Monster Turbine Pro Golds... No bass?
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 49

Quote:
Doesn't sound like you have actually heard the coppers. No one who has actually heard them would say that they are bass light.

With iems, you need a very good fit or you miss all the bass (or the fit is too deep and it sound like it's in a tunnel).

Or they're defective. I know he has them, I remember he posted something about them months ago. They're on the bassy side of neutral. I'd be kind of ticked if I paid $400 for these though. I'd also be surprised if he had a bad seal too...

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #17 of 49

Quote:
My impression of the Gold is that they have a very well extended bass line.  I personally thought they were very well balanced to the ears and quite flat when using frequency response tests.  They certainly are not void of bass.  The bass however is not monstrous, nor is it dominant (to my ears).  I feel it is well controlled, not super tight, not loose, but a good middle ground.  If the song doesn't have bass, the MTPG doesn't put bass in the song.  If the song is strong in bass, the MTPG has bass notes, but it also doesn't overwhelm nor is sloppy.  Bass is as balanced as the song provides.  Some folks may seek an overwhelming sense, and for those people, the bass of the MTPG might be lacking.  Then again 95% plus of the high SQ earphones out there might be lacking. 

100 % agreed. Well stated.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 49

Quote:
My impression of the Gold is that they have a very well extended bass line.  I personally thought they were very well balanced to the ears and quite flat when using frequency response tests.  They certainly are not void of bass.  The bass however is not monstrous, nor is it dominant (to my ears).  I feel it is well controlled, not super tight, not loose, but a good middle ground.  If the song doesn't have bass, the MTPG doesn't put bass in the song.  If the song is strong in bass, the MTPG has bass notes, but it also doesn't overwhelm nor is sloppy.  Bass is as balanced as the song provides.  Some folks may seek an overwhelming sense, and for those people, the bass of the MTPG might be lacking.  Then again 95% plus of the high SQ earphones out there might be lacking. 

x2, couldn't have said it better myself.  Although I think warm is a better word than balanced and flat.  I hear it closer to the FR graph for once.  But very enjoyable to listen to, very laid back and euphonic.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #19 of 49
It's either a bad seal or bad phone.

The first can be solved by getting a better seal. I'm not entirely convinced if everybody here knows what a "good" seal is. I think the best way to describe it, is that it should sound like your ears have earplugs in them when no sound is coming through the phones. Also, if you move and tap the cable with your fingers, you should really be able to hear it. If both of the previously described scenarios are true with you, then you have bad phones. 

If the phone are bad, and you got them from Frys, either go back and do an "even exchange", or make a copy of your receipt, and call Monster and ask for a warranty replacement. The Frys route is faster if it's been within 30 days of you buying it. Make sure to tell them the phones are defective, so the next person won't have the same problem as you.

If it's been longer than 30 days since you got them from Frys, call Monster and do the warranty exchange. I don't think they require the original receipt, just proof from an authorized dealer. That way, when your dog chews through the wire, you'll still be able to get the "my fault" warranty exchange. 

Which makes me wonder, how does Monster keep track of the "one time any reason" replacement? There's so many authorized dealers out there. Maybe it's an honor system, and they'll actually keep replacing them forever.

I can't imagine it'd be by customer, because I could have 3 pairs of coppers for all they know. Maybe it's by dealer and invoice number? That'd be either a really well setup database, or a super human intensive process.

Anyway, hopefully it's your seal, and not that the phones are broke. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 49
I guess I am used to my customs (UE-10's and JH-13's). I own a pair of MTPC's and was going to do a review for them,
but didn't because of my poor listening experiences.
I have been using the smaller tri-flange tips. Perhaps (after reading the opinions of others) I should try some of the other tips. Thanks.
I completely gave up on them. Maybe there's hope for me.

That's what Head-Fi is all about.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #21 of 49

Quote:
I guess I am used to my customs (UE-10's and JH-13's). I own a pair of MTPC's and was going to do a review for them,
but didn't because of my poor listening experiences.
I have been using the smaller tri-flange tips. Perhaps (after reading the opinions of others) I should try some of the other tips. Thanks.
I completely gave up on them. Maybe there's hope for me.

