Monster-branded 'stuff'
Jul 10, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 21
I used to think that Monster were good but overpriced. After their new THX line I try to avoid them whenever I can, the terminators drive me insane.

sendbinaryaspmu5.jpg

I hate these.

1. The 1/8" jack is way too fragile. It will bend solely under the weight of the cable.

2. The 1/8" jack is far too wide. It interferes with other ports on most sound cards, and also many other sources that use even slightly recessed ports.

3. Almost every monster cable up to now has had screw on type terminators where you can undo the jacket and look at the mechanical connections, etc. These are encased in rubber.

Jul 10, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #17 of 21
Not all their cables are bad but many are overpriced and the entry levels are poorly constructed. The best Monster Cable (speaker) IMO is the Sigma Retro speakers cables and those are some high quality cables and sound superb. I also believe they are the most expensive cables from MC retailing at over 1500 for around a 6ft pair. My uncle was fortunate enough to get one from ebay for less than 300 and theyre much better in the mid stage and lows than his Tara Labs RSC 1000 Prime which retails at around half the price of the Sigma Retros. The M series and Z are also quality cables but i wouldn't buy them unless i find them for cheap on ebay. I currently don't own any Monster Cables but i wouldn't mind to own one or two if i could find The M, Z, or Sigma for cheap, other than that, MC is a no no for me. Do a little research and you will find out.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After careful examination, I've decided...on the Tripp-lite HT10DBS surge suppressor. Anyone have one?

Yes it will be better than the monster for the $$.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all their cables are bad but many are overpriced and the entry levels are poorly constructed. The best Monster Cable (speaker) IMO is the Sigma Retro speakers cables and those are some high quality cables and sound superb. I also believe they are the most expensive cables from MC retailing at over 1500 for around a 6ft pair. My uncle was fortunate enough to get one from ebay for less than 300 and theyre much better in the mid stage and lows than his Tara Labs RSC 1000 Prime which retails at around half the price of the Sigma Retros. The M series and Z are also quality cables but i wouldn't buy them unless i find them for cheap on ebay. I currently don't own any Monster Cables but i wouldn't mind to own one or two if i could find The M, Z, or Sigma for cheap, other than that, MC is a no no for me. Do a little research and you will find out.

Are the Sigma Retro's the one that comes in the flight case?

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 21
I would stay clear!
That said, I have been using a Monster branded cable (optical miniplug to TOSLINK) for more than one year and it sure gets the job done.

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to think that Monster were good but overpriced. After their new THX line I try to avoid them whenever I can, the terminators drive me insane.

sendbinaryaspmu5.jpg

I hate these.

1. The 1/8" jack is way too fragile. It will bend solely under the weight of the cable.

2. The 1/8" jack is far too wide. It interferes with other ports on most sound cards, and also many other sources that use even slightly recessed ports.

3. Almost every monster cable up to now has had screw on type terminators where you can undo the jacket and look at the mechanical connections, etc. These are encased in rubber.

this post is a a real eye opener, thanks for the heads up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back