Montreal Meet at the SSI 2011
Mar 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 84
I will bring my Audiophileo 2 ... it's fits in my pocket if someone interested to put side to side with hiface, audio-gd...

It's my new reference usb2spdif. No need coax cable, not even sure if 15 foots usb extention affect the sound at all. Not affected with PC, usb port (if yes, it's very very small).

Kick-ass device.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #32 of 84
Okay, here is the list of the people who said they were coming as of now:

Myself
pompon ?
cwxa99
bikeboy999 ?
Presently42
Killercrush
Petyot ?
JSOriginal
sphynxz
LostChild1
VT Skier
Khanate

Now that's a sweet crowd for sure! I'll start compiling gear next week. 

Today, I had a fantastic meeting with Michel Plante, and here are some of the highlights of the day:

- The room we will be in is the same as last year, or one of comparable size. It shouldn't have the big boxes at the back so we'll have a MASSIVE amount of space.

- It is still free! On the SSI website this year, this room is rented for 8000$ (fontaine D, http://www.salonsonimage.com/pdf/exposants/SSI_Tarifs_2011.pdf)!!

- We should be alone in the room, unlike last year with the Planet of Sound guys.

- Michel was very enthousiastic about having us at the meet, to say the least. He told me one of his goals in the last few years was to promote headphones in the hifi industry and that he wanted us to become an official part of the meet. So, this year, we will be included in the catalogue and he will have us made a head-fi banner to clearly identify our room.

- In order to attract more attention to the headphone community, he said he'd also contact some headphone / headphone amps manufacturers to get some demos for the salons and have us handle them in the head-fi room.

- Also, he asked me if any of us would be ready to give a conference about the headphone world (give an insight about the different trends in a general/informative way) in the conference events! http://www.salonsonimage.com/Evenements/formations.html Look at the last item. I told him I could gladly give it, but if someone is absolutely interested in doing it I shall oblige... maybe Julien?

-  I told him an interesting idea would be to have a big, free central space and to have the rigs spread on the sides with nice, comfortable seating.That is to be confirmed, but he then told me he'd try to find us some sofas (!!!). I'll bring at least one rack, but if people can bring more we could have the most awesome room at the salon!

- This year, there will be a big emphasis on digital music at the salon, so every portable or computer-based rig will be much-appreciated and should gather us a lot of attention. Small hint here : the reference CD this year will be..... on a usb key! The bottom line: bring up those portable setups!

So far, these are VERY encouraging news. I'll keep in touch with Michel and Jude and will keep you guys posted.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 84
Sounds AMAZING! I absolutely can't wait. I'll see if I can't get myself a lift. If I can, I should be able to bring the WooAudio WA6 (with or without Sophia Princess), and my HD800s.

I can bring my pre-amp, but as I won't be bringing my vinyl rig, I Don't see it being of much use, unless someone has expressed interest in hearing it (Cambridge Audio 640P)

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #34 of 84
I will have my own phono preamp (Yaqin ms22b, and I have some NOS RCA 12ax7 coming), and I also have a cambridge 540p at home but you can bring our 640p to compare it to the Yaqin. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #35 of 84
I will have my own phono preamp (Yaqin ms22b, and I have some NOS RCA 12ax7 coming), and I also have a cambridge 540p at home but you can bring our 640p to compare it to the Yaqin. 

Sure thing. At least with the 640p, I can bring it whether or not I get a lift, since it's so small. :D

Also, I'm not so sure how sharing custom molded headphones would go, but I'll have my Unique Melody re-molds + extra driver'ed Triple Fi's with me (Since I always have them with me) and would be interested in hearing some portable amps, if anyone has! :D

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #36 of 84

Quote:
- Michel was very enthousiastic about having us at the meet, to say the least. He told me one of his goals in the last few years was to promote headphones in the hifi industry and that he wanted us to become an official part of the meet. So, this year, we will be included in the catalogue and he will have us made a head-fi banner to clearly identify our room.

- In order to attract more attention to the headphone community, he said he'd also contact some headphone / headphone amps manufacturers to get some demos for the salons and have us handle them in the head-fi room.

Not sure to understand how this meet is supposed to work...

Do I understand correctly that the room will be open to regular visitors ? Are those visitors supposed to be able to try the material that will be in the room ? if I bring my O2/717 combo, am I supposed to let anyone that enter the room try it ?

Thanks

Pierre

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #38 of 84
Pierre, that is indeed how an open show works. However, if you intend to only let other headfiers try the O2 combo, you may very well do so. Just tell everyone else that it is not functionnal / out of order / in repair / not working right now / blablabla. Last year though we didn't have any problems with people mishandling gear. Most of the people that attend the SSI are hi-fi enthousiasts and will gladly oblige if you tell them to handle things correctly. 

I'd love to hear an O2 rig again 
o2smile.gif
, especially with the vinyl stuff I'll bring.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #40 of 84
Should I register through SSI or will be able to attend as exhibitors without paying the registration fee?  I will probably come up on Friday as I want to listen to a few speakers when there aren't as many people around.  I'm thinking about upgrading my system.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #42 of 84
Okay, here's how it goes:

We will recieve a special number for accreditations so we can have them for free. However, the amount of accreditations is limited and Michel asked me how many we were so he can fix a number.

Amongst the people who are coming, I need a quick response: will you commit to stay in the room for a while and handle visitors? We need people in the room at all times (at least 1, but 2-3 would be perfect) so if you intend to be there more than, lets say, half a day, I think you should chime in for your badges.

Please, I need a quick response from you guys to get a rough estimate for the number of badges.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #44 of 84
I don't think I'll be in the room as much as I was last year, just because I want to spend some time with the Sonus Faber speakers.  So maybe a couple of hours.

Unless someone brings a pair of Ultrasone Edition 8s -- then I'll be in the room all day.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #45 of 84
I can be there on Saturday. What do you mean to handle visitors because I'm not confident with my English (Even worse, I don't speak French).

Thanks

Quote:
Okay, here's how it goes:

We will recieve a special number for accreditations so we can have them for free. However, the amount of accreditations is limited and Michel asked me how many we were so he can fix a number.

Amongst the people who are coming, I need a quick response: will you commit to stay in the room for a while and handle visitors? We need people in the room at all times (at least 1, but 2-3 would be perfect) so if you intend to be there more than, lets say, half a day, I think you should chime in for your badges.

Please, I need a quick response from you guys to get a rough estimate for the number of badges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back