Monster Turbine Professional – Copper Review - With Burnin Discussion and tips
Jul 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #31 of 80

Quote:
yes, go for it !
popcorn.gif

I went for it. hope you're right. :)

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #33 of 80
So I was about to jump for the coppers as well, but I was still a little unsure.  For full disclosure, I am currently unemployed.  I have a decent savings account, and am looking for a job.  Music is so important to me.  I don't go anywhere, ANYWHERE without my iPod.  Even when I know I won't be able to listen to it-like at church, lol, I have them in my purse.  I can't go to sleep without it.  So, they get heavy use, and I want something that really sounds great, will be comfortable, and durable.  A good warranty is important too.  I want to spend money just once, not over and over replacing them.  So in that sense, I was thinking that spending more at the offset would in the long run save money.  I definitely need to get some sort of replacement, because my SE210s are LITERALLY falling apart.  

Well.  I got told off bigtime last night for considering paying 250.00 on earphones.  According to this person, if I would just stop looking at audiophile forums and at high end pairs, I could get a cheap pair and be happy.

I've really enjoyed my time here so far.  It's not just about looking for buying advice; it's a hobby, keeping up with the news, reading impressions, etc.  Learning.  

I know that I have at least somewhat of a discerning ear.  We both have SE210's, and while mine sound pretty good, his sound like CRAP.  I'm thinking maybe because he doesn't use them much and they haven't been burned in.  he can't hear the difference.

But it made me think, am I really crazy for thinking of spending that much at this point?  There are good earphones out there for less.  Would I be satisfied with them?  There are lots of good 'phones for less, like the UE700s, the Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia, etc. But I had felt like at 250, the upgrade from those to the copper was a huge bang for buck. I felt like I was getting a pair in the 400 dollar class for way less.   Plus a limited lifetime warranty with one break it replacement! But maybe I wouldn't even know the difference. And maybe they take less money for them because they are actually "lower class". *sigh*  Well, I have to make a decision today.  The 250 price on the coppers expires this evening.

To make matters more complicated, before all this started for real, I impulsively jumped at the Amazon gold box offer for the Monster turbines (basic) for 70.00.  Now I read that the cords are flimsy and that a lot of people don't like them.  

Sorry for the rant, but there is no one else in my family who has "audiophile" tendencies.  

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #34 of 80
^The Coppers are well built and have a good warranty system, I also found them to be pretty darn comfortable. Sound quality wise they are also very good if a bit bassy (especially coming from the SE210). But the bass doesn't intrude into the midrange and they do have good treble extension so I suspect you be pretty happy unless you have alot of music with bass but don't like hard bass.

I would recommend the new Shure 535's but I don't think you will be able to get them in the price range you are looking for plus while they look to be built like a tank they don't have the same warranty as the MTPC nor have they been on the market long enough to have been "stress tested" by heavy duty users yet.

I have grown to like the sound quality of the SM3 more than the MTPC but they do not have the same warranty and I don't think they will have the same longevity as the MTPC build wise. Plus unless you hear both you will not find yourself saying I wish I had that pair instead of these, just run away from head-fi after making your purchase so you don't get tempted to "upgrade".

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #35 of 80
@dweaver: Thanks for the advice.  rest assured, once i get a pair, whatever i choose, that's it for the foreseeable future.  I wouldn't even be in the market if my shures were in good condition.

I am used to wearing the cords over the ears, does that mess up the fit of the coppers?  Also, with earphones of this quality, is my itunes library of AAC files going to sound crappy?  I read someplace that they really need the full quality tracks.

what do people think about the value of the coppers?  

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 80
My curiosity finally got the best of me.  I just received a pair of the MTPCs (thanks Shane55) and am pleased as punch.  My past favorites were the Westone W3, which regretfully I sold in order to tryout the Klipsch Image X10--big mistake.  So far, I really like the MTPCs.  They have the warmth of the W3, but seem to have more sub-bass extension and less fatiguing highs.  It's too early to tell whether I like them more than the W3, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up keeping these for a long time.  

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 80
@ShyFroggy: you can wear these over the ear or straight down depending on your preference. I have no issues with either.

@vinnievidi: These definitely are quite good and I liked them more than the Westone 3 even though both do not suit me. These are a very fun phone with a very good warranty and it sounds like their signature is for you so you should probably be quite happy with them.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #41 of 80
Welcome to the Monster club for you new joins.  Just a heads up, experiment w/ the tips alot and play w/ the insertion depth to get the right 'tune' you are looking for.  Deeper = more bass, less treble and soundstage.  Shallow = less bass, more treble and soundstage.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #44 of 80

Quote:
btw if you had the 210 and wernt hating them, since it seems youd rather not spend like a crazy person go for a PL-50.  beats a 210 no prob and is stupidly cheap

x2

Brainwavz M1 and M2 are good contenders as well if you want to save some money.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #45 of 80
Oh wow they must be really bad if a $50 earphone beats one that is a bit under $200 MSRP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back