Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #1,472 of 1,920
I would think their might be some improvement in future firmware revisions if we are speaking about the DAC section but if you have the amp only i highly doubt it would make much of a difference

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,473 of 1,920
  I would think their might be some improvement in future firmware revisions if we are speaking about the DAC section but if you have the amp only i highly doubt it would make much of a difference

I second that. I was an early purchaser and I also have 1.8 for firmware. So far nothing within double the price has challenged it for a solid state reference.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,474 of 1,920
  I second that. I was an early purchaser and I also have 1.8 for firmware. So far nothing within double the price has challenged it for a solid state reference.

do you use its internal dac, or feed it from the PS Audio?

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,475 of 1,920

do you use its internal dac, or feed it from the PS Audio?

I trade off for fun. The DAC is a very good one. It is basically the same as the 280D while sharing the 230HA's power supply

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,477 of 1,920

I trade off for fun. The DAC is a very good one. It is basically the same as the 280D while sharing the 230HA's power supply

Hopefully soon I can get everything connected up properly and blow the socks off the neighbours!

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #1,478 of 1,920
Been making my way through this thread and I have a question for all Utopia users running this amp

Are you connecting via Single Ended or Balanced (assuming you upgraded the cable)?

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,479 of 1,920
Been making my way through this thread and I have a question for all Utopia users running this amp

Are you connecting via Single Ended or Balanced (assuming you upgraded the cable)?

i run a 4-pin XLR balanced Moon Audio Black Dragon between my Neo 430 and my Utopia.

is that all you wanted to know?

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,480 of 1,920
Well - now that you ask!

I have been thinking about this amp.  Back here after a 14 year absence and now running a pair of Utopia's with a Mojo - soon to be replaced with a Hugo2
My original idea was to keep the headphone system completely separate from my rather large 2 channel system however now I am thinking of adding something like the Moon to my two channel.
I am looking at the amp only version as sources are TOTL - Linn LP12 and Klimax DS for digital.  The Mojo/Hugo2 only allows access to my digital collection - the addition of a Neo would allow me to access my vinyl (of which there is a lot of)

The SE/Balanced question refers to a set of Kimber Axios I am ordering.  My original thought was to have them terminated in SE 1/4" - as Mojo/Hugo only allow for that connection.  If I go through with something like a Neo I would think that I might be better off ordering the Axios termination as balanced XLR and buy a XLR/1/4" pigtail for use with the Hugo2.

Thus the reason for my question of how people were running Utopia's with this amp - SE or Balanced

Any additional comments highly appreciated

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,481 of 1,920
  Well - now that you ask!

I have been thinking about this amp.  Back here after a 14 year absence and now running a pair of Utopia's with a Mojo - soon to be replaced with a Hugo2
My original idea was to keep the headphone system completely separate from my rather large 2 channel system however now I am thinking of adding something like the Moon to my two channel.
I am looking at the amp only version as sources are TOTL - Linn LP12 and Klimax DS for digital.  The Mojo/Hugo2 only allows access to my digital collection - the addition of a Neo would allow me to access my vinyl (of which there is a lot of)

The SE/Balanced question refers to a set of Kimber Axios I am ordering.  My original thought was to have them terminated in SE 1/4" - as Mojo/Hugo only allow for that connection.  If I go through with something like a Neo I would think that I might be better off ordering the Axios termination as balanced XLR and buy a XLR/1/4" pigtail for use with the Hugo2.

Thus the reason for my question of how people were running Utopia's with this amp - SE or Balanced

Any additional comments highly appreciated

I use a Nordost Heimdall 2 HP cable running in balanced. I have tried it SE with the 6.5mm extension plug that comes with the HP cable (the cable also comes bundled with a 3.5 mm single plug extension) and there was a minor but noticeable decline in articulation,  imagining and 'musical thereness' compared to using just the XLR plug in balanced mode.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,482 of 1,920
Thank you for the feedback
I assume you like your 430HA

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #1,483 of 1,920

If an owner of the superior HE-1000v2 may interject, I am SE currently using stock cable. An ALO Audio Reference 16 I had for HE-500s is going to be re-terminated and so I will then be balanced 2 x 3pin XLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back