Monster "Miles Davis" IEM's
Jan 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is to say their goal isn't different here. You know the beats sound pretty good with hip hop. I am not ready to right them of because of my arrogance.

I could never get past the way too obvious noise cancellation. If you like the beats, buy mdr-v6... it'll sound better and save you a good 200$ or more.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by untrueparadox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the price of around $100 you can get a pair thats more bass heavy and balanced than a lot of the phones in the same price range. let the headphones speak for themselves please.

It'd be a bit easier to let them speak for themselves if Monster would give us an idea as to what the specs are on them instead of posting some bs about how the numbers & graphs are "meaningless" and how their "specs" are based on how much emotion or impact they have on the listener, or whatever the hell the exact quote is. I've looked at a headroom graph on the turbines, and there is a MASSIVE bass boost in the lower dB's. Which earphone brand has the most similar fq response... skullcandy. I've heard both brands, and the similarity is definitely there, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but hardly reasonable for that type of brand to invoke Miles Davis' name in terms of sound quality. I'm sorry, but Monster just sucks. My opinion.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be a bit easier to let them speak for themselves if Monster would give us an idea as to what the specs are on them instead of posting some bs about how the numbers & graphs are "meaningless" and how their "specs" are based on how much emotion or impact they have on the listener, or whatever the hell the exact quote is. I've looked at a headroom graph on the turbines, and there is a MASSIVE bass boost in the lower dB's. Which earphone brand has the most similar fq response... skullcandy. I've heard both brands, and the similarity is definitely there, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but hardly reasonable for that type of brand to invoke Miles Davis' name in terms of sound quality. I'm sorry, but Monster just sucks. My opinion.

That's what most people don't realize... if it has a prominent place at a best buy, then it's probably going to have very overwhelming bass, because most people think that small headphones can't provide good bass, so if they hear powerful and not neccessarily clean bass, they associate it immediately with something good... just look at car audio, 90% of the unwashed masses think subs are the only upgrade required and the more your car falls apart while listening to the latest song about murder and drugs, the better. Bass sells, though some people eventually grow beyond that...

They're all going to have a low level hump. But then again, so do my sony's, but unlike all that crap, it's not gimmicky, it's actually a good sounding can, with a few options for upgrade, AND, it looks and feels great.

Nebraska Furniture Mart is actually starting to sell AKG stuff here, and that's pretty cool, but I'll tell you, all thier lower end stuff... it just don't sound that great to me at first listen. Every time I head down thier line-up because it does eventually change... I always pick the mdr-v6 as my favourite. It has something most headphones don't: sub bass. Not even boss and monster pulled that off. the MDR-V6 has that **** with your spine bass that you usually only hear with larger subs... it actually has pressure. (it has more to do with the bass extension than an even larger hump)

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 49
Monster can go to hell.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #36 of 49
awesome contributions for conversation, guys.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like turbines with an extra 300 dollars stuck on the price tag.

This.

They look really really sexy though. At that price tag, they had better make my Miles CD's sound even godlier.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TastyBeanSprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but we can make comments about the marketing practices of Monster. What they do is absolutely ridiculous. Its a pure commoditization of music / artists.

So, if you like it or not, supporting these types of products is hurting music.

This is the artist's heirs getting in on some Monster cash; the rest of the Monster head/earphone lineup is the Artist themselves capitalizing on some Monster marketing. Some might say that these artists have "sold out", some might call it "co-branding".

I say get paid while you can if you can, it's the American Way for better or worse
beerchug.gif

I personally would like to hear from someone who has actually stuck them in their ears and given them a good listen, as they seem to be a departure from the usual Monster marketing strategy.

If I was in the market for a high-end universal IEM I might go $250 for these, as you do get a ton of extra stuff...

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #39 of 49
IMO, these phones looks more like a golden futuristic space ship then a dedicated jazz IEM
ph34r.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #40 of 49
The Monster building should be stormed by Miles Davis fans if the in ears don't deliver on music by Miles Davis. If only it would happen, lol.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #44 of 49
This weekend I had a first experience with all three of the Monster higher end models (Gold, Copper, and MD) at a cool store called In Motion. Its an airport-only high end audio shop where you can demo almost every IEM. The folks were great and let me try all three as many times as I wanted. I much prefer the MDs. My first impressions were:

Gold: Bass-heavy. Much tighter bass than the UE SF5EBs, but as much in quantity. More defined, as well. Treble and mids WAY improved over EBs. Not muddy at all as in the EBs.

Copper: Very tinny sounding. Weighted to the upper-mids.

MDs: Absolutely amazing. Bass is there when needed, not when not needed. Vocals are insane. Very clear emphasis on mids, but the bass and treble do not suffer. What the Golds and Coppers did, the MDs did better. What the Coppers could not do, the MDs did do. I would go for the MDs or Gold, esp if a basshead. Perhaps the Coppers are more accurate, but not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back