Montréal incoming 2012 Head-Fi meet!: *" Saturday 25th of August "* (status: done!)
Aug 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #61 of 180
that's rather unfortunate! is there any chance that if all 10 places are taken, that one can at least visit and get to listen to some of it? I am/was really looking forward to some of the headphones and other gear, that is listed, since I am considering a few of them. and I've been selling off most of my gear... 
redface.gif

dleblanc: Do you still have the Bifrost by the way? I'm considering buying one, would be really cool if I could listen to it before a purchase.

anyhow, I think I would rather confirm when it's a bit more clear on where and when and how many allowed, as my gear is really nothing impressive...
AMB Gamma2, Audio Technica ATH-AD900, Audio Technica ATH-CK100, and hopefully another DIY amp while I wait for the M^3 parts...
(Possibly an AMB M^3 with Sigma11, if I can get my parts in time!!! getting really impatient)

I really only have one friend here with decent audio gear, PretentiousFood here on Head-Fi. who also is interested in going.
will be checking the thread regularly and hope for positive updates!

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #62 of 180
Quote:
that's rather unfortunate! is there any chance that if all 10 places are taken, that one can at least visit and get to listen to some of it? I am/was really looking forward to some of the headphones and other gear, that is listed, since I am considering a few of them. and I've been selling off most of my gear... 
redface.gif

dleblanc: Do you still have the Bifrost by the way? I'm considering buying one, would be really cool if I could listen to it before a purchase.

Hey munch, you're gladly invited if you can confirm in advance. And yes I still have the bifrost, but I might be selling it since I'll be upgrading. If you're interested in a good price, I can work something out for you in the upcoming weeks. I still need it until I get the gungnir though.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #63 of 180
Hey guys!

Glad to see that a meeting is going to happen, and there seems to be quite a few new faces in the mix as well... Unfortunately, I will be away from august 21st until september 2nd so I won't be able to attend unless the meet happens on august 18th or 19th, athough if it moves to those dates I would bring:

Audeze LCD2
Einar sound vc-01i
ASL Twinhead (on request if we need more amplifiers)
Technics sl1200 + cambridge 540p (on request if we need more sources)

Sorry, I will NOT bring my awesome technics SP-10 as it weights more than 150 pounds.

Also, just my 2 cents : it's always better to have more people with few gear then having only 4-5 people with lots of gear unless there are plenty of setups to make. The only time I had a meet with fewer people that was great was when we had a small get-together at Larryminator's place a few years back. We had at least 3 fully working setups, and he had a pair of quad esl57s to please us as well. Sharing new experiences with people is a great part of a good head-fi meet.

What worked well the last times was to rent a room in a cegep or university, usually costs less than 100$ and you can split it between attendies, although last time about half the people bailed out so I had to pay alot on my own for the room. If you attempt to rent a room, make sure that you have at least a decent amount of people coming FOR SURE (at least 8-10) to make it worth the expense.

If you really plan on having a meet at someone's place, I shall advice you to take one room and make it a listen-only room, with one or two working setups that can be swapped easily, for example having all furniture pushed aside except one table so hooking/unhooking things is easy. Usually that makes listening alot better and you can have alot of people chatting while the others have a good listening experience.

Hope you guys have a great time there, and if it gets moved to the weekend before let me know for sure!

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #64 of 180
Hey, renting a room is a pretty solid idea. I could probably get a classroom or two at Brebeuf (near Cote-Des-Neiges station) for not too much. They typically have desks and power outlets and a projector. I'll call on Monday and get a quote. I'll bring an ATH-ESW9 and ATH-A900X and UM Mage and (local!) IEMs as well as a project amp or two.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #65 of 180
Well, this meet started as a get together, with only a couple of persons interested. Seeing how the last Montreal meet went, we decided to keep it low profile. Planning to split the rent of a room between a dozen people, but in the end having to split it between two people, can really ruin the experience. Especially since most of us are students on tight budgets.

If I remember correctly, a dozen people confirmed their presence to the last meet but never showed up. I honestly think that was a lack of respect to the organizers, which lost all hope to the next meets. I would hate to see this experience repeat itself, and this is why we wanted to keep the event small. We don't even have a dedicated meet organizer!

