Monoprice Portable THX AAA Amplifier
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #106 of 191
I use one of these fiio OTG cables which works great since I velcro my M6 to the back of the thx portable :D just the right length and right angles FTW

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-CL06-Type-Micro-Cable/dp/B07DLQ2XYZ
Great I thought that is best least amount of converters. Straight USB C to Micro USB like this one and one other I'm using too. Sometimes I like a little length to make any adjustments mainly at home.
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Compa...=gateway&sprefix=usb+c+to+micro+usb+ca&sr=8-5

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #107 of 191
8B756132-A2F1-4911-B579-79C859AF08B9.jpeg
This Tempotec V1 is a great transport for the THX. Touchscreen with two SD slots (256gb each, but 512 works too). Small enough to see the amp’s screen. It’s really perfect for it. Also, don’t bypass sending an analog signal via 3.5mm input. My Plenue D2 signal via analog input sounds amazing through the amp. Bigger, warmer, full. So give them both a try, you might end up liking what you hear out of the analog input.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #108 of 191
Well one things for sure is this thread has convinced me to wait for the Fiio M11 pro. I was looking at a few Daps to replace my X7 and after reading the response to THX I'm can hold out til Oct/Nov. It's not like my X7 sounds bad it's just old and needs to be replaced with something new and shiny.:darthsmile:

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #109 of 191

This Tempotec V1 is a great transport for the THX. Touchscreen with two SD slots (256gb each, but 512 works too). Small enough to see the amp’s screen. It’s really perfect for it. Also, don’t bypass sending an analog signal via 3.5mm input. My Plenue D2 signal via analog input sounds amazing through the amp. Bigger, warmer, full. So give them both a try, you might end up liking what you hear out of the analog input.

Wow, your combo seems perfect! Do you need an OTG cable or it's a simple USB-USB?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #112 of 191
Sure is.

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #115 of 191
Ive tried this one too, but returned. It is an awesome device. Great hardware, good volume knob and control, mini screen is awesome, it shows you everything you need. It beats many other units in features. Dirac is pure magic. Once you try it, its hard to turn it off.

My problem with it was constant hiss/background noise while using 32 Ohm IEM. Its not noticeable at all, or barely, on a full size set of cans. My 50 Ohm Senns 518s were working good, noise was hidden and barely there. Another nuisance is double Micro port. I wanted to keep it on the desk. Having it plugged in all the time w 2 cables is a bit inconvenient. Then there is a question of will it work if battery dies???

Its a solid device, with cool features. If a tiny bit of hiss does not bother you, i think it beats many other portable dac/amps.
BA iem ?

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #118 of 191
Depends on what your looking for;
Form factor - monoprice for weight, Q5 has much better buttons/volume and design. HA2SE is basically perfect, too.
DAC implementation - monoprice
EQ - monoprice
Noise - Ha2SE. Maybe others differ in opinion.
Power - Monoprice. If you use 4.4mm amp then Q5 is far better.
Bluetooth - Q5
Detail - Mojo, I am a chord fan, so some may disagree on this one. I would also say HA2SE is close second.
Battery - Q5

Then you have to factor I price. If you want a WA11 , maybe try the HA2SE first, same chip.

Big plus for the monoprice is that is doesnt kill the battery on my phone. I can use the monoprice for 6-8 hrs at work, and my phone discharges at the same slow rate. The HA2SE kills the battery on your phone.
If HA2SE drains your phone, you are using the wrong cable. Use Fiio CL06 cable which is for data only and has its power lines cut off.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #119 of 191
Looking for some advice from iPhone users. I have an IPhone X with CCK and love the sound but when steaming Tidal, if I browse the net and click on links the audio stops for a second randomly. And even in tidal if I browse looking for music I get those random pauses as if it’s too much processing for the dac or phone not sure but slightly annoying. I remember I had a mojo and it used to do a similar thing. Not sure if it’s something with the phone, the dac or if I need a better cable I am just using a generic one.

Apr 25, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #120 of 191
I got my Oppo HA-2SE for the same price as this Monolith THX AAA. Oppo has line out, base-bost as well as high/low gain switch, features which I dont find on Monolith. Besides more power on the Monolith 340@32 vs 220@32 on the Oppo, what else is better? What does this THX teleology give you? There is no hiss on the Oppo, no whatsoever, not even with very low inexpedience headphones and while charging. How long does it take to charge and how long will one charge last? When does the hiss occur? only when listening and charging at the same time? How about when its connected via USB to a Windows box while charging? How low may the impedance of the phone be before the hiss becomes audible? Is this a grounding issue that may be fixed by adding a resistor or an inductive filter? The Monolith is a bulky and heavy device compared to the Oppo. Is it worth upgrading to this one for that spacious/THX/IQ sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back