Monster Diamond Tears (Review added 10/6)
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 67
Awesome review! I am new to headfi so I don't know too much bout heaadphones... The only notable headphone I have is the lp2. Can you compare them? If you could I would very much appreciate it. Also how is the bass compared to the lp2? I a little bit of a basshead and I like the amount of bass on my lp2s. Lastly, would you say it is worth the price? M100 are coming out and I've been debating on this or m100s. These look pretty tight tho so its a hard decision. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:
 You've stated that,''The downside for some is they don't fold''

Unless my eyes decieved me,i saw an unboxing video about these,and the guy folded them,and put them in the traveling pouch

LMAO, I stand corrected, after reading your post, I checked. From looking at them I had no idea they folded.Thanks, I'll have to correct that.

PS.... Don't I feel foolish, I've had these ten days and never tried to fold them, the hinging is invisible until you closely inspect the inside of the headband.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #18 of 67
Quote:
Awesome review! I am new to headfi so I don't know too much bout heaadphones... The only notable headphone I have is the lp2. Can you compare them? If you could I would very much appreciate it. Also how is the bass compared to the lp2? I a little bit of a basshead and I like the amount of bass on my lp2s. Lastly, would you say it is worth the price? M100 are coming out and I've been debating on this or m100s. These look pretty tight tho so its a hard decision. Thanks!

The LP2 have more bass, the M100 I have yet to hear, but while they may well be an upgrade to the M80, it's not a sure bet either. The bass is more in quantity on the M80 as well, I'd say the Diamond Tears are not for bassheads. Probably better to stick with what you have until you can hear the M100. The MMM from Skullcandy is also a fair can for serious bassheads. Too much for any non basshead. Finally if you can get a chance to listen to the polk Ultrafocus 8000 it's a seriously good can with just enough bass for a basshead, while retaining a hifi sound, the Polks would be my pick, and sound better than the LP2 across the range, keep in mind it's an ANC can, and use two AAA batteries.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #19 of 67
Quote:
Having read an awful large number of your posts, these could possibly be to your liking. The bass is so tight, and very well presented, not a hint of midbass hump either with nice full mids, only the lack of air in the treble and upper treble rolloff keep it from matching something better.

The lack of midbass hump sounds promising. Is the soundstage really cramped or is it fairly open for a can this size? I'm not familiar with the 'phones you compared the DT soundstage to in your review.

Also, it is easy to obtain a proper consistent fit/seal in order to get all the benefits you are describing?

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:

The lack of midbass hump sounds promising. Is the soundstage really cramped or is it fairly open for a can this size? I'm not familiar with the 'phones you compared the DT soundstage to in your review.

Also, it is easy to obtain a proper consistent fit/seal in order to get all the benefits you are describing?

I'd say width is average for a closed portable can and depth is a bit above average. The soundstage is puzzling to me though. While most music the size is fairly small, on cassical music it seems far better, where most phones don't show as much difference. To my ears anway. It's not anything to write home about.

The seal/fit is very easy to get, and the cans are not overly sensitive to placement, and the shape of the cups makes sense. The movement on both the vertical and horizontal axis is limited.
Moonlight Sonata shows the lack of coloration with all the piano's notes coming across with some of the best rendition I've ever heard from a closed can, and better than several open cans.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:
Thanks so much! Do you know anywhere where they might have a frequency response graph for these? Also, these are on ears correct? Thanks!

Yes, they're on ears. I don't know of a response graph just yet, but will be looking out for one.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 67
I don't plan to invest any more time listening. My last session 10/10 was through an Ipod nano and an Iphone, those are the only two devices I have left that aren't filled with lossless music. The DT's reveal the differnece very well, a balanced sound with lots of detail, is the short version of how they sound, it's a pretty drastic difference from past Monster over/on ear offerings.  Time to try something new :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Well , why so much dedication to the monster cable brand, considering how much their full size headphone are bashed here ? (much less critics for iems though).
Are you a fan of monster beat headphones, or it's just that you have the opportunity to test them all ?
By the way it doesn't seem easy to find your reviews , you should post them on  the head gear section.

But the only ones worth a listen are the beats pro, according to reviews here, so you'd have to compare to these ones.

I know the misunderstanding is over, what I wanna say is that well I also found most of Monster's on-ear offerings awful in sound quality, but I have also tried ALL of them simply for the reason that they are virtually EVERYWHERE to be tried, and I DO HOPE one day they'd come out with something that sounds half-decent since I do adore their looks and design.

I agree whole-heartedly that the Diamond Tears is the single most neutral, balanced and refined (not necessarily uber-detailed, but refined) sounding cans of all Monster's non-inear offerings. I can listen to it for many hours without finding anything objectionable.

