Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #4,666 of 5,150
Yeah I caught the sales just right and got my second one for just over $300 including taxes. Unbelievable deal! One will remain stock 6922 tubes and the other 12au7, maybe the cap mod. At that price I can afford to have some fun with it. 😎
I used to have a ‘capmodded’ LP about two years ago. The sound was crisp & energetic - leaning much further towards archetypal SS sound. I now enjoy LP for what it is / can be with the right NOS tubes. [ If I want SS ‘done right’, I turn to Violectric HPA V281. 🙂 ] I like the ‘native’ tube / ‘adapted’ tube pairing of LP … 😏😉.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #4,667 of 5,150
I used to have a ‘capmodded’ LP about two years ago. The sound was crisp & energetic - leaning much further towards archetypal SS sound. I now enjoy LP for what it is / can be with the right NOS tubes. [ If I want SS ‘done right’, I turn to Violectric HPA V281. 🙂 ] I like the ‘native’ tube / ‘adapted’ tube pairing of LP … 😏😉.
I’ve heard this “more like solid state” characterization many times in reference to the cap mod. Thats why I’ve been hesitant to start, I really don’t want a thin sound or hyped treble, that sets my ears off ringing like crazy. I figured I’d spend some time (and money) rolling tubes first and see where that leads. I’ve read this entire thread and I know you've spent a lot of time with the LP, the fact you no longer have a cap modded unit tells me a lot. 👍

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #4,668 of 5,150
I’ve heard this “more like solid state” characterization many times in reference to the cap mod. Thats why I’ve been hesitant to start, I really don’t want a thin sound or hyped treble, that sets my ears off ringing like crazy. I figured I’d spend some time (and money) rolling tubes first and see where that leads. I’ve read this entire thread and I know you've spent a lot of time with the LP, the fact you no longer have a cap modded unit tells me a lot. 👍
Personally, I've had both (un-modded and cap-modded). I didn't find the cap-mod created a thin sound or hyped treble at all. And to me, tube rolling had/has more impact on the sound signature than the cap mod.

I would say the cap-mod is a little less 'tube-y', but only a little. I do like the cap-mod better with my Siemens tubes, which could get a little sloppy in the bass on some tracks. Cap-mod made the bass a little tighter.

I hear what @jonathan c said about SS 'done right' -- I used to own a V280 and enjoyed it a lot. Eventually sold it to help fund a DSHA 3F.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #4,669 of 5,150
Personally, I've had both (un-modded and cap-modded). I didn't find the cap-mod created a thin sound or hyped treble at all. And to me, tube rolling had/has more impact on the sound signature than the cap mod.

I would say the cap-mod is a little less 'tube-y', but only a little. I do like the cap-mod better with my Siemens tubes, which could get a little sloppy in the bass on some tracks. Cap-mod made the bass a little tighter.

I hear what @jonathan c said about SS 'done right' -- I used to own a V280 and enjoyed it a lot. Eventually sold it to help fund a DSHA 3F.
Do you still have and regularly use the cap modded LP? Is the sound something you clearly prefer over an unmodded unit? And that’s the thing, I cant hear the amp in advance, I‘d have to do the mod. And only then would I know if I like it or not. And what if I don’t, can I easily put it back to stock? It’s not like I’m dissatisfied with what I have now. It’s more about exploring different sound signatures, learning about tubes, practicing diy projects…you know, hobbying. I’m not ruling out the cap mod, I’m just undecided. Thank you for taking time to give me your input! 😎

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #4,670 of 5,150
Do you still have and regularly use the cap modded LP? Is the sound something you clearly prefer over an unmodded unit? And that’s the thing, I cant hear the amp in advance, I‘d have to do the mod. And only then would I know if I like it or not. And what if I don’t, can I easily put it back to stock? It’s not like I’m dissatisfied with what I have now. It’s more about exploring different sound signatures, learning about tubes, practicing diy projects…you know, hobbying. I’m not ruling out the cap mod, I’m just undecided. Thank you for taking time to give me your input! 😎
Yes, still have it, still use it. I'm a bit 'amp-rich' at the moment w/ LP, Liquid Gold X, DSHA-3F, TT2, Audio-GD Master 11, and my latest acquisition, Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball.

I'd say the most noticeable improvement is a matter of 'refinement'. But I'm in the same boat as you -- could never A/B them side-by-side. So it may be that much of my preferences come down to expectation bias.

