Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Oct 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #751 of 1,920
  I am at CanJam at RMAF now and I had a long talk with Joe from Abyss. They have a demo room with the abyss paired with:

Liquid Gold
Woo WA234's using Tat 300 B's and 274's (That's $4k in tubes!)
Wells HeadTrip
Viva Egoista
and the Moon 430HAD

For Solid State at their shop the Moon is the reference unit.  I thought that was interesting.

Very, that's some serious competition.

How'd love to A/B the VIVA and 234 :¬) Enjoy!

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #752 of 1,920
It was an impressive room. I spent quite a bit of time there.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #753 of 1,920
Since many many months with my moon neo i am very happy to have this amp,and i can not await how this amp sounds with the upcoming HP 'Stratosphere'

REGRADS NOMAX

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #754 of 1,920
Oct 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #755 of 1,920
Oct 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #758 of 1,920
For anyone debating whether they should get the internal DAC along with the 430HA, unless you have a great DAC you love, get the DAC board. I just spent a lot of time with the new Schiit Gungnir Multibit hooked up to the 430HA with top-tier balanced silver interconnects. I read so much about how R2Rs crush Delta Sigmas and that the Neo DAC is capable but not great. So I thought I had to try and upgrade the DAC. I chose the Gungnir not because of price, but because I didn't want to add too much to the Neo's one-box form factor. The Gungnir may not quite be the Yggdrasil, but it's a serious bit of kit, and my audiophilleo definitely improved upon its USB input. To be fair, it's not fully burned in, but I think you get a good idea in the first 24 hours what a piece of gear is about. It's an excellent DAC, but unless it's going to transform radically, I very much prefer the Neo's DAC with the amp.

Both DACs produce a great sense of soundstage and space. The Gungnir's R2R provides a darker more defined and solid image, which some will prefer. However, the Neo DAC's implementation of the Delta Sigma approach is pleasingly brighter, clearer, and more transparent. At the same time, like the amp section, it has clarity without sounding at all harsh. There is a full and refined delicacy to the sound which some may find too insubstantial and euphonic, but it suits my tastes. I've now tried both sections independently, and I think the engineers at Simaudio did a great job of matching the DAC to synergize with the amp. I think you have to be a fan of lush ethereal spacious sound, but if you are, the DAC option should not be considered an economic compromise.

I have to re-emphasize that I'm using the audiophilleo which does quite a bit to smooth out the D-S and otherwise improve the DAC across the board. With that in mind, I have to say the amp and DAC together, as a whole, produce something special. They both share a common finely-tuned sonic signature which Bob Katz dismissed as "fake-tubey." To my ears, it is the audio unicorn of clear-warmth, transparent-fullness, you know, perfection. To wax poetic, to me, the combined end result gets beyond holographic to hallucinogenic (but legal). 

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #759 of 1,920
You'll have to spend over $1.5k to beat the internal DAC in a way that's worth all the extra cables and hardware. Get the McIntosh D150 if you want to beat the internal DAC, but it'll cost you $2500.

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #760 of 1,920
I don't mind spending the money, the Gungnir was more about not wanting to tip over my nightstand.

But, in the process, I learned more about synergy and my own tastes. The resurgence of R2R popularity made a lot of sense to me on paper, but all of this made me think I'd personally be better off moving toward an Auralic Vega. 

The problem though for me, is that right now, though I'm willing to upgrade gear, oddly, I'm not wiling to upgrade my nightstand!

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #761 of 1,920
  For anyone debating whether they should get the internal DAC along with the 430HA, unless you have a great DAC you love, get the DAC board. I just spent a lot of time with the new Schiit Gungnir Multibit hooked up to the 430HA with top-tier balanced silver interconnects. I read so much about how R2Rs crush Delta Sigmas and that the Neo DAC is capable but not great. So I thought I had to try and upgrade the DAC. I chose the Gungnir not because of price, but because I didn't want to add too much to the Neo's one-box form factor. The Gungnir may not quite be the Yggdrasil, but it's a serious bit of kit, and my audiophilleo definitely improved upon its USB input. To be fair, it's not fully burned in, but I think you get a good idea in the first 24 hours what a piece of gear is about. It's an excellent DAC, but unless it's going to transform radically, I very much prefer the Neo's DAC with the amp.

Both DACs produce a great sense of soundstage and space. The Gungnir's R2R provides a darker more defined and solid image, which some will prefer. However, the Neo DAC's implementation of the Delta Sigma approach is pleasingly brighter, clearer, and more transparent. At the same time, like the amp section, it has clarity without sounding at all harsh. There is a full and refined delicacy to the sound which some may find too insubstantial and euphonic, but it suits my tastes. I've now tried both sections independently, and I think the engineers at Simaudio did a great job of matching the DAC to synergize with the amp. I think you have to be a fan of lush ethereal spacious sound, but if you are, the DAC option should not be considered an economic compromise.

I have to re-emphasize that I'm using the audiophilleo which does quite a bit to smooth out the D-S and otherwise improve the DAC across the board. With that in mind, I have to say the amp and DAC together, as a whole, produce something special. They both share a common finely-tuned sonic signature which Bob Katz dismissed as "fake-tubey." To my ears, it is the audio unicorn of clear-warmth, transparent-fullness, you know, perfection. To wax poetic, to me, the combined end result gets beyond holographic to hallucinogenic (but legal). 

My sentiments exactly (I use the iFi iUSB and Gemini). I've been wondering about giving the AP+power or OffRamp 5 a pop with it.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #762 of 1,920

Great post I think you are on to some important matching effects. If we assume that the amp section is in fact a bit relaxed and rich sounded the character of a good D-S DAC may suite it perfect.

I have own an AP2 + PP and even if I don’t think it will smooth the treble per se, I understand what you mean. The AP + PP will probably more isolate the DAC galvanic from jitter and pollutions coming from the computer.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #763 of 1,920

I make similar comments in my review of the 430HAD. The DAC is solid.

http://headphone.guru/moon-neo-series-430-had-reference-headphone-amplifier-with-optional-dsd32-bit-pcm-dac/

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #764 of 1,920
Just FYI: Jude, most likely, along with Tyll, is naming the 430HA as his solid-state amp of choice.

"Being added to the Guide for the Fall 2015 update in November is the Simaudio Moon Neo 430HA, wherein I will state that it is my current overall favorite desktop solid state headphone amplifier (unless something else comes around before then to oust it)."

(from the Shure KSE1500 thread) 

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #765 of 1,920
  Just FYI: Jude, most likely, along with Tyll, is naming the 430HA as his solid-state amp of choice.

"Being added to the Guide for the Fall 2015 update in November is the Simaudio Moon Neo 430HA, wherein I will state that it is my current overall favorite desktop solid state headphone amplifier (unless something else comes around before then to oust it)."

(from the Shure KSE1500 thread) 

I saw that too. Nice!

I sure love mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back