Monster Turbine Pro vs. IE8
Feb 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #16 of 65
I've been listening to the MTP Gold over the weekend and I agree with MacedonianHero that the IE8's are in a higher league. With my ears, there isn't a plasticky sound or any echoes. It is very open and expansive. I even was comparing the IE6 and MTP last night as well and I still prefer the IE6 over the MTP. The MTP sounds slightly more detailed than the IE6 but just like the rest of the IE series, they have an incredible immersion factor which is probably due to the open and airy sound they produce.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 65
I totally agree...the IE8s have a sound stage that really rival full sized headphones. Something that tends to be lacking for IEMs.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 65
...I'm with Dobber65 in slightly favoring the Turbine Pro Golds over the IE8s (and, yes, I own both). Clearly there isn't "no comparison whatsoever," no matter how absolutist one's opinion may be.
wink.gif
I'm sure the usual suspects of different fits, aural structures, sources, and sonic preferences apply here. I, for one, prioritize soundstage much lower than overall balance, and that's where the Turbine Pros pull ahead for me. The IE8s also fall behind when it comes to naturalness of timbre; to my ears, they simply sound more artificial than the Turbine Pros. Obviously this is not a universal assessment, but a personal one...

Which is all to say: The Turbine Pros are very capable earphones that do not merit the automatic disqualification they seem to have been given.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please grow up.

If I did have a mental handicap, then making fun of it on your part really shows what kind of person you are.

Woah dude, chill out. I wasnt implying that you had a mental handicap, I was responding to the other guys comment reading "Don't be retarted."

I was basically pointing out the potential irony that using the phrase "don't be retarted" could have on someone if they were in fact legitimately mentally retarted.

On the contrary, I actually share the same opinion as you in that the Monsters are in an different class than the Sennheisers. I can't stand the turbines...

Not a personal attack, just a miserable attempt at humor, which unfortunately went over like a lead balloon...

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #20 of 65
Hello everyone, Thanks for this thread. I owned the ie8 several times in the past and I really liked them because of their soundstage. I have never heard anything like htat in an iem before. Also their bass (on the lowest setting) was really good. While I am not a basshead i like my bass to have authority and sound real.
The reason why i dont have the ie8 anymore and am looking for a new iem is that their midrange just sounded too recessed for me and thei didnt have enough trebble.
Are the monster turbine gold less recessed? if so I might go for them.
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, Thanks for this thread. I owned the ie8 several times in the past and I really liked them because of their soundstage. I have never heard anything like htat in an iem before. Also their bass (on the lowest setting) was really good. While I am not a basshead i like my bass to have authority and sound real.
The reason why i dont have the ie8 anymore and am looking for a new iem is that their midrange just sounded too recessed for me and thei didnt have enough trebble.
Are the monster turbine gold less recessed? if so I might go for them.
Greetings, Anouk,

IMHO, the Golds mid range and treble are very nice I can spend hours listening to my music with them.
I like them better than the SE530 I used to own.
I've said it before the MTP Gold is smooth like a great whiskey.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 65
From what you guys are saying, IE8's bass is good and have more impact due to the midbass hump but the MTP produce the lower subbass better and have a better overall balance & accuracy?

I'm using Westone 3 right now but I'm considering buying one of these guys. My music is mainly Hip hop + R&B. I like strong, high impact bass but doesn't bleed over the other frequencies. Which one would suit me? I'm getting pretty annoyed by the Westone 3's sibilance issue that no kind of tips can fix.....

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 65
I don't think you would go wrong with either the IE8 or MTP (but MTP Gold may be more suitable to hip hop with its slightly warmer bass than the MTP Copper from what I have read). Neither the Senn or Monster IEMs bleed into the mids or treble. The IE8s are a bit warmer, while the MTPs are a bit clearer across the spectrum, with a noticeably cleaner/tighter bass due to less of a hump. But at this range of quality, it's going to come down to personal preference.

Another option is to try the original Turbines, still an excellent IEM, cheaper, with more of a bass slam due to its enhanced (but in no way muddy) bass, without bleedover into the mids or treble. If absolute tonal integrity is a priority, the MTPs are an improvement (along with better cable design), but the original Turbines are still very very good.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 65
I'm a bit leaned on the MTP, mainly cause I can get it here for bout 180$ brand new sealed compare to the 300$+ of the IE8....

And the original turbines will be my commuting phones, there is no way I would bring something as shiny as the MTP outside, I might get pwned.....

Also, if I buy the MTP, personally I think I won't limit my choice of music genre because overall the MTP is still quite neutral unlike the IE8 which won't perform well on certain genre. Am I correct?

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #26 of 65
You should like the MTPs, especially for their neutrality and extension on both ends, which seems to match well with every type of music I have tried. You can't go wrong with either one (unless a replaceable cord is a must, then it goes to the IE8). They are both excellent, so it seems you should go with price and enjoy the MTPs, you won't be disappointed.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #27 of 65
Another vote for MTP. The difference to me: MTP sounds more meaty, and the low end is deep; for the vocal, hip-hop and guitar, I choose MTP.
The so praised IE8 sound stage somewhat seems "forced", I can't deny it's quite enjoyable; I can see why someone describes it as "plasticky". I'll use it for Classical, Big Band.
You can't go wrong with either one. If I listen to all kind of music and I only want to buy one, I choose MTP.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 65
No, the separation to me is not odd with the MTPs (and only slightly worse with the IE8s). One of the characteristics I have noticed with both the original Turbines and my MTPGs are the incredibly detailed separation between the L and R channels. I compare them to my other top IEMs, and the BA-based IEMs tend to smear separation details from a little to more than a little compared to my Turbines and IE8s.

The MTPGs do not have the apparent soundstage depth of the IE8s, but MTPG's excellent separation can't be compared to any other IEM I have.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 65
No, not me (as noted on the other thread). Have the MTPGs in right now, small super tips, with Johnny A playing his jazz guitar. These phones are not just excellent for most genres, they are a good value at $200. Even better with the $118 open box price I paid. I got very, very lucky.

I had the IE8s once upon a time, very good IEMs and another good deal ($224 during that insane NCIX.com sale), but in the end, found them sort of dull, soundstage or no soundstage, when compared to the Westone 3s, which I also owned at the time.

No, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all that the IE8s crush the MTPGs. Not at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back