Monoprice Monolith M565 immpresions
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 221
So I'm curious since you said the treble is recessed but DMS was saying that the sound is quite balanced. What source were you playing the headphones out of?

That's why I got them, based off his video... Hoping to save a $100 dollars and replace my m1060s.... I can't believe he compared them to the 1060s, night and day to me.

Since they are ridiculously easy to drive I tried them strait out of my lg v20 which makes everything else sing. When that failed I hooked up the Fiio A3 to give them more juice. V20(I love its dac)->Fiio A3->M565. That combo makes everything from my Philips L2 16ohms to the Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm sound great. I just didn't care for the sound signature. Apparently I'm not alone, out of the 2 Amazon reviews, 1 super positive and the other negative with him stating the same problem I had. I guess I just don't like extremely dark headphones. I love my m1060, Philips L2, Beyerdynamic DT880 and Sennheiser 598 s. But these just sounded like the 1060s with the top half cut off to my ears.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #22 of 221
@s2kPanda nice! ya let me know, I hope your impressions are better then mine. I have been thinking about the 400i for my next pair. Any idea how it compares to the 1060? Right now the Monoprice M1060 is getting most of my head time. But every time I'm on amazon it is hard to pass by that 400i at the current price!

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 221
@Nickapalooza86 Ahha, I decided to get the m565 returned to Monoprice directly through UPS before it reaches me so unfortunately I won't be getting them. From what I've noted when reading through the forums, the HE-400i has slightly less bass but it is tighter than the m1060's and with supposedly longer decay. The mids and highs are supposedly better in clarity to that of the m1060. However, I've heard that modding the m1060 with the fuzzor mod and getting vegan pads (discontinued) will fix a lot of the problems a stock m1060 and make it a better overall headphone. So to answer your question, it's definitely not worth the sidegrade. Save up and get an LCD3 or HD800.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #24 of 221
@s2kPanda Any reason you returned them before they even arrived to test them? I have read both ways of some people preferring stock m1060 and others the HE-400i. I am in love with my 1060 at the moment. It sounds ridiculously good for its price range and my favorite part would have to be the soundstage... Very wide but not artificially so, separation and imaging are the best I have ever heard.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #27 of 221
I've heard some folks describe the 565 as very dark. That didn't really make sense to me, but it has taken me a while to find the time for a long listen. I did that tonight and I can only assume that there are some big differences between units. I would describe my M565 as slightly on the warm side. That's it. The highs are beautiful and clear. The guitars, mandolins. violins/fiddles, piano are all clear and accurate. I can only assume that those that describe these headphones as "very dark" got a bad unit because even with a difference in hearing I can't see how you could describe these that way. Mine just seem to get better with listening as I've still only put maybe 10-15 hours on them.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #28 of 221
I've heard some folks describe the 565 as very dark. That didn't really make sense to me, but it has taken me a while to find the time for a long listen. I did that tonight and I can only assume that there are some big differences between units. I would describe my M565 as slightly on the warm side. That's it. The highs are beautiful and clear. The guitars, mandolins. violins/fiddles, piano are all clear and accurate. I can only assume that those that describe these headphones as "very dark" got a bad unit because even with a difference in hearing I can't see how you could describe these that way. Mine just seem to get better with listening as I've still only put maybe 10-15 hours on them.

The m1060 is a nice warm tone but the m565 was just all mid and upper bass to me, terrible treble. I may have gotten a off unit like you said. My 1060's don't have the ringing like a few others do so as a company they clearly have to work on quality control. Maybe I'll give the 565 another shot after a while.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 221
I just got my M565 delivered today. Wanted to try these out since I just sold the M1060 because it was weighing too much for me on my head and I've had a lot of back and neck aches lately. These are incredibly light for planars, comparable to my Audeze Sines. The stock pads are comfortable. They also look a lot better in person than in those stock photos. Its very well constructed although there's no accessible screws to play around with - I havent pulled the velcro off yet but I imagine that will open up the ability to mod. I think the headband is also improved from the M1060.

I will agree they are missing some treble, stock. It looks like a pad change (to velour/microsuede) can help it though (a la LCD-2/M1060). The only problem is getting the pads to stay probably will require some mods to the pads or a velcro attachment to the headphone.

My initial few mins of listening seem to agree with Zeos (surprisingly!) that they have great low end and have tons of potential, but the drivers are just a bit too close to your ear sounding. The treble is completely missing though, but it eq's really well (so far). I think the closeness of the driver affects the treble quantity.

I took some directly out of the box measurements without any "burn-in" period. These are compared to the M1060 Revision with and without Audeze Pads:

Dark Blue: M1060 Rev STOCK
Light Blue: M1060 Rev with Audeze Vegan Pad + Towel Mod
Red: M565 Stock
Orange: M565 Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Pads
Yellow: M565 Brainwavz Pleather Pads

M565-v-M1060.jpg

Update: I listened to a bit more last night and getting more used to the sound. It's dark for sure, but its low end is great. It doesn't lose any details you'd expect with lack of upper mids and treble, but brightening it just a tad would make this a very solid headphone for a entry-level planar.

I enjoyed it using the Dekoni Elite Velour, though I am ordering the Brainwavz Angled Velour to try out tonight. I think the driver distance of the angled combined with velours opening up the high end should help balance this out better. We'll see...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #30 of 221
Here's a follow-up measurement chart comparing Velours to Leather to Pleather stock.

Yellow: Brainwavz Angled Velour
Light Blue: Stock
Green: Dekoni Elite Velour
Purple: Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather

The velour pads help brighten up the treble and upper mids to more reasonable volumes. The headphone is still dark, but its a lot closer to the M1060/LCD2 sound signature with velours than with leather/pleather. Both the brainwavz pads help with just making things sound more balanced again since your ears are further away from the driver like they SHOULD be. The angled velours are actually quite good for these headphones. They probably should have come with angled pads or pads that were a bit further away from the driver to start. The FR graph doesnt show it well, but the distance from driver makes a big difference on this headphone imho.

I like the angled velour pads for sound the best, easily. I wish there were more options. Velour is still itchy and warm to me. I wish there was a microsuede/microfiber option similar to the Audeze pads.

m565-padroll.jpg

M1060 stock and Vegan vs M565 Stock and Velour

M565-v-M1060-v2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back