Monster-branded 'stuff'
Jul 8, 2007 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cyberspyder

Caution! Incomplete trades.
In general, do I get my money's worth? Are they any good? I was looking at a Power center for my LCD TV, and found out that it costs quite alot. Is it worth it?

Brendan

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 21
I suppose their stuff does what it's supposed reasonably well. Are you getting your money's worth? That depends who you ask.

Can't you get by with just a decent surge suppressor or is there a problem you're trying to alleviate?

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 21
I think cables and stuff from Monster and Belkin are decent cables, but definitely not worth their MSRP. If you can get them deeply discounted, then they are good budget items to buy.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 21
No they are not worth the $$ new. Think Bose. Aka it does the job but there's better for less money.

PS Audio is a good place to look. Tripp-Lite too.

Audiogon for used equipment will get you more for the $$ too.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 21
It's probably stuff being sold closer to what monster sells it to them for. When CompUSA was trying to liquidate their store inventories, monster brand cables were going for less than half price. If you ask me, that's what their full MSRP's should be at.

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 21
I'm still a n00b at surge suppressors and other electronics for home theater...the guy at Future Shop said that I should go for a Monster-branded surge suppressor---only that it's $200.

Brendan

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 21
Not to be disparaging, but that's probably the only power center future shop sells. The idea of power filtration is a good one, especially for audio and video, but Monster isn't the only game in town. I would really recommend going used on this, since monster products don't hold their value well. I guess what I'm saying is, buy a power conditioner but buy it used.

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 21
The guy at futureshop?

/thread.

Plug your TV into a decent surge suppressor outlet strip and you'll be fine.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 21
I saw a huge difference with my Satellite TV when I plugged it into my Beklin PureaAV PF40 power conditioner. It was night and day and you'd be blind to not tell the difference.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 21
I have a friend who worked at Futureshop. They got "cost" pricing on employee purchases for Monster. And guess what....the cost is something like 20% of MSRP.

Jul 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Some monster cable on closeout can be a good value, but generally not worth the MSRP.

Belkin is a better value and a no nonsense company.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 21
Monster is to cables what Bose is to speakers. Still, some of their surge suppressors/power conditioners are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back