Monster Diamond Tears (Review added 10/6)
Oct 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #31 of 67
I picked up the Diamond Tears last week when I was at Future Shop and they had a demo set-up with both Inspirations (NC and passive), the Diesel Vektor and the DT's. I spent some time with all of them and bought the DT, with the knowledge that I had 14 days to return for a full refund. I got the one Black version they had.

These are very nice. Bass is healthy but not overbearing and muddy like the Inspiration. Much better defined, tight. Top end and midrange are clear and even. Instruments and voices are shockingly clear and real (shocking because I was not expecting anything like this). Soundstage is compact, which I don't mind, it holds the music together with smaller headphones, and the presentation is rather in-your-face but the balance is so right. And the real soundstage is, of course, recording dependent and the DT seems to tell it like it is with no artificial exaggeration. I went back to the UE6000 and it sounded so sloped down from the midbass, and flat and dull.

The DT has balance, clarity and punch in all frequencies. How unusual is that?

Wow. Don't even know what to think now. I just got the ue6000s and quite like them but I do prefer a neutral sound signature. I was going to decide between the 6000s and Sony mdr1 but I might have to check these out. Do the highs extend better and sparkle more than the 6000?

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #32 of 67
Quote:
Do the highs extend better and sparkle more than the 6000?

Yes. On the UE6000, everything seems to roll off gradually after the upper bass. The DT is certainly not bright but it is not rolled off either.

To my ears, it is a headphone where you don't hear or think in terms of bass, treble, midrange. You just feel like the music is right. It is the opposite of laid-back but it is not harsh. Full of energy but well-controlled.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:
I'm almost sold on them. I just wish they weren't so... Ugly
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's between the dt and Sony mdr-1 I think.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder............

I found it to be the best-looking and sexiest headphones ever designed. Nothing even come close. From the day I've seen its photos I'm completely sold without even knowing anything about how it'd sound like.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 67
Quote:
I'm almost sold on them. I just wish they weren't so... Ugly
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's between the dt and Sony mdr-1 I think.

Just remember, Monster doesn't sell replacement cables for any of their headphones. So if your Android or Iphone mic cable breaks, you're out of luck unless you can find a cable that fits.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Just remember, Monster doesn't sell replacement cables for any of their headphones. So if your Android or Iphone mic cable breaks, you're out of luck unless you can find a cable that fits.

They come with 3 cables, and you can buy cables on the bay and elsewhere that will work.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Yes. On the UE6000, everything seems to roll off gradually after the upper bass. The DT is certainly not bright but it is not rolled off either.

To my ears, it is a headphone where you don't hear or think in terms of bass, treble, midrange. You just feel like the music is right. It is the opposite of laid-back but it is not harsh. Full of energy but well-controlled.

That's a good way of saying it, nothing stands out or seems missing. Gave them to a nephew in college. I could tell by his face he wasn't impressed at first, that changed radically in the course of a week. He called and raved endlessly.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #38 of 67
Hello Frank , 
beerchug.gif

You back hanging around these boards  ?  Any way nice review of those diamond tears ,a bit glitzy looking for you i would have thought but sounds like they are built like a tank ,your reviews have always been spot on in the past so i have a fairly good idear how these should sound and i am glad to hear they do not sound like monsters other full size cans as none of them sounded right to my ears ,

They look kinda cute .Whats the impedance of the tears Frank ?  sounds like there designed to play out of portables , did they have plenty of power and volume or do they need amping to bring out there best ? and how would you describe there overall clarity against ,say the coppers ?

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #39 of 67
Hey Darren, yeah hanging around a bit, and yes they are too glitzy for me. I bought them simply because it's the first set of non iem's monster has made that sound good. They also seem very well built.  I'm honestly very happy to see a set of headphones that give young adults and teens the three things required from my perspective, Looks, Durability, and good sound. They play fine out of portables, improve slightly amped.  They offer all the clarity of the coppers, with a slightly more forward midrange.  Yet aren't harsh.  I thought it was worth writing about. Off topic, I'm loving windows 8.  Hit me up brother!

