Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Oct 25, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #766 of 1,920
My new 230HAD has had a few days to settle - not 100% there, but it is sounding very good and I think it has matured enough for some A/B/C testing to have some meaning, so I rigged that up and spent a couple of hours playing around.

Here's a pic:

The digital source is an Onkyo iPod dock/transport. It has 2 outputs - Coax and Optical - so I can send one to the Vega and the other to the 230HAD. This way I can have a single source driving all 3 simultaneously (the Vega feeds both the Taurus and 430HA via XLR and RCA respectively). I volume matched as best I could and did some sighted A/B/C testing using my modded HD800 and Ether C.

Some comments:

1) I think using the modded HE6 in the 430HA vs power amp speaker tap experiment I did earlier wasn't quite valid. The deep bass impacts where the difference was most noticeable are also where the power amp draws the most power - around 12 to 15W according the power needles on the front of my Accuphase P-4200. The 430HA stops at 8W - so the biggest bass difference was probably mostly due to power limitations. So my bad on that one
frown.gif

2) Using the modded HD800 in the Taurus vs 430HA testing was a much more valid test - as both amps have plenty of juice for the HD800. I think the initial comments are still essentially correct - the 430HA delivers a more musical and smoother sound at the expense of some detail, punch and dynamics - but the sacrifice is slight. The Taurus is a more accurate amp, but is it more enjoyable, particularly on the longer listening session? That is a tough question, and I am going to need a lot of hours on both amps before I can answer that question with any confidence.

3) Using the Ether C, which is a little less resolving than the HD800 (I think) makes the difference in detail / dynamics / punch even less noticeable - but the extra smoothness and musicality of the 430HA is still there. Definitely less fatiguing and I am starting to understand a little better why Simaudio did it that way. I'm not re-submitting my 430HA fan club application form just yet, but I have an open mind.
wink_face.gif

3) The 230HAD isn't 100% settled yet, so this is a very rough assessment, but my initial impression is that it doesn't have the same funny business happening as the 430HA - it is a much more transparent device. Sounds closer to the Taurus than the 430HA to my ears (please keep in mind that burn in is NOT complete for this unit).

4) This is the kicker - the difference in SQ between the Vega + (Taurus / 430HA) combinations and the 230HAD unit is slim indeed - surprisingly so. A touch less refinement in the treble. Not quite the same depth and control in the bass. A little less air and separation (even this I'm not 100% sure about). The 230HAD gets scary close to DAC/Amp combinations that costs 3 or 4 times as much. Are we nuts for spending what we do for small increases in performance? Probably
blink.gif
Anyway, my initial impression is that the 230HAD is great value. High performance for moderate dollars (moderate dollars in the crazed audiophile world, anyway).

Hope my ramblings are useful to some folks. As always, these are my impressions using my ears and my gear and YMMV.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #767 of 1,920
Nice to hear the 430 has more reference statuses from both Tyll and Jude.

I've decided to stick with the 430 and drop the tube/dac search for now, the 430HAD is more than good enough, it's amazing.

That saved money (TotalDAC and tube amp) is getting me two things...

1) This beast

2) A six month trip/holiday around South East Asia.

With cash to spare. Madness.

Happy days.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #768 of 1,920
Are we nuts for spending what we do for small increases in performance? Probably
blink.gif
Anyway, my initial impression is that the 230HAD is great value. High performance for moderate dollars (moderate dollars in the crazed audiophile world, anyway).

Timing! That's the personal conclusion I've come to (hence the previous post). I'm not an audiophile, just a music lover. The 430 + Abyss does everything I need, and with incredible ease/convenience.

I will continue to tweak however as it's fun. I have the Regen on order, should be interesting to see if it makes a difference (or not). I've only used the 430 via its digital USB, not tried analogue input.

Has anyone compared the inputs? I'm wondering if a good USB to s/pdif could offer an incremental increase.

http://www.teddypardo.com/dacs/usb-to-spdif-converters/teddyu2s.html

TeddyPardo looks good. 

The Melodious is getting some great feedback too:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/767935/melodious-mx-u8-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

(Seems to have taken the place of the Gustard U12 which again was getting top feedback.)

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #769 of 1,920
One issue I should mention - this might just be me and my inability to configure Windows 10 properly, so take this with a grain of salt. I found issues with feeding the 230HAD from Windows 10 devices via USB. Pops and crackles in the sound. My retailer were kind enough to let me swap the unit with their demo model - same result. I swapped cables, headphones and PCs - same result. Only after I moved to a different source with the Onkyo iPod dock did the problem go away. I am using the very latest 230HAD driver from Simaudio.

Hopefully, this is either a problem with my Windows 10 setup or something that Simaudio can fix with a driver upgrade. Just be aware if planning to feed a 230HAD from a Windows 10 PC via USB.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #770 of 1,920
Guaranteed any pops and crackles have nothing to do with the 230.....

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #771 of 1,920
  Guaranteed any pops and crackles have nothing to do with the 230.....

I get no problems when feeding the 230HAD from coax or toslink. It's not the amp, it's something to do with the USB driver software and/or Windows 10.

The funny thing is that I can drive my PanAm and Vega from Windows 10 via USB with no problem, so my money is on the driver.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #772 of 1,920
Some weeks ago I tested the new LCD-4 and the old LCD-3 with a friend. We tested them on a 430 HA and 230 HAD. First we were amazed by the huge difference between LCD-4 and LCD-3. We used the LCD-4 in 430 and LCD-3 in the 230. We could not understand that the difference could be so huge, so we swapped the headphones and got the opposite result. I'm not sure if there were something very wrong with the 230 unit we tested or if the difference really is that huge, but for us the difference between them seemed like night and day. The 230 felt dead and boring, while the 430 had good details with an amazing "feel" to the music.

