Monster Turbine Pro vs. IE8
Feb 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

jbob10

New Head-Fier
Hey dobber (or anyone else),

No one has really directly compared the IE8 to the monster turbine pro from what I can tell. Care to offer an opinion?

I just got the ie8s about a month ago solely based on the love they get from the forum. They aren't really blowing my mind and the fit isn't great. I like deep bass and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the ie8 vs. the monster turbine pro. Excuse me if my forum etiquette is crap.

Thanks,
jbob10

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 65
Hey, no problem. When you get to the top tier of IEMs in which any of the top universals (SE530, TFP, W3/UMX3, IE8, MTP, and a few others), it comes down to personal preference on sound, build quality, fit, etc. Nothing is perfect, but all are very good for what they do.

I have posted a few comments of the MTP and the IE8, both of which I really like. To me, they can be condensed to this:

IE8: Superb soundstage, great spectrum with a bit of a mid-bass hump, but excellent mids and treble, with a great replaceable cable. Fit may be an issue for some, and it appears you have to wary of counterfeits. All-in-all a very very good IEM. Bassy? More warmth to me that calms down over time and provides an unmatched soundstage. The TFPs are airier due to their extremely detailed and delicate treble, but with their recessed mids, they don't cover the spectrum as well as the IE8s.

MTP: Flat (even for the Gold version I have), but extremely extended in the bass without being boomy, and a very natural mid/treble that seems better detailed and extended in the high-end possibly due to the controlled bass. The MTPs seem to have improved on Shure's midrange, which tends to become fatiguing to me. The build quality is a major improvement over the original Turbines (which I still use regularly). Instrument separation is excellent, but that does not necessarily translate to a very large soundstage. I've said it before, these capture timbre and sonic characteristics of acoustic instruments like no other IEM I have tried (I wonder how the AT CK10/CK100 compare), and reproduce electric guitars like Grados (nothing comes close except the original Turbines).

If replaceable cables are important, go IE8. If soundstage is important, go IE8. For electric guitar, go MTP. If accuracy, probably the Gold MTP would work, possibly the Copper (but I haven't heard them yet). For acoustic or jazz music, my initial preference would be the MTPs, but the IE8s are not deficient here. It may come down to how important accurate timbre is to you (if it is, go MTP). For deep deep accurate bass, my current recommendation is to go with the MTP, but again, the IE8s don't disappoint me here.

Like everything at this level, YMMV. Hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 65
Have you been drinking while watching the Super Bowl?

There is no comparison whatsoever!!!

Monster Turbine Pro = AA ball
IE8 = The Show (MLB)

Not even close...

confused_face(1).gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 65
Dobber, you're the man. Thanks for the thoughtful and copious response.

I guess I'll pull the trigget on the mtp if I can get them for a good price. What's been your experience with comfort on the mtp? Are they hard to get a good seal with?

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 65
No fit or comfort problems for me with the Pros. They have more tips than the Turbines, but not as many as the IE8s. I am fine with the large round single silicone tips, which provide excellent isolation, but the SuperTips are also supposed to be good. You should be able to find a tip that will work.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been drinking while watching the Super Bowl?

There is no comparison whatsoever!!!

Monster Turbine Pro = AA ball
IE8 = The Show (MLB)

Not even close...

confused_face(1).gif

Not the old $99 dollar turbine. Thats the newest turbine dude. The pro gold is the newest. Don't be dumb. If you'd bother to read up on it you'd find out it's actually good.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be dumb.

It'd be epic if he did have a legitimate mental handicap...

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 65
Wow...did that feel good to write that, guys. I hope so. Give yourselves a pat on the back, and kiss mom and dad goodnight. You have school tomorrow.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 65
I will have to say that the major reason I would choose the MTP over IE8 is that with fast music, the MTP (I like this acronym) simply doesn't echo cheaply as the IE8 is bound to do with trance and trip hop. It may not bother many people, but I am annoyed with the horrid echo from the IE8. It does have a wider, open sound, but I wouldn't put it ahead with instrument separation or overall fit-anything musical presentation.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 65
It's called reading comprehension. I dunno it annoys me when people don't read things correctly. Read, and then respond. Not enough people on forums do that really.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 65
I had IE8s, and found the sound plasticky. There were low bassy sounds/textures it didn't seem able to reproduce properly, like in Prince - Black Sweat, and in various electronic music.
When the bass dial was turned down it had no bass, but the rest of the sound was recessed and lacked detail when it was turned up.
I doubt they were fakes as I bought them from Play.com (not from another user).
I hope for the sake of the person I sold them to they weren't.

My questions:
How does the MTP compare to the IE8 for reproducing powerful+/low bassy sounds? (eg. Autechre - Steels, Prince - Black Sweat, Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers, or in dubstep or psytrance)
Also is the MTP inserted further into the ear than the IE8?
How does the isolation compare?
Does it make a noise when the wind blows on it outside?
Is it as comfortable? (The IE8s fitted nicely)

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Not the old $99 dollar turbine. Thats the newest turbine dude. The pro gold is the newest. Don't be dumb. If you'd bother to read up on it you'd find out it's actually good.

I have heard the new Monsters (my brother actually owns them)...those are the ones I was referring to. I did not say that they were bad, just not in the same league as the Sennheisers.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...f533deb2f6en02

Have you heard the IE8s? Obviously not, most likely because they are much to cost prohibitive for someone like you!

Please grow up!

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

It's called reading comprehension. I dunno it annoys me when people don't read things correctly. Read, and then respond. Not enough people on forums do that really.

Again to confirm, I was referring to the NEW Monster Turbine Pros!!!!

Try a little respect next time to fellow Head-fiers Mr. 46 posts! You will find you actually learn more and can really make some good friends here, but not with your attitude.
smile.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be epic if he did have a legitimate mental handicap...

Please grow up.

If I did have a mental handicap, then making fun of it on your part really shows what kind of person you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back