highs, beautiful control over dynamics. This is a standout area. By far the best IEM for vocals I've heard and it is better than the KPE by a margin. Also bests the DM6 easily.

Highs. Now this is why I got the A8 and not the Fearless S8F. I do not like absurd amounts of micro detail. I don't have OCD and I prefer my sound to be more well rounded and warm. I can't compare to the S8F as I don't own them BUT I can compare to the detail monster DM6. Overall, as satisfying in microdetail but not as high pitched, so no chance of sibilance in hot treble tracks. The tuning is pretty spot on for my ears in this department. I hear a true treble region that isn't pumped unnaturally or compressed. Keep in mind I am NOT knocking Fearless. I did some soul searching and decided to go towards Moondrop's tuning.

Fit: WOW, perfect and I mean perfect. Slapped on the medium stock tips and have zero issues with a perfect seal in both ears in 10 seconds. This is a first out of EVERYTHING I own and kudos to moondrop for such a great fit. I did fight with the KPE and the DM6 for comparison.

Looks / Aesthetics. These look like jewels. I checked pretty closely and they are flawless in every detail. I may not have audio OCD but in the looks department these made me develop it. Now the Dm6 looks like a chunk of plastic comparatively. I'm being mean, I really love the DM6... it's just this A8 is next level in quality. Hand made of course.

I decided to not open the EX800ST until today. Give myself a full day of A8 glory. More to come.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #2,247 of 12,007
@redrol
Very, very nice summary and description! Thanks for that.
Looking forward to more from you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back