Monoprice Portable THX AAA Amplifier
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #124 of 191
I listened with

I am currently using the LH Stella which are 109 DB with impedance ranging from 14.8 ohm at 10k hz to 18.1 1khz and there is no hiss via USB while charging.
Great news, then I am confident that I may use my humble 25 ohm Denons with this one. Btw, you are really treating your ears like royals with your high end in-ear plugs? I wish I could have the chance to hear them once in my life.

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #125 of 191
Great news, then I am confident that I may use my humble 25 ohm Denons with this one. Btw, you are really treating your ears like royals with your high end in-ear plugs? I wish I could have the chance to hear them once in my life.
thanks, I got the headphones after the company screw me and hundreds of people with their indegogo campaign. If you are looking for great recommendations at affordable prices check the videos of Bad Guy Good Audio on youtube.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #126 of 191
@MalinYamato BGGAR is the bannerman in proclaiming price=/performance, his reviews is also quite easy to understand, follow his rec if you find yourself to have similar music preference to him, even if not his list are quirky enough with choices from 30-2000usd put in the same rank, just be careful about Chifi QC.

May 15, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #127 of 191
I owned the Monprice THX Protable Amp Dac for a day and sent it back almost right away. I am using Etymotic ER4 for my listening tests- noise was way to much for me on this amp/dac even using the dongle analog out from Apple iphone 7s- the monorpice amp/dac WILL NOT do digital to digital out no matter the connection I used from apple out. I really disliked Monoprice for not telling the users it is not compatible with iphone digital out even though I asked before ordering- they said they dont make a cable from apple to usb micro and I would have to buy it else where- which I did and I used another cable as well and both failed. My older Oppo HA2se worked fine out from iphone and the dac read all high res files- but occasionally it would pick up RF noise- so I wound up selling it this month for hopes the monoprice would solve the problem- not only did it not solve the problem- it doesnt do digital for iphone. FAIL. If anyone else found a way to make this amp work without using a dongle (which contains a dac in dongle from apple) then to analog 3.5 mm plug in on Monoprice THX Portable please let me know. All I know when using the dongle the Monoprice was noisy with digital fuzz when close to iphone. Fail again. Return.

May 15, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #128 of 191
No hiss on my THx but to answer your question I would keep the oppo until it dies.
yes keep Oppo and sell THX Monoprice portable imho

May 15, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #129 of 191
I owned the Monprice THX Protable Amp Dac for a day and sent it back almost right away. I am using Etymotic ER4 for my listening tests- noise was way to much for me on this amp/dac even using the dongle analog out from Apple iphone 7s- the monorpice amp/dac WILL NOT do digital to digital out no matter the connection I used from apple out. I really disliked Monoprice for not telling the users it is not compatible with iphone digital out even though I asked before ordering- they said they dont make a cable from apple to usb micro and I would have to buy it else where- which I did and I used another cable as well and both failed. My older Oppo HA2se worked fine out from iphone and the dac read all high res files- but occasionally it would pick up RF noise- so I wound up selling it this month for hopes the monoprice would solve the problem- not only did it not solve the problem- it doesnt do digital for iphone. FAIL. If anyone else found a way to make this amp work without using a dongle (which contains a dac in dongle from apple) then to analog 3.5 mm plug in on Monoprice THX Portable please let me know. All I know when using the dongle the Monoprice was noisy with digital fuzz when close to iphone. Fail again. Return.
For iPhone digital out you need a camera connection kit to connect to lighting port and a type A to micro usb cable to connect to the Monoprice USB port. It sounds amazing with iPhone, only issue I have is that if i use other apps on the phone at the same time I am streaming tidal, sometimes music stop for a second and that's really annoying. But for music only listening, it sounds amazing. In contrast the OPPO I believe was apple certified and did not need CCK.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #130 of 191
you have to use the USB dongle ie, the Lightning Camera Connection Kit which only has the USB port, or use the newer, more robust one USB 3 adapter which also has a lighting input to charge the phone while listening.
those two dongles is the more robust way to output to an USB DAC simply because Apple specifically made them to interact with USB devices.
direct cable of Lightning to male micro / Type C is much less reliable on the device support

May 15, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #131 of 191
you have to use the USB dongle ie, the Lightning Camera Connection Kit which only has the USB port, or use the newer, more robust one USB 3 adapter which also has a lighting input to charge the phone while listening.
those two dongles is the more robust way to output to an USB DAC simply because Apple specifically made them to interact with USB devices.
direct cable of Lightning to male micro / Type C is much less reliable on the device support
bottom line apple didnt not work digital to digital I tried both and it worked fine with Oppo. Monoprice never said they will work digital to digital with any cable they just said they dont make such a cable- I bought both types - both failed with Monoprice- are you saying that the Camera Cable works? Oh dang! Do you find the Monoprice sounds noisy with sensitive in ears like Etymotic ER4? Picks up sound from iphone?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #132 of 191
bottom line apple didnt not work digital to digital I tried both and it worked fine with Oppo. Monoprice never said they will work digital to digital with any cable they just said they dont make such a cable- I bought both types - both failed with Monoprice- are you saying that the Camera Cable works? Oh dang! Do you find the Monoprice sounds noisy with sensitive in ears like Etymotic ER4? Picks up sound from iphone?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #133 of 191
Sorry, for your bad experience, I know things can get a little confusing, but people in this forum are willing to help. Just to be clear if you ever want to use your iPhone with a DAC you will need to buy a Lighting Camera Connection Kit from Apple. For example I use my iPhone with a camera connection kit connected to a Dragonfly red when i go to the gym. It is really compact and fits in your pocket. Like Sp12er3 said above there are two version of the CCK one is compact and the USB-3 adapter version is bigger but you can charge your phone while connected to an external DAC. There are some DAC/AMPS that are APPLE CERITIFIED but those are really hard to find these days because it is expensive to get the certification and companies are not willing to do that. OPPO did it and that little amp DAC was really nice. Again in my opinion if you want to use your iPhone with hight quality IEMs I highly recommend CCK with any of the Audioquest Dragonfly versions.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #134 of 191
Sorry, for your bad experience, I know things can get a little confusing, but people in this forum are willing to help. Just to be clear if you ever want to use your iPhone with a DAC you will need to buy a Lighting Camera Connection Kit from Apple. For example I use my iPhone with a camera connection kit connected to a Dragonfly red when i go to the gym. It is really compact and fits in your pocket. Like Sp12er3 said above there are two version of the CCK one is compact and the USB-3 adapter version is bigger but you can charge your phone while connected to an external DAC. There are some DAC/AMPS that are APPLE CERITIFIED but those are really hard to find these days because it is expensive to get the certification and companies are not willing to do that. OPPO did it and that little amp DAC was really nice. Again in my opinion if you want to use your iPhone with hight quality IEMs I highly recommend CCK with any of the Audioquest Dragonfly versions.
thanks for that help! im out of game since my Oppo which I sold to buy Monoprice- no way im walking around with huge camera cable and another cable connected to that to amp- way to big! I m looking at DAPS now or maybe a LG Phone w/quad chips for streaming dap.

May 16, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #135 of 191
thanks for that help! im out of game since my Oppo which I sold to buy Monoprice- no way im walking around with huge camera cable and another cable connected to that to amp- way to big! I m looking at DAPS now or maybe a LG Phone w/quad chips for streaming dap.
Got it by the way this a good photo that show footprint
1589603213376.jpeg

That fits in my pocket when I go to the gym

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back