That's what Head-Fi is all about.

They are definitely not an out of the box phone.  75 hours burn-in.  Black gel tips for bass, white foam hybrids for overall SQ.  Adjust insertion depth for treble.  Done!  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #22 of 49
I'll also suggest checking the plug.  If it's not in all the way, it will also sound weak.  For example, I have an amp with a slightly inset phone jack.  I have a problem with some earphones where they will simply partially pop out.  Not all earphones do this, only a few.  However the MTPG is one of them.  It doesn't pop out of my walkman or laptop jacks, but it's also not a real solid latch.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #23 of 49
I just got a pair of mtpg today. I also am surprised with the bass. I expected a lot more. I have a good seal..I have used mostly Iem's for 9 years so i know how to get the seal right. I'm not saying  the bass is weak or anything..just was expecting more like Ie8 bass. Matter of fact I would have bought the ie8 instead if the price were right, but I got a good deal on these and thought I'd give them a try. 
Some have said  " bass on steroids" with the golds... I definitely don't get that. But..... I am very impressed with the over all presentation of these. I think the mids are very nice and the treble very good too, and the bass is like a few posts ago said.. " if the song calls for it, it's there but not overwhelmingly" . I have only been playing around with them for a few hrs so I got alot of burn-in etc before I can make any conclusions. I know I like them for all around phones...it's just my intention was for them to be my "fun" phones. I just got some er4p for the second time in 9 years ( hated them when younger) and am loving them for the detail they provide, so I wanted these for all my fun music. Just a little underwhelmed but not giving up by any means. Also I need the smallest tips of every kind included. I find for myself, the white ones give the most bass/best sound. The gel too but the white fit me better I guess.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 49
On another note.  All the Monster Pros like power.  Without an amp you need to crank the volume up a bit to get the true signature of the phone.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #26 of 49

Quote:
Forgot to say.. I am using with my xm4 amp...which for some is not high end...but for me sounds great with anything I put with it. Makes the er4p worlds better than w/o imo as well as um3x. Not hating the golds...just surprised is all.

I'm never surprised when someone doesn't like a phone that just came out of a box.  Plenty of personal experience and tons of it from people around these forums.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #27 of 49
I absolutely agree. I was just stating that I was surprised at the bass... when I got the Ie8..it needed break-in and when I got the W3 I thought it was too treble-ish at first till I got more accustomed to the sound..same with triple.fi. Just never got any that I thought was going to be bass heavy, that was so not at first. But you are right about fit/tips etc...because it is already sounding deeper to me after 5 or so hrs from using different tips. I am very confident I'm going to love these...just that i was thinking there would be more bass initially. I also learn something new everyday about audio...sometimes I think I'm no more wise than I was 9 years ago when I first got into this hobby.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 49

Quote:
I absolutely agree. I was just stating that I was surprised at the bass... when I got the Ie8..it needed break-in and when I got the W3 I thought it was too treble-ish at first till I got more accustomed to the sound..same with triple.fi. Just never got any that I thought was going to be bass heavy, that was so not at first. But you are right about fit/tips etc...because it is already sounding deeper to me after 5 or so hrs from using different tips. I am very confident I'm going to love these...just that i was thinking there would be more bass initially. I also learn something new everyday about audio...sometimes I think I'm no more wise than I was 9 years ago when I first got into this hobby.

I feel that way too.  The more you learn, the less you know you know.  You know?!  
wink_face.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #29 of 49
Well the more I use  these the better they sound. I have been playing with different tips and I even found a couple pr of ue single flange that sound very good. The ue tips were what I always used with the ie8 and loved the results. They are just so much like you guys said... the ie8 is bass heavy no matter what I listened to where these only are when bass is called for. I am still so surprised by the great all around sound with these. I like the mids very well and the highs are nice w/o being to bright imo. Gonna be doing burn-in overnights too so that will surely make even better.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 49
Just for clarity, I always put 100 hours on every headphone I buy (except used) and amp all of my portable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back