Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,041 of 8,052
This chill nation track someone posted here earlier is just amazing on these cans! I love them. No doubt

Yeah, it's a great bass track. 

If you want another bassy track to blow you away on the 1060's (Put this on as a demo when showing people them :)

2:07 
basshead.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeYwecNzcSo

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,042 of 8,052
I will need to do some more serious A/B testing with the 400i but for now I can clearly tell you already that the bass are way better, stronger and more extended on the 1060. The mids are different .. and as mentionned this nasal sound to some voice is not super to my taste.. the highs are less clear and transparent. Sound stage is as well deaper and larger.

IMHO It's the stock pads. I legit found the cans stock tonal balance poor with vocals. Vegans help, playing with the damping materials helps as well. Cskippy has posted his solutions, I've posted some of my musing as well, and I'm still playing around. These cans should have shipped with velour pads instead of pleather.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #2,043 of 8,052
I'm wondering how consistent the low end is from one 1060 to the next. Both sides have cracked on mine and I can send them back under warranty, but I'm wondering if my replacement 1060 would have the same outstanding low end. Too much of a gamble ?? Any thoughts ?? 

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #2,044 of 8,052
  I'm wondering how consistent the low end is from one 1060 to the next. Both sides have cracked on mine and I can send them back under warranty, but I'm wondering if my replacement 1060 would have the same outstanding low end. Too much of a gamble ?? Any thoughts ?? 

We are all using different sources, amps, dacs, etc.  Unless we got a whole bunch of them and tried it with one consistant source we have no idea if the bass varies, prob not though.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #2,045 of 8,052
IMHO It's the stock pads. I legit found the cans stock tonal balance poor with vocals. Vegans help, playing with the damping materials helps as well. Cskippy has posted his solutions, I've posted some of my musing as well, and I'm still playing around. These cans should have shipped with velour pads instead of pleather.

Grrrrr I need to swap pads then ... but paying 144usd for the audeze pads here is very difficult to swallow :frowning2:
On a side note mine arrived without connectors issues and no wood cracks to date (ok only 24h out of the box ! It is not super dry here so let's see). I say. I wood cracks because the two plastic connectors (Mmcx on the cans) cracked already ... and I never played with the cable since first installation... nevermind I will anyway mod these connectors. I am lazy so I will wait for someone more talented to design some out of body 2.5 connectors like on the LCDs :)

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #2,046 of 8,052
Can someone post an example of "nasal" sound to vocals? Give me an example track on youtube... I want to compare to some of my other cans to see if I can hear what you're talking about.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,048 of 8,052
Pulled my 1060s out again before I return them tomorrow. My biggest issues now listening without new toy syndrome are the lack of subbass presence to me. The rumble you can "feel" is much more present in my iSines and HD800. Also the nasal quality in vocals is definitely there. The entire midrange feels a bit wonky to be honest and while the treble does still have some nice air to it, it feels a bit pushed back in the mix.

I still think this is a great sound for a $300 set, but the QC issues need to get ironed out before they're recommendable. Even then it's with the caveats that I've detailed above. It fits nicely into the mid range spectrum of stuff. You know how there's a ton of 200-400 dollar cans all with pretty unique signatures and merits. This set makes a nice spot for itself in there, definitely besting the PM-3 and Sine but not quite beating things like the HD700.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,049 of 8,052
And the strap came off .. :/
will try to open the slider and fix it later .. back to my X2
Four days since receiving my M1060 and already had two out of the three issues reported (stock cable cutting off and strap coming off). The only remaining issue to be seen is the wood crack. Hopefully it will not come to that (fingers crossed).
I am thinking of using the strap as a template if I can find someone good with leather crafts.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,051 of 8,052
And the strap came off .. :/
will try to open the slider and fix it later .. back to my X2
Four days since receiving my M1060 and already had two out of the three issues reported (stock cable cutting off and strap coming off). The only remaining issue to be seen is the wood crack. Hopefully it will not come to that (fingers crossed).
I am thinking of using the strap as a template if I can find someone good with leather crafts.

Exactly what mine did on day 2.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,052 of 8,052
  Can someone post an example of "nasal" sound to vocals? Give me an example track on youtube... I want to compare to some of my other cans to see if I can hear what you're talking about.

I noticed this when I A/B with my X2 using Adele's track. Her voice was more clear and natural on the X2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHsXMglC9A

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,054 of 8,052

Brawny, but i'm sure any would work. I think cskippy used toilet paper to start then switched to paper towels. Not sure what the sound implications would be of different materials. 

Here's something that I've been thinking: What type of "black" paper could be used? I don't ever see black paper towels in the store. 
 Could you use black party napkins? Black wrapping paper? Perhaps we can do some experimentation for those who would prefer  black over white paper for appearance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back