Next week i might go back to the shop and retest these amps. In my head something had to be wrong with either the setup of the 230 or the 230 itself.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #773 of 1,920
Has anyone compared the 430's inputs (both burned in)? I've only used USB. I wonder if a top USB to S/PDIF (PUC Lite, OR5 or Hydra-Z) would add to the sound.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #774 of 1,920

I get no problems when feeding the 230HAD from coax or toslink. It's not the amp, it's something to do with the USB driver software and/or Windows 10.

The funny thing is that I can drive my PanAm and Vega from Windows 10 via USB with no problem, so my money is on the driver.

I think you are correct that it does not seem to be a hardware issue with the 230HAD. It seems to be a Windows 10 USB thing.

My 230HAD only makes a very faint random ticking sound - no pops or crackles here - when accessing internet radio sites. Never from locally stored files. Also, my 430HAD does not exhibit this behavior at all and they use the same D3 series USB driver.

I spoke with Simaudio about this a month or so ago and again today. They are looking into it. I'll post again when I hear back from Simaudio.

TonyNewman, I would definitely put some more time on the 230HAD before comparing it to the 430HAD or any other DAC/headphone amp. The 230HAD starts out very dynamic and neutral and has a very low noise floor but it does flesh out a bit as time accumulates. This may be why you think it sounds closer to the Auralic - a bit more high frequency sparkle and very neutral. The 230HAD is extremely good for the price. It will bloom a bit more in the bass as it fully burns in and the sound will become more cohesive and smooth out a bit up top. I find the 430HAD to be just better in every way - perhaps not 3 times better but better nonetheless. YMMV.  

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #775 of 1,920
TonyNewman, I would definitely put some more time on the 230HAD before comparing it to the 430HAD or any other DAC/headphone amp. The 230HAD starts out very dynamic and neutral and has a very low noise floor but it does flesh out a bit as time accumulates. This may be why you think it sounds closer to the Auralic - a bit more high frequency sparkle and very neutral. The 230HAD is extremely good for the price. It will bloom a bit more in the bass as it fully burns in and the sound will become more cohesive and smooth out a bit up top. I find the 430HAD to be just better in every way - perhaps not 3 times better but better nonetheless. YMMV.  

430HA (I don't have a 430HAD) does more, for sure, as does the Taurus Mk2 (both fed from my Vega) - but the 230HAD gets surprisingly close to these, I think. It's that last 5% or 10% that is the difference. 230HAD does most of what the big boys are doing to my ears. A great little unit.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #776 of 1,920

430HA (I don't have a 430HAD) does more, for sure, as does the Taurus Mk2 (both fed from my Vega) - but the 230HAD gets surprisingly close to these, I think. It's that last 5% or 10% that is the difference. 230HAD does most of what the big boys are doing to my ears. A great little unit.

I very much agree. The performance of the 230HAD gets pretty close to some of the best out there at a much more reasonable price. The rule of diminishing returns certainly applies here.

I also think, as I've read in this thread I believe, that the 430HAD as opposed to the 430HA brings a certain synergy that outboard DACs may not. The two halves of the whole seem to balance with each other. I find the ESS DACs to have a certain sound and the slight warmth of the 430HA amp really blends nicely to my ear allowing great detail but still with some of that organic body and warmth of analog sound. I have also tried my 280D DAC with the 430HAD using an analog input and I hear much the same flavor just at a slightly higher level. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #777 of 1,920
I want to share my thoughts on upgrading the power cord on the 430. I have been using the stock power cord for the last 11 months. I just bought a used nordost blue heaven power cord. It has made a nice upgrade over the stock power cord. I can more easily hear what each individual instrument is playing - better separation. There also has been a slight increase in dynamics. I have been listening to the sound track of broadway production of kinky boots (a great soundtrack). I can hear the snap of the drum stick hitting the skin of the drums clearer with more energy. The bass has more weight and body. The balance and tonality of the 430 remains the same ie it is not brighter or darker.  This is my opinion, You will have to try it yourself and form your own opinion

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #779 of 1,920
  One issue I should mention - this might just be me and my inability to configure Windows 10 properly, so take this with a grain of salt. I found issues with feeding the 230HAD from Windows 10 devices via USB. Pops and crackles in the sound. My retailer were kind enough to let me swap the unit with their demo model - same result. I swapped cables, headphones and PCs - same result. Only after I moved to a different source with the Onkyo iPod dock did the problem go away. I am using the very latest 230HAD driver from Simaudio.

Hopefully, this is either a problem with my Windows 10 setup or something that Simaudio can fix with a driver upgrade. Just be aware if planning to feed a 230HAD from a Windows 10 PC via USB.

i switched over to windows 10 and heard clicks, pops, as well as occasional static and drop outs when using USB connected to my DAC. i did not have this issue with windows 7. i spent a lot of time searching and reading, all resulting in numerous tweaks and adjustments to my computer as well as audio settings. nothing helped. i switched back to windows 7. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #780 of 1,920
I just took delivery of the 230HAD on Friday.  Overall it is an amazing unit and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am afraid I have also noticed the slight clicking noises, but only when using Tidal or the Apple HQ streaming service.  When I play music from local storage using JRiver everything sounds perfect.  Don't get me wrong, it still sounds amazing when I listen to streaming music - you just have to put up with slight clicking/popping sounds.  It is not overwhelming, but just irritating enough to keep you from being fully immersed in the listening experience.

I would rather not have to revert back to an earlier version of Windows to resolve the issue.  I will be very interested to see if Simaudio is able to resolve it with a driver update.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back