monoprice v augioquest and other "audiophile usb cables
Feb 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #31 of 41
Let's try to get back on topic and help the poor OP from months past. Some of you say it is nonsense not to shell out "only $2" on a USB cable, while others state that there is no scientific difference. What if I told you that you are both right? Though it might not make a sonic difference, better built cables, if you switch cables often, will aid in the longevity of the system. And so to the OP, I say go for the Audioquest Forest line. You get great build quality and the cable looks sexy. At <$20, you aren't ripping off your system, or ripping off yourself.

:)

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #32 of 41
I do hear a difference from switching from a 6" oem usb cable for a printer to Kimber Kable AG USB. But the difference is so subtle that it doesnt justify the cost fot the casual audience.
As a matter of fact I didnt hear a difference in everything I sampled. So I think the source quality really matters.
I used a connection from my HP Notebook to a Teac UD-H01 DAC.
The 2 main albums I sampled were
Light As A Feather by Return to Forever a 24-bit Japanese mastering from 2011 on SHM-CD.
Ripped to FLAC 44.1 /16
The other is
Heavy Weather by Weather Report from HDTracks in Flac 88.2 kHz.

With Return to Forever the printer cable sounded really good, But the Kimber Kable AG did better define the sound stage. The benifits are found in Flora Purims vocals which sounded more forward and smoother. Also Joe Farrells saxophone is more present and detailee from the mix.

However I didnt hear any differences with the Weathet Report album. None.
I went back and forth with the cables numerous times. And the results were the same.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #33 of 41
Guys,

Monoprice cables really should not be used for the audiophiles.  Monoprice cables are for the general public average Joe such as mom, dad, sons and daughter, grandchildren, grandpa, grandma and such.   It's not for audiophiles.  I am not trolling. I am being serious here.

I have used it before, many years ago. And it sounded lame.  Stick with something better than monoprice, seriously.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Actually, no, it's in the form of a square wave. All digital signals are.

And the USB interface does not care what kind of data you're sending. Does your internet change speeds depending on if you're downloading a movie vs downloading a program? Didn't think so.

As long as the USB cable is not damaged and it meets the minimum specs the error rate of the data transmission will be statistically inisgnificant (in other words, the differences between tests/cables will be so small that you won't be able to determine mathematically if one is better or not). FURTHERMORE....all data transmission over USB is buffered at both ends. The audio you hear out of a USB DAC is actually being played not directly from the computer, but from the DAC's own internal memory. It buffers several milliseconds in advance, this way IF there are any errors in the transmission the packets can be resent before the DAC actually plays it. So any jitter caused by the cable (which there won't be any of anyway) doesn't actually get passed through to the audio.

In conclusion - any undamaged cable will sound the same. If you want to pay extra for nicer jacks, a cloth sleeve, thicker insulation, and so on, then that's your prerogative. But it does not change the sound.

Stop with all your sciencey stuff. The only thing that matters is if I think it sounds better despite the measurements and facts telling me it can't. These are my ears, you don't know my ears. <<<< Heavy on the sarcasm for the objectivity impaired. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #38 of 41
Stop with all your sciencey stuff. The only thing that matters is if I think it sounds better despite the measurements and facts telling me it can't. These are my ears, you don't know my ears. <<<< Heavy on the sarcasm for the objectivity impaired. 

Yes thank you for that. Please feel free to keep your sarcasm to yourself.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #40 of 41
+13 

^^Sarcasm

Where did the OP go?

May 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:
+13 

^^Sarcasm

Where did the OP go?

The OP is not here, but I am here.

I'm soooooooooooooo  confused. It all depends on whom
deadhorse.gif

you ask.

I need to try some USB cables with my ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back