And so what happened is a bunch of people showed interests, a couple alternative locations were presented, and now it's a mess. We can't decide on a location, because we can't decide on a date, because we can't know for sure who will show up and who won't. The main problem here is that most of you guys have constraints on the date: some can't the the 25th, some can't the 26th, some can't before the 25th, some can't after the 26th... So either way, it looks like it's impossible that all of us can show up at any given date. And then there's the problem of people who will bail out at the last moment, which, given the experience, has to be taken into account. This means there won't be a dozen people present, no matter how hard we try.

I think having to rent a room at this point is just shooting ourselves in the foot. We don't have the time nor the attendees for it. 

I say we keep it small, and just find a location/date combo that will bring together as many Head-fiers as possible. If this is a success, then we can start planning a bigger meet in a few months, like during the winter break.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #66 of 180
I can for sure do 25th, possibly 18th. but not 19th. not too sure about 26th.
let's try to decide on a date, and then we can see what PretentiousFood gets as an answer for renting a room - might be dirt cheap.

date is the most important part right now I believe?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #67 of 180
It seems like we actually have quite a few viable room options ranging from free to inexpensive between Lappy's room, Jdhmtl's office and my place. I'm not sure I'd say it's a conscious decision to keep it low profile with someone PMing 25 Montreal Head-Fiers. :)

The problem with keeping it small is that none of us want to exclude anyone. More people is more fun! I was hoping to bring two non-Head-Fi friends but I wouldn't invite them if it's a small meet. If we need to pick just one date for a big meet, think it would be easier if we knew who could come on the 25th and who could come on the 26th. The poll has 5 votes for each, but that doesn't seem representative of the current discussion, with the number of people who joined the discussion on the last two pages.

If we do have the attendees to justify the room, I personally have the time to sort out the logistics. :) As a student I've reserved rooms there for free. I no longer study there so I'm guessing there might be a fee but there might not be one at all. Either way, I wouldn't reserve it if I weren't comfortable paying for it in full if ever everyone were to bail. I'm a student too and can totally appreciate that we're on a budget! I have no intention of renting something we can't afford and won't make anyone pay anything if we have a cheaper option.

The most productive thing to do at this point, as you and Munchzilla pointed out, would be to set a date. Starting a third thread seems premature, so I've started a Google form. Please reply here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFIyMkpDaTI0ZWQwdXhHR2owenRzUUE6MQ

This logs who responds to the form so doubles as a preliminary confirmation. I think we'll get more relevant responses since you have to choose between the 25th, 26th, or both. I also ask for your e-mail that way I can contact you outside the forums once the final details are settled. I promise I won't do anything silly with your e-mail but if you really really don't want to get updates by e-mail you could just write "use PM" instead. This is just so we can get in touch with the people who might have forgotten about the thread - there seem to be a few back on page 1. If I rent a room we could easily fit 30 or so people so I also ask if you'd like to bring along any non Head-Fi friends. They obviously can't come if it goes over our max headcount. I'll forward the replies to whoever ends up hosting if it isn't me!

It's my first Head-Fi meet so I'm not really sure how's the best way to go about organizing it, but I think this might be a bit less messy than the current thread. If someone else wants to take over that's fine by me! :)

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #68 of 180
Quote:
It seems like we actually have quite a few viable room options ranging from free to inexpensive between Lappy's room, Jdhmtl's office and my place. I'm not sure I'd say it's a conscious decision to keep it low profile with someone PMing 25 Montreal Head-Fiers. :)

I still think Lappy's conference room is our best bet. And yes advertising it to as many people might have been paradoxal...

The problem with keeping it small is that none of us want to exclude anyone. More people is more fun! I was hoping to bring two non-Head-Fi friends but I wouldn't invite them if it's a small meet. 

Sure, but as stated, this is not an expos. I'm all for "more people is more fun", but we're bringing expensive, precious (DIY, discontinued...) and fragile items to the meet. The people you invite have to be conscious of this and show respect. Think of it like visiting an art gallery, with the privilege of interacting with the items. See this as a good example, and this as a bad one.

If we need to pick just one date for a big meet, think it would be easier if we knew who could come on the 25th and who could come on the 26th. The poll has 5 votes for each, but that doesn't seem representative of the current discussion, with the number of people who joined the discussion on the last two pages.

