Monster SuperTips size comparisons (pictures)
Sep 17, 2010 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
Here are some size comparisons of the Monster SuperTips.

First is the packaging of the sampler pack.
It comes with 5 pairs of Gel SuperTips (top) and 5 pairs of Foam SuperTips (bottom), ranging in sizes XS, S, S/M, M, and L.
Two exposed materials are also available on the far right so you get to feel how the gel and foam are.

In the opened packaging from the back, here they are (from left to right) L, M, S/M, S, XS
Top row Gel.
Bottom row Foam.
The sample materials are the two black disks on the far left.

Here they are compared with some other popular brands of tips.
Top row: SuperTips Gel: XS, S, S/M, M, L.
Middle row: Comply T-400, Sony hybrids SS, S, M, L, Shure olive M.
Bottom row: SuerTips Foam: XS, S, S/M, M, L.

Picture taken from top.

Same things again.

Note: My Sony hybrids are from the set of 7 difference sizes that come with MDR-EX700.  I am only showing the 4 hybrids that can be bought as replacements.  I can wear the Sony hybrids sizes L and LL (not shown) comfortably, but I cannot even fit the Monster Supertips size L (gel or foam) into my ears.

For other IEM tips comparisons, please see ClieOS's post
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/304963/fyi-various-iem-s-tips-pictorial-comparison

Disclaimer: I received the Monster Supertips for free from the August 2010 Supertips Challenge.  I am not affiliated with Monster Cable Inc.  For more information about Supertips, you can check http://monstersupertips.com/
(Is there forum rule against posting links?)

If anyone has questions or would like more pictures, just let me know, and I'll try to update the post when I have time.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 13
I wrote an overly long review of these tips which I intend to rewrite and drastically shorten. These are my favorite tips, and one of the few tips I can truly say are "unique". The foam in particular is special for providing great fit, comfort and isolation, without the usual problems of foam tips wearing out quickly or killing the treble. The gels are my favorite for my HJE900.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 13
I just sold two sets of super tips here on head fi within a day of listing them.  They are excellent tips, the larger ones didn't even come close to fitting and i think they were made for giant ents from lord of the rings and not humans, but overall excellent tips.  

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
 the larger ones didn't even come close to fitting and i think they were made for giant ents from lord of the rings and not humans, but overall excellent tips.  

I think the problem with SuperTips (especially gel ones) is that they don't have as much "give" as other silicone or foam tips.  Supertips holds their volume and shape better, whereas the other silicone or foam ones simply compress or collapse.  This means that Supertips are more convenient than other foams (Comply, Shure olive) because you don't have to squish them before wearing.  And supertips are better at isolation than standard hollow silicones.  But on the flip side, they do feel a little firmer than others, especially before heated to body temp.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 13
Hey guys. I realize this is really old, but I just got some Supertips and they're much different looking now. They seem to be thinner and less round.
Will post pics soon

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Hey guys. I realize this is really old, but I just got some Supertips and they're much different looking now. They seem to be thinner and less round.
Will post pics soon

Thanks for those! I've needed to buy a new set of large foam SuperTips for a while.. I'm very happy to see that the entire tip is now one piece. Part of the reason I need to get a new set, is because my old ones are falling apart where the foam attaches to the rubber insert.

I'm assuming those are the foams, right?

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 13

Thanks for those! I've needed to buy a new set of large foam SuperTips for a while.. I'm very happy to see that the entire tip is now one piece. Part of the reason I need to get a new set, is because my old ones are falling apart where the foam attaches to the rubber insert.

I'm assuming those are the foams, right?

You would be incorrect in that assumption. These are only the gels

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Improvement? I would say that they're worse. It's incredibly difficult to get a seal with ANY of the tips, be them foam or gel. Even more so than the old model. They just don't fit the natural curvature of the ear. Truly poor design on monster's part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back