I do know that I like the sound and continue to enjoy it, even though there are competitors in the house :)

Seems like 'back to stock' mostly depends on how non-destructively you can remove the original components. I didn't do the mod myself, so I have no idea how feasible that is, sorry.

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #4,671 of 5,150
One thing to keep in mind about tubes (even $$$ NOS tubes, if you choose) in Liquid Platinum. Because they are in the preamp stage, while the output stage is solid-state, the tubes are not ‘carrying all the freight’ of amplification. The tubes’ life (~ 5000 to 8000 hours, depending on tube type) should be extended because of this - barring either a defect in the tubes or an amplifier mishap.
Regarding the pre-amp vs output stage description, that is not correct. See this link to Dr Alex Cavalli's explanation earlier in this thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...-by-alex-cavalli.876406/page-85#post-14724080

He specifically called out that Liquid Fire, Liquid Crimson, and Liquid Platinum use "embedded" or "blended" hybrid design. The tube and solid state are blended into the circuit. It is not "front end" and "back end" design in most other hybrid amps.

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #4,672 of 5,150
Yes, still have it, still use it. I'm a bit 'amp-rich' at the moment w/ LP, Liquid Gold X, DSHA-3F, TT2, Audio-GD Master 11, and my latest acquisition, Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball.

I'd say the most noticeable improvement is a matter of 'refinement'. But I'm in the same boat as you -- could never A/B them side-by-side. So it may be that much of my preferences come down to expectation bias.

I do know that I like the sound and continue to enjoy it, even though there are competitors in the house :)

Seems like 'back to stock' mostly depends on how non-destructively you can remove the original components. I didn't do the mod myself, so I have no idea how feasible that is, sorry.
My Bottlehead Crack is currently my go to amp. No speedball, just full on tubey goodness, man I love that sound! @bagwell359 described a method of cutting off the old caps near their base and crimping the new caps to the remaining leads, no soldering required. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if that’s a good idea, but it would seem a simple thing to revert if needed, desolder old leads, insert and solder new leads of original spec caps back in, with the added benefit of the leads being the same diameter as removed. The devil, however, is in the details I’ll wager.

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #4,673 of 5,150
Monoprice canceled my second order for a Liquid Platinum today. So looks like I won't be getting another LP for a second system unless they build more.

Tried to order one back on April 6th when it was on sale along with a 15% discount. They canceled that order on the 10th when they said it was out of stock. I contacted support to see if their concierge could help me get a Liquid Platinum. They couldn't. Then a few days later they find more stock and I place a new order on the 13th. And on the 18th they canceled that order. For 12 days I've been trying to buy a Liquid Platinum and unable. 12 days of order limbo only to be denied.

Their concierge service is incompetent.

The good news is that I ordered a Nitsch Piety amp on Sunday. It will be here Wednesday. That was easy.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #4,674 of 5,150
Monoprice canceled my second order for a Liquid Platinum today. So looks like I won't be getting another LP for a second system unless they build more.

The good news is that I ordered a Nitsch Piety amp on Sunday. It will be here Wednesday. That was easy.
Wow, looks like the last batch(es) on sale are really hit-or-miss.

Grats on the Nitsch Piety. Let us know how it sounds. Not a lot of info online for this collaboration.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #4,675 of 5,150
My Bottlehead Crack is currently my go to amp. No speedball, just full on tubey goodness, man I love that sound! @bagwell359 described a method of cutting off the old caps near their base and crimping the new caps to the remaining leads, no soldering required. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if that’s a good idea, but it would seem a simple thing to revert if needed, desolder old leads, insert and solder new leads of original spec caps back in, with the added benefit of the leads being the same diameter as removed. The devil, however, is in the details I’ll wager.
I have heard two BHC - one being mine before the change to s. Set aside difficulty, just answer this question:

1. Do you enjoy full tube sound - slightly soft treble, somewhat soft bass - OR do you like hybrid tube sound, flatter at the extremes and still the warm harmonic mids. But cleaner, more defined, less syrupy.

I'm very much into having the cleaner sound of the speedball. Then I maxed out on the caps, etc. Plus the speedball gives you two tube options that really do outstrip the usual tubes. I probably have $850 tied up in it in parts, so its no longer any comparison at all - IMO.