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:
...To my ears, it is a headphone where you don't hear or think in terms of bass, treble, midrange. You just feel like the music is right. It is the opposite of laid-back but it is not harsh. Full of energy but well-controlled.

Beagle, I agree with you, man. I've been a fan of the Diamond Tears since I first heard one of their master prototypes at CES. It was funny because the spokesmodels were walking around Monster's CES exhibit with them, but that early on almost all of the units at the exhibit were for show only--they sounded horrible. I went behind the exhibit to meet with a few of the guys on the development team, and they had a bunch of them on a table...

...and just one of them on the table was what I believe they called the golden sound sample (or golden sound master, or something like that), and that one sounded very good. I handed that one to Joe, and he tried it on, and he liked it a lot too.

I asked if I could take it with me, and they said no, as there were only a very small number of those tuned ones at the time. They did let me take a for-show-only-definitely-not-for-listening unit with me, though, just for photos. It only took one look to know the Diamond Tears style would be polarizing, but there was no denying it was entirely unique in its appearance, so I decided to wear it around Las Vegas, just to see what the response would be. To this day, I don't remember a headphone that I've ever been stopped more for questioning about than the Diamond Tears.

One guy working at a sales kiosk at the Caesars Forum shopping mall literally abandoned his kiosk to chase me down (but kept looking back at his kiosk nervously), to ask what the headphone around my neck was.

I really appreciate the uniqueness of the style, and I really like the way the Diamond Tears looks (especially the black one, and also a very limited edition gold one they made). A lot of people I know love the way they look, and many do not. Regardless of which side of the fence you fall on with respect to its styling, there's no denying that Monster didn't just ape Beats' styling for all their headphones to begin their post-Beats era. Kudos to them for that.

Here is that don't-listen-to-it prototype with me at the restaurant Sushi Roku at Caesar's Forum last January:

I'm only commenting because I just finished writing about the Diamond Tears for the upcoming holiday update of the Buying Guide, and was wondering if these were out in the Head-Fi wild yet, and found this thread in my search.

The Diamond Tears is easily Monster's best-sounding over-ear headphone yet; and its fun, out-there styling makes me smile.

Anyway, again, guys, I'm glad some of you are diggin' it, too.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #41 of 67
I actually had a listen to a pair of these a week or two ago at a local Future Shop and also really like their sound. I surprised the salesman when I told him they had the best sound out of all the Monster headphones set up for demonstration. Being on ear and way to "pretty" for my tastes I wasn't seriously thinking of buying them but I did like their sound.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm only commenting because I just finished writing about the Diamond Tears for the upcoming holiday update of the Buying Guide, and was wondering if these were out in the Head-Fi wild yet, and found this thread in my search.

The Diamond Tears is easily Monster's best-sounding over-ear headphone yet; and its fun, out-there styling makes me smile.

Anyway, again, guys, I'm glad some of you are diggin' it, too.

There are now demo displays at Future Shop and Apple stores, so folks will have the opportunity to compare the Monster headphones. This is how I was able to ascertain that the DT eschewed the bass emphasis of the other Monsters.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #43 of 67
The black is way less blingy, but still a bit much for me. No denying the sound of these is a huge jump forward for monster on/over cans. I hope these have great success and monster follows suit in the future.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #44 of 67
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting headphones for my little brother for christmas and was pushing him towards the Momentums or Amperiors, otherwise M80's. But he, being 11, really wants to make a good impression with all his friends.

It's beats or nothing. He told me he wanted the mixr's otherwise green studios. I proposed to him some newer models that should be better than the studio or the on ear mixrs. So it was executives, vektr and diamond tears.

I decided to try out all those headphones at work, headphones I refused to even put on my head; and I have to say, the DT's are actually decent. I showed him some pics of the black ones and that's what he wants now.

I'm disappointed but at the same time not overly so. I could of gotten him amperiors, m4u's, momentums or spirit ones for a good price too, but the diamond tears it is.

At least they sound decent and the headphone actually looks and feels nice.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back