If we do have the attendees to justify the room, I personally have the time to sort out the logistics. :) As a student I've reserved rooms there for free. I no longer study there so I'm guessing there might be a fee but there might not be one at all. Either way, I wouldn't reserve it if I weren't comfortable paying for it in full if ever everyone were to bail. I'm a student too and can totally appreciate that we're on a budget! I have no intention of renting something we can't afford and won't make anyone pay anything if we have a cheaper option.

The most productive thing to do at this point, as you and Munchzilla pointed out, would be to set a date. Starting a third thread seems premature, so I've started a Google form. Please reply here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFIyMkpDaTI0ZWQwdXhHR2owenRzUUE6MQ

This logs who responds to the form so doubles as a preliminary confirmation. I think we'll get more relevant responses since you have to choose between the 25th, 26th, or both. I also ask for your e-mail that way I can contact you outside the forums once the final details are settled. I promise I won't do anything silly with your e-mail but if you really really don't want to get updates by e-mail you could just write "use PM" instead. This is just so we can get in touch with the people who might have forgotten about the thread - there seem to be a few back on page 1. If I rent a room we could easily fit 30 or so people so I also ask if you'd like to bring along any non Head-Fi friends. They obviously can't come if it goes over our max headcount. I'll forward the replies to whoever ends up hosting if it isn't me!

It's my first Head-Fi meet so I'm not really sure how's the best way to go about organizing it, but I think this might be a bit less messy than the current thread. If someone else wants to take over that's fine by me! :)

I just went back trough all the thread to see who confirmed which day, but I could get 5 people per day at most. Sure many people showed interest, but very little people committed. Many people said "I might be there.. ", "I may show up if...", "I'll try to make it on...". For me this looks like what happened to the last two Montreal Meets. Are you willing to commit yourself to a rent with these "maybes"? I don't see how asking them to pay will help to gain their commitment either.

Maybe we should just confirm a day, confirm who will be there. From there we can decide if all of us fit at Lappy's conference room, or if it's worth it to rent a classroom in order to invite non-Head-fiers. I'm just trying to stay realistic (read: skeptic) here. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #69 of 180
My friend and I will call Dawson and Marianopolis respectively to see if we could get a room there and the cost of it.
I also listed 3 friends in my google docs form but realistically it depends on the day how many of my 3 friends can actually show up.
All 3 of them regularly handle my gear so I'm not afraid of them breaking other peoples' stuff.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #70 of 180
Quote:

Maybe we should just confirm a day, confirm who will be there. From there we can decide if all of us fit at Lappy's conference room, or if it's worth it to rent a classroom in order to invite non-Head-fiers. I'm just trying to stay realistic (read: skeptic) here. 

I think this is what has been said before, have confirmations and not just maybes. no renting will be done unless there is a date and enough users confirmed, I believe.
perhaps even go as far as to have a number of people meet up before renting and even do the renting together (for people who don't have a long travel)

I am also hoping that we will not let people who haven't confirmed in, and making it "public" might indeed not be a great idea - however, having people sign their name + phone number + e-mail address or so when they enter the meet area might be a good idea in case something happens.

and I do really hope that people will be supervising other peoples gear carefully if one decides to leave for a while. 
smile.gif

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #71 of 180
Quote:
My friend and I will call Dawson and Marianopolis respectively to see if we could get a room there and the cost of it.
I also listed 3 friends in my google docs form but realistically it depends on the day how many of my 3 friends can actually show up.
All 3 of them regularly handle my gear so I'm not afraid of them breaking other peoples' stuff.

Awesome! Both Dawson and Marianopolis are a bit more central so probably better. Asking people to "sign in" with their phone number etc. seems like a good idea too.

I sent a PM to everyone who's posted in these threads at some point to let them know the Montreal meet might still be a thing. We should be able to finalize most of this by the end of the weekend!

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #74 of 180
Alright, I entered for the 26th. Whether or not my attendance can come to fruition, I hope so, will be a different story... I'll ask for a day off on the 26th, but being in retail + back to school... not sure.
Gah, I should have checked for the day off first...

I can bring essentially anything that's in my list minus the ST-2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back