Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #346 of 359
I tried adding my Lyr3 as a preamp, but the aspect I like the most about the THX887, which is depth, gets lost. I know there's a lot of love for Schiit amps, and I get it. But with Magni, Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2 and Lyr3, at least, they have never struck me as having much depth in the soundstage.
I agree that the AAA 887 has great depth :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #350 of 359
Here's a picture from the review that appears to show a miniscule difference in width (and miniscule difference overall).
Monoprice Monolith THX 887 compared to Massdrop Drop THX AAA 789 Balanced Headphone Amplifier.jpg
Just had a listen to one with my Musical Fidelity DAC and compared it to my Lehmann Headphone Amplifier - the Lehmann knocks socks off the THX I'm afraid. I plugged in Beyerdynamic Amiron 250 Ohms Headphones but could have used others besides such as Sennheiser HD660S or AKG K702, Beyer DT990/DT880. Have a large selection of CD's to choose from but went with Jacques Loussier because it's a quality recording and there are only 3 musicians - piano, Bass, Percussion. The Lehmann produces a rich musical experience with plenty of detail and the THX AAA 887 produces a clear "electronic sound" that tries to be musical but fails (reminded me of a Beresford Headphone/DAC from years back. Whether Monoprice have bettered this now discontinued product I know not, but there is a THX AAA 888 I believe. The Lehmann is overpriced in my opinion but I bought it "Used" so that doesn't matter to me as it works great and sounds great. Having said that I bought a cheap Chinese Headphone Amplifier back in 2012 and that sounds fantastic for the price I paid - £38, probably because it's a Clone of the John Lindley Hood Class A Headphone Amplifier of renown that dates back to the 1960's. Thought I should share my experience. Regards to all Head-Fi'ers and a Happy New Year in 2024.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #351 of 359
Well yes. The reviews in video format and articles written on the THX-789 Is pretty much 99% accurate to the measurements that ASR guys release!!

Now ASR guys review the 887 amplifier and it's 2% better than the 789 !

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...thx-887-balance-headphone-amp-new-champ.8942/

And

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/

The facts are in!!
Sorry but 2% won't cut the mustard in my opinion, based upon today's listening test. I would imagine that a 50% increase might though. I compared this Amp against a Lehmann Audio Amplifier from way back - the "Black Cube" and the Lehmann makes the THX AAA 887 sound like an inexpensive FM Stereo Radio. And yes I was using quality Equipment for my Test - the same equipment I use for any Test these days and it does show up inadequacies for sure. Yes the THX is loud and clear but where is the Musical Quality and joyous Musical Experience? I expected such a lot better but it's not to be had - sadly.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #352 of 359
Sorry but 2% won't cut the mustard in my opinion, based upon today's listening test. I would imagine that a 50% increase might though. I compared this Amp against a Lehmann Audio Amplifier from way back - the "Black Cube" and the Lehmann makes the THX AAA 887 sound like an inexpensive FM Stereo Radio. And yes I was using quality Equipment for my Test - the same equipment I use for any Test these days and it does show up inadequacies for sure. Yes the THX is loud and clear but where is the Musical Quality and joyous Musical Experience? I expected such a lot better but it's not to be had - sadly.
It's interesting to see these hyperbolic comparisons (the Black Cube making it sound like an inexpensive FM stereo radio... come on 🤣) always coming from new head-fiers with just a few posts. It must be a heck of an amp, then.
Enjoy it!

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #353 of 359
It's interesting to see these hyperbolic comparisons (the Black Cube making it sound like an inexpensive FM stereo radio... come on 🤣) always coming from new head-fiers with just a few posts. ***It must be a heck of an amp, then.***
Enjoy it!
*** it is. And the Lehmann Audio Linear SE is even better!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #354 of 359
*** it is. And the Lehmann Audio Linear SE is even better!
Nobody doubts there are better, much better and incredibly better amps out there. Also the opposite.
But the ridiculous hyperbola from someone claiming to use "quality equipment" with a bunch of meh headphones...
You could go to any thread of people discussing any gear and say "I've compared X to Y and it makes it sound like (insert ridiculous assertion). And I use quality equipment". Great contribution.
Anyway, like I said: enjoy. Also, happy new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back