Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 5, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #4,741 of 5,150
Depends on your volume pot. On mine, I can go that high w/o destroying my M1570. I think there was an issue of Monoprice using the wrong pot scale, which was later rectified. Mine also doesn't have those crazy volume jumps.

I have an early LP and a later LP. Both have the same volume progression and will be equally loud at 2:00 like the volume knob is in the Monoprice photo.

If you're listening with the volume knob at 2:00 you've either got inefficient headphones or a DAC that has low output voltage (or a combination of both).

Get yourself a handheld dB meter and a baffle to measure your headphone listening volume. You're very likely listening at unsafe volume levels.

May 5, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #4,742 of 5,150
Ya, I can turn it up to that level pretty comfortably. Depending on mastering.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #4,744 of 5,150
One of the nice things about using the 12au7 tubes is they have a lower amplification factor, or mu of 19 vs 33 for the 6922 tubes. I can comfortably turn my volume beyond 10:00 now and the LP doesn’t get really loud until about 11:00 - 11:30. I never really noticed a channel imbalance anyway, but it’s great to know I’m in the more linear area of the volume control.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #4,745 of 5,150
I run m1570c from LP
Up until 10’o clock the range is usable but there is a sudden jump in volume at 11’o clock. I dare not to turn it past that
I don’t get that thank god. I don’t hear the channel imbalance either.

May 5, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #4,746 of 5,150
Wow, looks like it is official now. LP is discontinued.

I'm so glad I bought my unit in March during the discount. I really enjoy it. I'm a bit sad and surprised, because it is a great value, even at $400-$500.

I hope my units lasts. I wonder what happens if there is warranty issue. Most companies keep a stock of older models for warranty exchanges. I doubt Monoprice will do that. So not sure what they will do?

May 5, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #4,747 of 5,150
Amazon still has plenty. Not at the sale price but 450 isn’t bad if you really want one.

May 5, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #4,748 of 5,150
.-.-.-.-.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,749 of 5,150
I see 16 left.

Monolith Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier - Designed by Alex Cavalli | 3.6 Watts Per Channel, Fully Balanced Amp https://a.co/d/cqltu9D

IMG_1325.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #4,751 of 5,150
Ok, that went over my head for a few. So it looks like you have two? :)
Yes. One uses only 6922 / 7308 / E88CC / ECC88 tubes; the other uses, via adapter, only 12AU7 / 5814 / ECC82 / ECC802 tubes.

May 6, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,752 of 5,150
I have an early LP and a later LP. Both have the same volume progression and will be equally loud at 2:00 like the volume knob is in the Monoprice photo.

If you're listening with the volume knob at 2:00 you've either got inefficient headphones or a DAC that has low output voltage (or a combination of both).

Get yourself a handheld dB meter and a baffle to measure your headphone listening volume. You're very likely listening at unsafe volume levels.
I didn't say I use it at that, I just said I can w/o destroying the headphones. My normal listening point is about 10:00-11:00.

May 6, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,753 of 5,150
I didn't say I use it at that, I just said I can w/o destroying the headphones. My normal listening point is about 10:00-11:00.

I was commenting about listening levels with the volume knob that high. And worried about someone destroying their ears. It just freaks me out to see a picture of the LP with the volume knob that high. Yikes! (assuming normal source voltage levels and no external attenuation done by the DAC or elsewhere)

Many of the planar headphones, and others, can be played very loud without damage as long as the amp and music isn't clipping or distorting. What destroys the headphone driver is clipping. And the Liquid Platinum isn't going to clip at that volume knob position. So the headphones can survive that, but your ears probably won't.

The Cavalli smooth sounding "liquid" sound as in the Liquid Platinum makes it much easier to listen to 100 dB levels without realising it. Most other amps will start to sound harsh and the sound quality will constrict and give your ears clues that the sound is really too loud when driving planars like Audeze headphones that loud. But the Liquid Platinum stays nice and smooth and the music continues to breathe at that volume. It's very easy for those unaware to play headphones at an unsafe listening level with an amp like this.

So as a public service I like to remind people to be careful with that volume knob with the Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold.

May 9, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,754 of 5,150
I purchased a LP in March from Target, today I set it up for the first time using a new LP DAC and a new pair of Monolith M1570. After about 40 minutes of listening it red lighted and then continued to play for about 20 minutes, after that it won't output sound. There was no unusual sounds or any other symptoms other than the 1st red light it recovered from. It did seem a little warmer than my other LP, I let it cool off and switched tubes and DAC and different cans but still don't get any sound. It does seem to boot correctly showing red light then turning white. Do you have any ideas what might be wrong or anything I can try? I called Monoprice and was told to request a refund from Target, I informed them it wasn't returnable through Target and they said I could wait for the item to come back in stock, I then informed them it's discontinued and it's looking like they won't refund or honor warranty. If they won't refund is it worth seeking after market repair? I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #4,755 of 5,150
Are you using the M1570 headphone with a balanced cable to the LP or a single-ended TRS cable?
One possibility if using a 1/4" TRS cable is that the headphone cable wasn't plugged in all the way and created a contact problem that the LP protection detected as a fault.

Find a balanced headphone cable and try using the balanced 4-pin output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back