As far as the changes if you want to, I would not chop the components - in case you decide you want to go back. Also some of the speedball parts are tight together and that may make the idea I gave you for a very open amp, actually much more difficult. Be very sure of what you are doing before you do it.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #4,676 of 5,150
I have heard two BHC - one being mine before the change to s. Set aside difficulty, just answer this question:

1. Do you enjoy full tube sound - slightly soft treble, somewhat soft bass - OR do you like hybrid tube sound, flatter at the extremes and still the warm harmonic mids. But cleaner, more defined, less syrupy.

I'm very much into having the cleaner sound of the speedball. Then I maxed out on the caps, etc. Plus the speedball gives you two tube options that really do outstrip the usual tubes. I probably have $850 tied up in it in parts, so its no longer any comparison at all - IMO.

As far as the changes if you want to, I would not chop the components - in case you decide you want to go back. Also some of the speedball parts are tight together and that may make the idea I gave you for a very open amp, actually much more difficult. Be very sure of what you are doing before you do it.
Sorry man, i guess sometimes I don’t express myself well enough. The first sentence was me telling @LCMusicLover that I also enjoy my Bottlehead Crack, just without the Speedball upgrade. The second part I was talking about doing the cap mod to one of my Liquid Platinums. I liked your idea of crimping the new caps, which has the advantage of not having to try fitting the larger diameter leads of the new caps into the board and also means if I wanted to revert to stock, a quick desolder old leads and resolder new stock caps in place would take care of it. Less futzing with the solder on the board, less chance of messing it up. I’m too good at that part!🤓 Ive just never heard of anyone else using crimps like that (heck I never even soldered before I built my BHC) and I’m not experienced enough to make a judgement on that technique.

I do like the full tube sound of my BHC and have no intentions of modding it at this time, but I also really enjoy the hybrid tube sound of my LP‘s. My quandary lies in whether I like the hybrid sound enough to do the cap mod and have one of my LP’s take on more of the characteristics of a solid state amp. The sense I’m getting from others is if I really want solid state it’s probably best to buy a quality solid state amp and let the LP do what it does best in its stock form. (Aside from tube rolling, that is.)

Again sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for your thoughtful response.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #4,677 of 5,150
Sorry man, i guess sometimes I don’t express myself well enough. The first sentence was me telling @LCMusicLover that I also enjoy my Bottlehead Crack, just without the Speedball upgrade. The second part I was talking about doing the cap mod to one of my Liquid Platinums. I liked your idea of crimping the new caps, which has the advantage of not having to try fitting the larger diameter leads of the new caps into the board and also means if I wanted to revert to stock, a quick desolder old leads and resolder new stock caps in place would take care of it. Less futzing with the solder on the board, less chance of messing it up. I’m too good at that part!🤓 Ive just never heard of anyone else using crimps like that (heck I never even soldered before I built my BHC) and I’m not experienced enough to make a judgement on that technique.
It should be fine with 3 big caps, the smaller ones, can't tell until I see them up close.
I do like the full tube sound of my BHC and have no intentions of modding it at this time, but I also really enjoy the hybrid tube sound of my LP‘s. My quandary lies in whether I like the hybrid sound enough to do the cap mod and have one of my LP’s take on more of the characteristics of a solid state amp. The sense I’m getting from others is if I really want solid state it’s probably best to buy a quality solid state amp and let the LP do what it does best in its stock form. (Aside from tube rolling, that is.)

Again sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for your thoughtful response.
Ummmm.. in the headphone world, the low impedance cans (< 100 ohms) seems to like SS. But on the 300-600 ohm range all the cans I tried really prefer OTL tube amps. Got my hammer SS amp and my OTL tube. Unless you swing one way or another with only high or low impedance - two amps is good to have,

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #4,678 of 5,150
It should be fine with 3 big caps, the smaller ones, can't tell until I see them up close.

Ummmm.. in the headphone world, the low impedance cans (< 100 ohms) seems to like SS. But on the 300-600 ohm range all the cans I tried really prefer OTL tube amps. Got my hammer SS amp and my OTL tube. Unless you swing one way or another with only high or low impedance - two amps is good to have,
Yup, my Senns sound wonderful on the LP but really come into their own on the BHC. I’m seriously considering trying the Neumann NDH-30’s on my LP. Those phones certainly seem to be garnering high praise. The impression I get is they have an uncolored presentation and are very revealing of both the recording quality and the upstream components.They’re not super low impedance at 120 ohms, but they are 104 dB sensitive. Seems like they would be a fantastic match for the Liquid Platinum. Maybe a good purely SS amp is in my future…. Sure do love my tubes though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back