Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #331 of 1,920

The bloody thing weighs 32KG's, try moving that around with 65 KG's of Woo mono blocks. The beauty of the Moon is its an all in one that doesn't have tubes, ideal for a SEMI portable solution.

AND - I have enough problems with my partner constantly occupying my system, she cannot be trusted with appliances. That's all the rationale I need thank you very much.

Well, ok - gee whiz, don't kill me...I was just saying..

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #332 of 1,920
  @ Yoga,

Agree with your comments re the Hugo, there was a time not so long ago when we would have been flamed out of existence for saying that, but I owned it, found I stopped listening to music and sold it after 3 months.

I have taken the plunge and ordered the Moon with built in DAC, what USB cable and source are you using?

Simon, I am really interested in your thoughts after you get some burn in time with the 430. It really starts to bloom between 150 and 200 hours. It finally settled out at around 300. Since then it has been a joy.

popcorn.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #333 of 1,920
  Simon, I am really interested in your thoughts after you get some burn in time with the 430. It really starts to bloom between 150 and 200 hours. It finally settled out at around 300. Since then it has been a joy.

popcorn.gif

No worries, will do, I am not going to set it up with fancy cables or power - I hope I don't end up with egg on my face again but I doubt its a 234 killer and anyway that's not what I want it for. SecretIy I really like the Nagra HD, always had a longing to own some Nagra gear, its Audio Jewellery, but.

A - its expensive 
B - doubt it would drive the Abyss
C - can't run balanced phones

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #334 of 1,920

popcorn.gif

No worries, will do, I am not going to set it up with fancy cables or power - I hope I don't end up with egg on my face again but I doubt its a 234 killer and anyway that's not what I want it for. SecretIy I really like the Nagra HD, always had a longing to own some Nagra gear, its Audio Jewellery, but.

A - its expensive 
B - doubt it would drive the Abyss
C - can't run balanced phones

The 430 will have no trouble with the Abyss...

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #335 of 1,920

popcorn.gif

Useful to know, thanks.

No worries, will do, I am not going to set it up with fancy cables or power - I hope I don't end up with egg on my face again but I doubt its a 234 killer and anyway that's not what I want it for. 

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts regarding the two setups.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #336 of 1,920

popcorn.gif

Indeed, it took a lot of burn in. I felt that it started to bloom at 150+h as well.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #340 of 1,920
I'm keen to purchase either the Cavalli Liquid Gold or the Neo.
There is no Cavalli dealer in my country so cannot listen to it. Heard and read many positive reviews and threads on the Liquid Gold.

How is the Liquid Gold compared to the Neo? 

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #341 of 1,920
I've not heard the LAu, but I've spoken quite extensively to people who have (it was top of my list for a while). The general consensus is/was; great power, jack of many, master of none.

It did everything very well, but didn't at excel at anything in particular. That maybe perfect for you, or not, depending on the cans/DAC you plan to match it with. My own experience with the Neo is limited to using the onboard DAC and a Lampi Big 7.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #342 of 1,920
  I'm keen to purchase either the Cavalli Liquid Gold or the Neo.
There is no Cavalli dealer in my country so cannot listen to it. Heard and read many positive reviews and threads on the Liquid Gold.

How is the Liquid Gold compared to the Neo? 

Different mountain tops. The LAu is a superb top level amp. It has power to spare even for the HE-6's. when paired with the right DAC (which often depends on the HP's you are using) it will give a wonderful presentation. Alex Cavalli design's his amps to sound like "Nothing" I feel he has achieved this with the Gold. 

Compared to the Neo 430HA I think the LAu has slightly more low end. The 430 has midrange to die for.  Both can handle any dynamic or planer headphone.

Functionally, the 430 can also be a pre-amp. The LAu is strictly an amp. I have found the 430 to be a superb pre-amp. It even has the ground for a turn table. 

Either are TOTL headphone amps. Similarly priced, the LAu is $3950 USD while the 430 is $3500 + $800 if you select the internal DAC. 

How do you want  to win? Either will fill the bill....

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #343 of 1,920
I currently have an auralic vega but I am hearing great things about the moon with the dac option, is it worth to have that included? what are your thoughts? i was hoping to pair the moon with the lcd3 and abyss 

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #344 of 1,920
  I currently have an auralic vega but I am hearing great things about the moon with the dac option, is it worth to have that included? what are your thoughts? i was hoping to pair the moon with the lcd3 and abyss 

I skipped the in-built DAC because I already have an Auralic Vega. I know the in-built DAC has a great reputation, but I find it hard to imagine it could beat the Vega (but I never heard both in A/B testing, so I can't say for sure).

What I do know is that the 430HA pairs wonderfully well with the Vega. The sound is warm yet detailed and a delight with the modded HE6 and HD800.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #345 of 1,920

I'd love to compare the 430HA + Vega to the 430HAD.

I will do that, along with the Yggdrasil, but not for a couple of months at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back