Monster Turbine Pro Gold Turbine durability problems
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bobbyjonesrocks

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

I bought the MTPG off of recommendations from |joker| and other posters. However, I have a problem with their durability. This is my 2nd pair from Onecall. I had the same problem with both of them. I treat them very carefully by always putting them in their pouch. I have attached pictures showing how the section below the earbud has come apart. 

I think I need to look for other IEM's. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks! 

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 20
Same thing happened to my Coppers, it's just a poor design choice and implementation. Just keep taking advantage of Monster's warranty, as far as I can tell I don't know anyone who has used their one lifetime replacement because the headphones break themselves before anyone has the chance to break them. :p

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 20
Wow... I'm miffed that the regular turbines don't have proper strain relief at the bud, but it looks like even the beefier strain relief of the Pros ain't relieving anything except itself! Monster does have good CS and warranty service, but the inconvenience of sending them in still sucks

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 20
This is pretty frustrating. Does anybody know of a similar pair of IEM's that have the same noise isolation and bass, but with better durability? I don't want to keep sending them in every 1-2 months for a repair.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 20
Many said MTP has better cable strain relief, as you can see, the joint on the cable to the earplug case is the same as the standard MT. The "strain relief" look more like an external decoration that does little help protecting the joint unless they extend all the way inside the case.

I do not have the MTP but a standard version, the case is a little loose after a while and of course they will use glue that can be serviceable if it need to be taken apart. The right cable is also loose but not coming apart yet but it is an eye sore to me, I then glue the cable with a bit of glue as well as the case. They are all good and very strong joint from the cable to the case.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 20
eugh, just when I was about to bite the bullet and buy one... I see this just GREAT :frowning2: and since I live in Australia warranty claims are going to be a pain in the ass

hmm to get one or not...

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
eugh, just when I was about to bite the bullet and buy one... I see this just GREAT :frowning2: and since I live in Australia warranty claims are going to be a pain in the ass

hmm to get one or not...

agreed...is this an issue that many people face though? i thought most reviews said these were very durable and of sound buil dquality

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 20
Same happened to mine (2-3 weeks in).  Mine have different strain reliefs though with the gold part at the bottom instead.  Im gunna call and get a replacement, but that would mean Im headphoneless for a while since these are the only ones I have at school.

Pic
http://i.imgur.com/jaZWu.jpg

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 20

If that's your only problem, dont send them in. place a drop of adhesive on the cable, and quickly insert the broken stem. I did the same thing myself with the copper's and you cannot tell they ever broke. After going through MD's like tissue paper because of off balance drivers, I'm not willing to let my copper's go so easily. a few months have gone by and the drivers still sound fantastic
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:

If that's your only problem, dont send them in. place a drop of adhesive on the cable, and quickly insert the broken stem. I did the same thing myself with the copper's and you cannot tell they ever broke. After going through MD's like tissue paper because of off balance drivers, I'm not willing to let my copper's go so easily. a few months have gone by and the drivers still sound fantastic
ksc75smile.gif

I considered that.  Does it void the warranty by any chance because Ive heard of gluing the shell voiding the warranty, but I would assume this is a bit different.

The other issue I have is that when inserting the buds I get crackling/popping where the sound will go in and out until proper pressure is achieved.  Im not sure if this is due to the drivers or an issue with the tight seal of the IEM.  I had slight issue with my S4's, but this is much worse, granted the tips are different.

Others have noted it and claimed it got fixed with a new pair.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

I considered that.  Does it void the warranty by any chance because Ive heard of gluing the shell voiding the warranty, but I would assume this is a bit different.

The other issue I have is that when inserting the buds I get crackling/popping where the sound will go in and out until proper pressure is achieved.  Im not sure if this is due to the drivers or an issue with the tight seal of the IEM.  I had slight issue with my S4's, but this is much worse, granted the tips are different.

-Technically, I could see them saying it voids warranty, but it's not like you were fixing something you broke. If done correctly, no one would even know applied adhesive to begin with. At the very worst, they would replace your headphones under the one time your fault (again, I sincerely doubt they would go out of their way to p!ss off a customer).

-I find the crackling is caused from weak drivers being placed in a fully closed surround. Unlike the drivers in phones like the metrofi 220, which have a vent; those things never click or crackle. Over time, the drivers will get weak to the point where they are easily influenced by negative pressure. If you want to prevent this, get a set of comply tips, or some porous material which will allow air to easily escape.

-If this is true, then perhaps it will be worth you filing a warranty claim. If you have enough money to lend monster, I would suggest you ask for a cross-ship. They will charge you retail price on the replacement pair, and process it like a purchase. Once it arrives, you return them your pair and they will process the refund (you will be asked for the card you used, as they claim they dont keep that information in their system). People have also mentioned they will grant you a return label upon request. so all in all, your replacement shouldnt cost you a dime.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

-Technically, I could see them saying it voids warranty, but it's not like you were fixing something you broke. If done correctly, no one would even know applied adhesive to begin with. At the very worst, they would replace your headphones under the one time your fault (again, I sincerely doubt they would go out of their way to p!ss off a customer).

-I find the crackling is caused from weak drivers being placed in a fully closed surround. Unlike the drivers in phones like the metrofi 220, which have a vent; those things never click or crackle. Over time, the drivers will get weak to the point where they are easily influenced by negative pressure. If you want to prevent this, get a set of comply tips, or some porous material which will allow air to easily escape.

-If this is true, then perhaps it will be worth you filing a warranty claim. If you have enough money to lend monster, I would suggest you ask for a cross-ship. They will charge you retail price on the replacement pair, and process it like a purchase. Once it arrives, you return them your pair and they will process the refund (you will be asked for the card you used, as they claim they dont keep that information in their system). People have also mentioned they will grant you a return label upon request. so all in all, your replacement shouldnt cost you a dime.

WHen the drivers do "get weak" would this be covered under warranty or the 1 time replacement?

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

WHen the drivers do "get weak" would this be covered under warranty or the 1 time replacement?

no, they'll be covered under the lifetime replacement warranty; meaning as many times as it occurs. the 1 time replacement only takes effect if it was your fault (IE: diced cables, crushed housing, etc..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back