Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #4,936 of 5,150
Just got my Tungsram tubes in the mail and my LP is already warmed up and ready for a listen.
I’m a total noob when it comes to tubes. If I’m hearing things right then I think these bring toward more clarity and speed. Losing the round, warmer sound of the stock EH but gaining a bit more detail retrieval at the expense of losing a bit of bass.

Or I’m totally off but the LP still sounds pretty good.
IMG_9381.jpeg

This is such a great hobby!!

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #4,937 of 5,150
Just got my Tungsram tubes in the mail and my LP is already warmed up and ready for a listen.
I’m a total noob when it comes to tubes. If I’m hearing things right then I think these bring toward more clarity and speed. Losing the round, warmer sound of the stock EH but gaining a bit more detail retrieval at the expense of losing a bit of bass.

Or I’m totally off but the LP still sounds pretty good.
IMG_9381.jpeg
If those are the ‘red print’ Tungsram E88CCs, those are wonderful. Give them 50 hours or so to come on song.

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #4,938 of 5,150
I would give some of the phillips/amperex ECC88s a try, I have the SQ and they have great bass.
Also some of the better russian 6n23ps have good bass too.
I wish the heater in this amp allowed for the use of 6n6p, these tubes work well in 6922/6dj8 circuits without mods and sound wonderful.

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #4,939 of 5,150
If those are the ‘red print’ Tungsram E88CCs, those are wonderful. Give them 50 hours or so to come on song.
Indeed they are a pair of red print Tungsram. I found them already lightly used according to the seller in the classifieds.

I actually picked them up because I read your recommendation of them. I also understand that rolling doesn't make too much of an impactful difference vs an OTL.

I actually used to own a Feliks Euforia with various NOS tubes and their PS Vane recommended tubes. I quickly moved on
to planars once I realized I prefer the technicalities planars bring about. I loved having an OTL amp but I had to sell it when it couldn't drive my Diana V2 at the time. I realized that id have to settle for a SS amp since getting a true tube amp to drive low impedance planars was out of my budget.

Ive always loved the tube look and always read praises about the tube sound. Im actually considering selling off my XI Audio stack and getting a beefier tube amp that can drive my Hifiman HEK and Final D8KP.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #4,940 of 5,150
Indeed they are a pair of red print Tungsram. I found them already lightly used according to the seller in the classifieds.

I actually picked them up because I read your recommendation of them. I also understand that rolling doesn't make too much of an impactful difference vs an OTL.

I actually used to own a Feliks Euforia with various NOS tubes and their PS Vane recommended tubes. I quickly moved on
to planars once I realized I prefer the technicalities planars bring about. I loved having an OTL amp but I had to sell it when it couldn't drive my Diana V2 at the time. I realized that id have to settle for a SS amp since getting a true tube amp to drive low impedance planars was out of my budget.

Ive always loved the tube look and always read praises about the tube sound. Im actually considering selling off my XI Audio stack and getting a beefier tube amp that can drive my Hifiman HEK and Final D8KP.
Not to the extent with an all-tube h/p/a, OTC or OTL, but you should hear in LP sonic differences from tube changes. These differences will be more apparent if you change from 6DJ8 / 6922 / E88CC tubes to 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes (with adapters).

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #4,942 of 5,150
Most of the time … 😒:
BBB6BE96-1898-4812-B04E-F4F82802ABD3.jpeg

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #4,943 of 5,150
Worth it …

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #4,944 of 5,150
Said virtually no significant other when they hear about the money spent…
Some of the best stories I have ever heard are in regard to how audio enthusiasts plan their equipment
purchases during the time their significant others are out of town. Also, how they attempt
to camouflage the new equipment within their systems in order to avoid detection. lol

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,945 of 5,150
Some of the best stories I have ever heard are in regard to how audio enthusiasts plan their equipment
purchases during the time their significant others are out of town. Also, how they attempt
to camouflage the new equipment within their systems in order to avoid detection. lol
I'm the female of the house. No need to hide anything. Your biggest concern with me would be using your gear on my setup, including tubes. :D

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #4,946 of 5,150
I'm the female of the house. No need to hide anything. Your biggest concern with me would be using your gear on my setup, including tubes. :D
LOL 😊

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #4,947 of 5,150
Possibly, the most felicitous headphone pairing with Liquid Platinum … Focal Clear OG.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #4,948 of 5,150
I got into audio when I was working on the opposite Coast, living in an apartment and only occasionally getting to go home. I stumbled upon Massdrop and bought some gear, and it spiraled (my wife would say out of control!) from there to more purchases from many sites over two years to quite a few headphones, amps, and DACs. My wife flew out to take care of me when I became very ill, never before having visited me there. When, exploring the small apartment, she opened the door to my spare bedroom and was greeted by headphones arrayed against three of the room’s walls, and a table with more headphones along with multiple amps and DACs…. I was so busted!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #4,949 of 5,150
I got into audio when I was working on the opposite Coast, living in an apartment and only occasionally getting to go home. I stumbled upon Massdrop and bought some gear, and it spiraled (my wife would say out of control!) from there to more purchases from many sites over two years to quite a few headphones, amps, and DACs. My wife flew out to take care of me when I became very ill, never before having visited me there. When, exploring the small apartment, she opened the door to my spare bedroom she was greeted by headphones arrayed against three of the room’s walls, and a table with more headphones along with multiple amps and DACs…. I was so busted!
Sounds about right. lol Hope you're feeling much better these days with the time to enjoy this hobby; but more importantly,
your loved ones. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back