Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #5,866 of 11,997
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #5,868 of 11,997
Moondrop SSR arrived today. I'll listen to them on the way to work tomorrow. So far, it's good, detailed and wide. Tool, Muse, Nine Inch Nails will play very well, with popular music it may be so so...
Thank You @MOONDROP. Greetings.

SSR 00.jpg
SSR 01.jpg
SSR 02.jpg
SSR 03.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #5,869 of 11,997
I know I’ve posted it previously but I really like SSR. It has unique tuning which I find very pleasing, lively and forward with good separation. Just like with KPE, correct tips are essential. I tried ten different types before a pair of small spinfits did the trick. They sit deep in ear canal and seal there. Usually never use tips this small for any iem.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #5,870 of 11,997
Don't think the SSR and MH755 will sound the same though, the SSR has lesser bass than the MH755. Even though the mids and treble look similar on graphs, we can't just take certain frequencies in isolation, as the ears take the entire frequency spectrum when listening, so the lesser bass in the SSR will make the upper mids/treble of the SSR sound comparatively brighter. Plus graphs don't tell some subjective elements like timbre, details, imaging, instrument separation.

I don't have the SSR, but I already found the MH755 to be borderline harsh on the upper mids sometimes, and this is with the MH755 being bassier than SSR. I gave the SSR a miss as such, but am quite keen to check out the SSP (bassier variant) when it comes out.
It does look more tilted toward 3k up top with the lean bass, so that 3k sticks right out. It's going to sound fairly analytical, and probably a bit harsh for some as I found even the MH755 having a bit of harshness up top somewhere. So, I wouldn't be surprised if people say there's hardness in the sound up top.

Bad guy, bad reviews measurements look different from others with greater emphasis at the 3k. It's either his rig or the variance in the production.
unnamed.png

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #5,871 of 11,997
We got some rumors around for "we're unable to supply blessing 2 due to patent issue"
It's not true, we are just having problem acquiring knowles SWFK drivers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-172706_Carousell~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20200706-172706_Carousell~2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #5,872 of 11,997
A simple measurement would do so you guys don't have to worry, meanwhile I have decided to infiltrate the weeb world by
Moondrop SSR arrived today. I'll listen to them on the way to work tomorrow. So far, it's good, detailed and wide. Tool, Muse, Nine Inch Nails will play very well, with popular music it may be so so...
Thank You @MOONDROP. Greetings.
What the hell, you just named the exact three bands that I've comeback to rediscover recently.
Are we brothers?

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #5,875 of 11,997
That back box... is so impressive
All chi-fi needs to follow that

It's nice, but nothing new or groundbreaking; CD boxsets are sometimes packaged like that.

I mean it's not a mind altering experience, but for setting an example, it's a pretty good one.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #5,876 of 11,997
It does look more tilted toward 3k up top with the lean bass, so that 3k sticks right out. It's going to sound fairly analytical, and probably a bit harsh for some as I found even the MH755 having a bit of harshness up top somewhere. So, I wouldn't be surprised if people say there's hardness in the sound up top.

Bad guy, bad reviews measurements look different from others with greater emphasis at the 3k. It's either his rig or the variance in the production.
Probably different Y-axis scale.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #5,877 of 11,997
Probably different Y-axis scale.
It's not that. If it was that, it would skew differently. With his rig and SSR, 3k is expressed undoubtably prominent.

Perhaps his rig causes dip in the 4-6k, which causes 3k to look prominent. 7k beyond looks odd as well. Looks leveled compared to other measurements.

It's either his rig or his SSR. Only way to find out is send his SSR to Crin and compare.

Regardless of rigs. My general sense is that response would be better if it didn't peak so much at 3k, and the downward decline beyond 3k leveled down some to warm up the response.

I'm also curious how it would sound if instead of 3k being pointy, but curved? Like smoothing out that 3k pointiness. It would be similar to Ety response.

I can draw up a curve if @MOONDROP would tune an iem based on it. I would be curious how it results.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #5,879 of 11,997
It's not that. If it was that, it would skew differently. With his rig and SSR, 3k is expressed undoubtably prominent.

Perhaps his rig causes dip in the 4-6k, which causes 3k to look prominent. 7k beyond looks odd as well. Looks leveled compared to other measurements.

It's either his rig or his SSR. Only way to find out is send his SSR to Crin and compare.

Regardless of rigs. My general sense is that response would be better if it didn't peak so much at 3k, and the downward decline beyond 3k leveled down some to warm up the response.

I'm also curious how it would sound if instead of 3k being pointy, but curved? Like smoothing out that 3k pointiness. It would be similar to Ety response.

I can draw up a curve if @MOONDROP would tune an iem based on it. I would be curious how it results.

He shows IEMs in the minidsp EARS in his videos. If he is using that for measurements, be aware that the EARS is not standardized and has its own measurement quirks.

In fact, the EARS is not even designed to measure earphones, but rather full size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back