Monster Turbines vs Head-Direct RE2?
Jun 19, 2011 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

iLoveMyuzik

Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. I was wondering what would be the better IEM's to get, the Turbines or the RE2's? I would love everyone's input on the matter. Also, is there anything better that I can get for around $100? Possibly even less?

I listen mostly to hiphop and dubstep, but my music tastes vary and I love to listen to basically anything else. I'm looking for really well-rounded headphones, but a little bit better bass would be nice, so long as it does not affect the mids and highs.

I'd prefer the bass to be clear and not necessarily "boomy". I want to enjoy the bass without being destroyed by it. xD Thank you for helping me consider my options.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:
Hello, everyone. I was wondering what would be the better IEM's to get, the Turbines or the RE2's? I would love everyone's input on the matter. Also, is there anything better that I can get for around $100? Possibly even less?

I listen mostly to hiphop and dubstep, but my music tastes vary and I love to listen to basically anything else. I'm looking for really well-rounded headphones, but a little bit better bass would be nice, so long as it does not affect the mids and highs.

I'd prefer the bass to be clear and not necessarily "boomy". I want to enjoy the bass without being destroyed by it. xD Thank you for helping me consider my options.

Definitely. You can do much better for under $100. In particular, I think RE0 is a huge step up from the RE2 in overall sound quality and is totally worth the extra price. I haven't heard turbines, but I read a few impressions on them and based on those impressions, I am sure RE0 sounds much better. RE0 is a reference product though and is not suitable for those looking for a colored, very bassy or very bright sound. RE0 is basically neutral, or at least very close to it. It has about the proper amount of low end, mids and highs. It is also very revealing and scales really well with better amps and sources, although still sounds acceptable out of most DAPs. There are other options in the sub $100 category and I would suggest that you take a look at |Joker|'s 100+ IEM review thread to check out those options of which there are very many nowadays. Personally however, I don't think there is any IEM under $100 that can beat RE0 and there won't be one for a while.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 29
For the kind of music you prefer, the RE0 would probably be a bad choice. The Turbines however, are like getting whacked upside the head with deep, punchy, aggressive bass. Maybe check out the Meelec CC51. It's relatively balanced with a slight bass emphasis. You can get it with a mic.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 29
Yeah, I have to agree with Selenium with this.  You're going to want to get something that is between the Turbines and RE2s.  Judging by your musical tastes, the RE0 will definitely not have enough bass in any way, shape or form.  I haven't heard the CC51 though.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 29
I've heard the turbines, and their bass is overdone.  The boom on them is ridiculous.  Definitely not turbines.  But then again, Re0 lies on the other end of the spectrum entirely for bass.  personally not sure on the re2...I guess Selenium's suggestion of looking into Meelec is a good one

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
Yeah, I have to agree with Selenium with this.  You're going to want to get something that is between the Turbines and RE2s.  Judging by your musical tastes, the RE0 will definitely not have enough bass in any way, shape or form.  I haven't heard the CC51 though.

Not necessarily. He said that he listens to many kinds of music and he may appreciate the balanced sound of the RE0, which truly excels with instrumental and vocals. I think it also does great with rock.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 29
Interesting...

I personally think the RE0s have excellent bass. It's quite clear and tight and very well balanced with the rest of the sound. Not thunderous, but I hate that anyway.

Certainly not the most energetic phones I've heard, but I've been more than happy with them for basically every genre of music I've thrown at them.

Make sure you get a good fit though. I had to get comply foam tips before my RE0 sounded good.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
Interesting...

I personally think the RE0s have excellent bass. It's quite clear and tight and very well balanced with the rest of the sound. Not thunderous, but I hate that anyway.

Certainly not the most energetic phones I've heard, but I've been more than happy with them for basically every genre of music I've thrown at them.

Make sure you get a good fit though. I had to get comply foam tips before my RE0 sounded good.

I never said the RE0s had bad bass.  I actually love the bass.  However, for the genres listed (dub step and hip hop), the RE0s will more likely than not be lacking in quantity. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Interesting...

RE0 is not the most energetic, because it just isn't colored IMO. It is calm and controlled. It produces all the detail, but serves it to you on a plate - doesn't throw it in your face like say Etymotic ER4. Not to say the ER4 is bad, but I think RE0 is the more neutral one.

I agree with you regarding the fit - from my experience RE0s are indeed very sensitive to how you put them in your ears and which tips you use, With certain tips, they can sound too bright and with others, they can sound dull. You need to find the tips that give the right balance for your ears.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
I never said the RE0s had bad bass.  I actually love the bass.  However, for the genres listed (dub step and hip hop), the RE0s will more likely than not be lacking in quantity.

Fine, but it depends on the person. I personally can listen to trance and electronic on an Etymotic ER4 on flat EQ and still enjoy it, because for me what really matters is the bass quality. For other people, bass quantity may be more important, but I think that people like the OP who listen to a wide variety of genres are more likely to appreciate a balanced sound and for them RE0 will provide a perfectly adequate bass quantity with superb quality.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 29

Fine, but it depends on the person. I personally can listen to trance and electronic on an Etymotic ER4 on flat EQ and still enjoy it, because for me what really matters is the bass quality. For other people, bass quantity may be more important, but I think that people like the OP, who listen to a wide variety of genres, are more likely to appreciate a balanced sound and for them RE0 will provide a perfectly adequate bass quantity with superb quality.

Yeah agreed. I listen to hip-hop and electro frequently through my RE0 and I'm more than happy with it.

Plus, the OP specifically asked for a "well-rounded" and "non-boomy" sound. To me, the RE0 is therefore a good choice.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 29
Well, to clarify, my taste is music is strong on the dubstep and hiphop genres, but I do listen to a lot of underground hiphop as well as smoother music genres that are hiphop based. A good example is music produced by Nujabes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8wxfuTmq_I

I do enjoy bass, but the 'phones need to be well-rounded enough to play more smooth tracks. Haha. The RE0's sound good, assuming that the bass can shine in dubstep, primarily. I listen to really grimy dubstep, but I'll probably leave that to the SRH750DJ's I plan to get. These IEM's might be used for days where I feel like being a little more lowkey. Something with a nice beat that can get me thinking, you know?

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Well, to clarify, my taste is music is strong on the dubstep and hiphop genres, but I do listen to a lot of underground hiphop as well as smoother music genres that are hiphop based. A good example is music produced by Nujabes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8wxfuTmq_I

I do enjoy bass, but the 'phones need to be well-rounded enough to play more smooth tracks. Haha. The RE0's sound good, assuming that the bass can shine in dubstep, primarily. I listen to really grimy dubstep, but I'll probably leave that to the SRH750DJ's I plan to get. These IEM's might be used for days where I feel like being a little more lowkey. Something with a nice beat that can get me thinking, you know?

With those genres you listed, I'm still iffy about the RE0s, I just don't think they'd be right for those main ones you listen to.  There are much better headphones with good quality that you can listen too.  I'd still aim somewhere between RE2 and Turbine.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 29
If you get the RE0s I have no doubt you'll be disappointed. He's basically asking for something on the bassy side and RE0 is a recommendation? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back