Monster Cyborg? Next Monster's headphones?
Oct 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HeadQuest

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers,

I was doing some web-searches about a R'n'B artist and landed in a chinese R'n'B forum. In its "general chat" forum i stumble upon a thread that included the image below. Besides saying that some units maybe leaked in the grey market, there wasn't more information about them. Do someone know anything about them?

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Looks like the ankle bracelet they put on paroled convicts
dt880smile.png

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Kinda sorta looks like an electrostat... or a Cylon.

Cylon electrostats!

Put an red LED chaser light on the headband and then flip it down over your eyes like a visor!

I like the looks, though I doubt its real since that's not a very good render.

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 14
Durability looks great.  Looks heavy though.  Monster should make it an Ortho.  Monster would never make an electrostat.  Doesn't match the signature preference of the brand or the market target since stat buyers need a specific amp as well.  That shrinks your market potential.  

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah that makes sense.  Way different sound sig.  An ortho could give them the same credibility in the full size market that they have in the IEM market.  I doubt they'd use an unconventional technology like an ortho though.  All their IEMs are dynamic.  No BA drivers.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Looks like the ankle bracelet they put on paroled convicts
dt880smile.png

They're appealing to their demographic.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense.  Way different sound sig.  An ortho could give them the same credibility in the full size market that they have in the IEM market.  I doubt they'd use an unconventional technology like an ortho though.  All their IEMs are dynamic.  No BA drivers.

Well they had a reason for not using BA drivers.  It goes beyond their published response to that question.  It had more to do with technical limitations within their signature preference and targeted market.  I'll leave it at that.  I bet they are dynamics as well due to logistical and economic considerations.  Though I agree a quality Ortho would skyrocket Monster's credibility in audiophile circles as you said.    

"Life is too short to listen to bad headphones."  
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 14
No offense, but "Chinese R'n'b forum" sounds almost as weird as these headphones look.
biggrin.gif

Do they both really exist?

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 14
It looks fake, you can see the aliasing along the edges of the image and the red on the headband can be done with Microsoft Paint ®. Also, look at the texture of the earpads.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 14
I think they are one of the prototypes for the Yao Ming / Monster colaboration headphone.  Whether or not they will be produced is unkown allthough I hope they are.

...Beats by Ming ?
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back