Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 15, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #4,861 of 5,150
Has anyone had experience with the monoprice ebay store? I'm getting my check Early today and they have quite a few available open box on there.

I'm getting to the point I just need to get one headed my way. If their eBay store is okay, I may even go ahead and grab two for a bulk price and an extra.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #4,862 of 5,150
Has anyone had experience with the monoprice ebay store? I'm getting my check Early today and they have quite a few available open box on there.

I'm getting to the point I just need to get one headed my way. If their eBay store is okay, I may even go ahead and grab two for a bulk price and an extra.
They ship from Monoprice, they just use the Ebay Store portal as a clearance portal. Same for the Walmart.com storefront. The benefit of the Ebay front is that you get all the Ebay buyer protections, and Paypal options, and MP has to adhere to Ebay's selling and shipping guarantees. (as in being timely in getting something shipped)

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,863 of 5,150
They ship from Monoprice, they just use the Ebay Store portal as a clearance portal. Same for the Walmart.com storefront. The benefit of the Ebay front is that you get all the Ebay buyer protections, and Paypal options, and MP has to adhere to Ebay's selling and shipping guarantees. (as in being timely in getting something shipped)
Excellent. Well with the first one on it's return path, and the lost one pending cancellation, went ahead and grabbed 2 open box off the eBay store. Figure with their 30 day replacement policy on open box it'll give me time to make sure everything is okay. Got myself excited to have an extra amp for experimental tube rolling, so taking advantage of the "bulk" pricing seemed apt. Fingers crossed.

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4,864 of 5,150
Well they both seem to work out of the box just fine. I have a question though. The PSU that came with one was the same as the first unit I got, the second one had a different style of PSU that was not grounded. It still was in a monolith box (the PSU), albeit a skinnier one. Did they switch out the PSU at some point when making these?

They both work, so I'll use the ungrounded one as the experimental rolling unit (after I get the ups that's headed my way). Just didn't know if this was a legitimate manufacturing thing or one is a second hand PSU.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #4,865 of 5,150
Well they both seem to work out of the box just fine. I have a question though. The PSU that came with one was the same as the first unit I got, the second one had a different style of PSU that was not grounded. It still was in a monolith box (the PSU), albeit a skinnier one. Did they switch out the PSU at some point when making these?

They both work, so I'll use the ungrounded one as the experimental rolling unit (after I get the ups that's headed my way). Just didn't know if this was a legitimate manufacturing thing or one is a second hand PSU.

The power supply did change. The first LP I got when it was first released in 2018 used a physically smaller power brick with a two prong IEC C7 style connector.

The later LP that I got in 2020 has a physically larger power brick with a three prong IEC C13 style connector.

The amp I got in 2018 with the two prong power supply design is my daily use amp and is still going strong. No issues with the power supply after 5 years of use.

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #4,866 of 5,150
The power supply did change. The first LP I got when it was first released in 2018 used a physically smaller power brick with a two prong IEC C7 style connector.

The later LP that I got in 2020 has a physically larger power brick with a three prong IEC C13 style connector.

The amp I got in 2018 with the two prong power supply design is my daily use amp and is still going strong. No issues with the power supply after 5 years of use.
Thank you! Was just wondering what was up with that. As I said they both still work so it's all fine with me. Happy to hear it was a legitimate manufacturing thing and someone who opened a box didn't pull a fast one on monoprice.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,867 of 5,150
Just picked one up for a good deal for my office system. Very impressed so far.

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #4,868 of 5,150
PSA: Liquid Platinum open box just dropped to $ 249. I already got one from the marketplace here after missing out on Monoprice's sweet inventory clearance deal, but it had Valvo 6922 tubes on it which is pretty sweet. Nonetheless, I am getting an open box because it's such a good deal and so that I can have one with the stock tubes.

Jun 23, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #4,869 of 5,150
Picked one up to replace my busted M^3. Going from the M^3 to a Magni was more of a downgrade than I expected so i'm hoping this is closer to the m^3.

Edit: Fixed my M^3 and fixed some clipping issues with the Magni so I was able to compare and the Magni is not as bad as my first impression. The M^3 has opa637s so its a very smooth warm sound and the Magni is more sharp and midrange orientated. With a little EQing I got the Magni sounding more to my liking and can confirm it is a solid amp for the price. I'm excited to compare these two amps to the Liquid Plat coming this week.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #4,870 of 5,150
PSA: Liquid Platinum open box just dropped to $ 249. I already got one from the marketplace here after missing out on Monoprice's sweet inventory clearance deal, but it had Valvo 6922 tubes on it which is pretty sweet. Nonetheless, I am getting an open box because it's such a good deal and so that I can have one with the stock tubes.
Valvo E88CC s are glorious sounding !! ☑️

Jun 23, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #4,871 of 5,150
I have a higher end M^3, a Whammy and the Monoprice LP and LG. The Monoprice amps are noticeably better with my planar headphones. I like low impedance dynamics with the M^3 and Whammy but the M^3 in particular is still great sounding with planars. All of these amps can sound exceptional with some system matching.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #4,872 of 5,150
It is delightful to be reminded how great is the pairing of Audeze LCD-X and Liquid Platinum! [LCD-X is 2016 vintage; tubes in LP are RFT ECC82 ‘foil getter’ on 12Axx—>ECC88 adapters.]

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,873 of 5,150
This is likely beyond the pale of sanity …
F5A94A3C-56C7-4DC8-AD03-F94AC33F2B66.jpeg
9CF7C7C7-5FEE-4B9D-87C8-1670F421DE0C.jpeg
2E04DF6D-DDF5-436F-A02B-66F1AA8FBF73.jpeg
The ‘best’ sound that I have heard from Liquid Platinum.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #4,874 of 5,150
I just ordered an open box unit, can't wait for it to arrive! Are there any recommendation for tubes for HD600? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #4,875 of 5,150
I just ordered one, can't wait for it to arrive! Are there any recommendation for tubes for HD600? Thanks in advance.
• By your ‘signature’, I see that LP is your first tube (or hybrid solid-state / tube) headphone amplifier.
• For the moment, let’s stick with tubes that can be used, without adapters, in LP.
• Those tubes (6922 / 6DJ8 type) that I suggest are: Amperex PQ 6922, Amperex PQ 7308, Brimar CV2492, Gold Lion / Genalex 6922, Philips BEL E88CC, Raytheon CK 6922, Sylvania 6922, Tungsram E88CC … among others.
• I have used (“rolled”) these tubes in LP and in other headphone amplifiers that I own. Each of these tubes has its own sonic character but absolutely ‘serves the music’.
• EDIT: the suggestions above have been offered with sound quality foremost in mind, without getting into the ultra-price tube arena. Your budget may (will?) dictate your choice(s).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back