Comparing to the PSB in active mode, the Diamond Tears have JUST a hair more bass and are definitely less open and less airy, but the neutrality is there. On the other hand, the Diamond Tears are much more dynamic and  sounds fuller than the PSB in passive mode. Comparing to the Focal Spirit One, the Diamond Tears lacks the excitement and lags behind a little bit in terms of mid-high details but do better than the Focals in terms of bass details and neutrality while showing a more linear extension into the highs.

BTW Mine is the "normal" white diamond version - TBH I had a hard time deciding between black and white, both are sexy beasts but at the end of the day I thought OK both are bling-bling so why not get the bling-bling-est one?

Also agree that build is excellent, and somehow I think the very well made draw-string suede pouch a much more practical solution than bulky semi-hard cases.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #25 of 67
The cans look way too... gaudy for me, but after reading that they are better than the ESW9's, I'm interested. It sounded like a neutrality test, though, and ESW9 are hardly neutral.

OP, considering the $300 price tag, how better are these in terms of price/performance compared to other Monster products? The ESW9 can be found for $200, and the ESW9/ES10's are far from being cost-efficient.

Even if Monster can pump out decent sounding cans (and I know they can), they won't get my respect if they cost $100-200 more than they should.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #26 of 67
Quote:
The cans look way too... gaudy for me, but after reading that they are better than the ESW9's, I'm interested. It sounded like a neutrality test, though, and ESW9 are hardly neutral.

OP, considering the $300 price tag, how better are these in terms of price/performance compared to other Monster products? The ESW9 can be found for $200, and the ESW9/ES10's are far from being cost-efficient.

Even if Monster can pump out decent sounding cans (and I know they can), they won't get my respect if they cost $100-200 more than they should.

Well, comparing to Monster and their branded (celebrity) cans, much better value.  When I think of great value, the cans that come to mind, are portapro, px100, and grado sr 60/80,

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by productred /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree whole-heartedly that the Diamond Tears is the single most neutral, balanced and refined (not necessarily uber-detailed, but refined) sounding cans of all Monster's non-inear offerings. I can listen to it for many hours without finding anything objectionable.

Comparing to the PSB in active mode, the Diamond Tears have JUST a hair more bass and are definitely less open and less airy, but the neutrality is there. On the other hand, the Diamond Tears are much more dynamic and  sounds fuller than the PSB in passive mode. Comparing to the Focal Spirit One, the Diamond Tears lacks the excitement and lags behind a little bit in terms of mid-high details but do better than the Focals in terms of bass details and neutrality while showing a more linear extension into the highs

This sounds very encouraging. I own the PSB and the Focal and enjoy both. The DT might be right up my alley. 

How does the DT compare to the PSB and Focal in terms of fit and comfort?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

BTW Mine is the "normal" white diamond version - TBH I had a hard time deciding between black and white, both are sexy beasts but at the end of the day I thought OK both are bling-bling so why not get the bling-bling-est one?

Also agree that build is excellent, and somehow I think the very well made draw-string suede pouch a much more practical solution than bulky semi-hard cases.

Nothing wrong with bling if you want it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

This sounds very encouraging. I own the PSB and the Focal and enjoy both. The DT might be right up my alley. 

How does the DT compare to the PSB and Focal in terms of fit and comfort?

Hi there I also own the PSB and Focal I talked about - the Focal being the white version newly released. I have sold my older black version sometime ago.

In terms of fit and comfort, PSB is clearly the winner among the three by a rather substantial margin. For the other two, it more or less depends on your head shape I think: for me (or my head), Focal pressed rather hard against the ears, while the DT's pressure point is at the top pressing down against the skull. Neither is what I call uncomfy though.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #30 of 67
I picked up the Diamond Tears last week when I was at Future Shop and they had a demo set-up with both Inspirations (NC and passive), the Diesel Vektor and the DT's. I spent some time with all of them and bought the DT, with the knowledge that I had 14 days to return for a full refund. I got the one Black version they had.

These are very nice. Bass is healthy but not overbearing and muddy like the Inspiration. Much better defined, tight. Top end and midrange are clear and even. Instruments and voices are shockingly clear and real (shocking because I was not expecting anything like this). Soundstage is compact, which I don't mind, it holds the music together with smaller headphones, and the presentation is rather in-your-face but the balance is so right. And the real soundstage is, of course, recording dependent and the DT seems to tell it like it is with no artificial exaggeration. I went back to the UE6000 and it sounded so sloped down from the midbass, and flat and dull.

The DT has balance, clarity and punch in all frequencies. How unusual is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back